Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: thermostat or not?  (Read 725 times)

Impact Pete

• Intermediate Member
  • Derby
    • Elite V6 2.6 estate
    • View Profile
    • Custom Flightcase manufacture
thermostat or not?
« on: 14 February 2010, 19:37:25 »

After 3 hard weeks of sorting car out for MOT I took it for a spin.. To Kent 200 miles to be precise! it usually has the temp gauge at 80 to 90deg, it now reads around 60 or nothing.

Is this a simple thermostat issue or maybe something else? The inside of the car is staying warm if that helps. The more I fix on the car the more that goes wrong but she still is a fantastic cruiser, she was firing on 4 or 5 cylinders alot of the way due to the oil leak from the cam covers(being sorted soon)
www.impactcls.co.uk - Flight Case Manufacture

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: thermostat or not?
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2010, 19:39:00 »

yup if it never gets past 80 on a long run, then its the stat. Not a fun job  :'(

Abiton

« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2010, 19:41:58 »

Sounds more like gauge sender connection is dodgy to me.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2010, 19:43:47 »

worth checking the temp sender on the coolant bridge, but if its not been touched in a while, its going to be the stat. If it never moved off 0 could be the sender, but as it gets to 60, points to stat

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2010, 22:48:56 »

Easy way to check the stat ..

Lift the bonnet. Start engine from cold (overnight) and leave to idle. Stand with one hand on the big pipe to the top of the radiator (don't wear gloves !!)

If the temperature of the pipe very slowly increases the stat is stuck open and requires changing

If the temperature remains cold until a sudden surge of heat occurs the stat has worked. ie. it has remained closed until it a temperature is reached and then opens ... 99% of the time this means the stat is good.

The other 1% the stat is working but opening at the "wrong" temp. Stat will still need changing -  fairly rare for this to happen.

Stat change on the V6 is NOT fun ... having watched mine being done I'm glad I chickened out .. :)  Elite Pete, Daz LooKnee, JamesV6CDX, all offer the service.... IMHO pay em to do it .. !!!
« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 22:50:09 by entwood »

Dave Elite

• Ellesmere Port
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2010, 23:11:23 »

If it is the stat, change it yourself. I did mine a few weeks ago, its not as bad as people make out IMO.

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2010, 02:52:50 »

Sure sounds like the stat. Do what I do - Same as Entwood's post to be sure. If it is the stat be brave! Its not such a bad job, you just need a bit of patience and work methodically by following the guide. The worst bit is that dreaded B bolt, but even that ain't that bad if you get the battery out of the way and undo the power steering reserviour from its mounting (I didn't take the pipe off at all.) Make sure you get 2 new o rings for the transfer pipe, they are not included in the kit.  (if you get the full new type housing) a couple of longer bolts. They made the housing flange thicker cos it was prone to snapping its lugs. Put some instant gasket on the stat o ring to hold it in place cos it has a habit of slipping from its groove as you put the housing back. You can buy a stat insert for  a tenner if you are cash strapped too.
Took me a couple of hours last time I did one for someone but that was with practice and like I said working with patience. Good weather or shelter, loads of tea and a bit of music helps!!!!!!!!
Need  a talk through while you are at it? Just PM and I will send you my number.
GudLuk
« Last Edit: 15 February 2010, 02:54:03 by its.ray »
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 February 2010, 10:28:07 »

I notice on my newly aquired 2.6 that the gauge  temperature is low when the heater blower is on.  switch it off and temperature comes up to 85-90. I assume that the heater takes hot water from the engine side rather than the radiator side hence the cooling effect

Impact Pete

• Intermediate Member
  • Derby
    • Elite V6 2.6 estate
    • View Profile
    • Custom Flightcase manufacture
« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2010, 11:06:26 »

Easy way to check the stat ..

Lift the bonnet. Start engine from cold (overnight) and leave to idle. Stand with one hand on the big pipe to the top of the radiator (don't wear gloves !!)

If the temperature of the pipe very slowly increases the stat is stuck open and requires changing

If the temperature remains cold until a sudden surge of heat occurs the stat has worked. ie. it has remained closed until it a temperature is reached and then opens ... 99% of the time this means the stat is good.

The other 1% the stat is working but opening at the "wrong" temp. Stat will still need changing -  fairly rare for this to happen.

Stat change on the V6 is NOT fun ... having watched mine being done I'm glad I chickened out .. :)  Elite Pete, Daz LooKnee, JamesV6CDX, all offer the service.... IMHO pay em to do it .. !!!

Was a verycold morning today so tried your test, after 5 mins plus the main hose seemed to go warm but can't really be sure if it was instant or slow. When for a local spin and after engine warmed up temp gauge was where you would expect, parked for 10mins with engine running and as expected temp gauge slowly increased.

Seems oddon long 200 mile journey it was regestering 0 and sometimes 60deg.
Will see what happens on way home tomorrow :-/
www.impactcls.co.uk - Flight Case Manufacture
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.