Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mystery Oil ?  (Read 647 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Mystery Oil ?
« on: 25 February 2010, 09:22:36 »

I raised this a few months ago,but never really got a definitive solution  and as it has raised its head again thought I would seek further advise.
Directly ontop of the steering box on the drivers side of engine bay is a star headed bolt which goes into the steering box and I assume is some form of tensioner.
Every few weeks I get a dirty oily leak appearing around this bolt and am wondering if it has a seal which could of perished and requires replacing.
The oil is very grey/black and is difficult to tell if it is pas fluid but I imagine it must be given the location.The pas reservoir is at level and the colour of its contents is a nice cherry red so assume fluid in system is sound.
Any suggestions as I have no issues with the steering and as it seems only to be a minor seep should I just accept it ?.
I am also certain that it is not a drip/leak from any where else and just laying on there.

rustym95

• Omega Knight
  • Rotherham south yorks
  • carn't get up dont go out!!
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Oil ?
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2010, 10:32:32 »

can you not take bolt out and put need rubber seal or copper, says in book, see if that stops it, not done this but would think the seal has gone.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2010, 10:33:59 by Russell_Hill »
Omega's is a life not just a car. also do ecu codes read and wiped or rest.., fix LCD tv & DVD recorders PS3's and most electrical equipment just e-mail me.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2010, 11:23:11 »

Check the securing nut around the bolt is tight.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2010, 12:35:57 »

Thanks,Mark...so short of the securing nut being a bit loose there is no seal that has perished ?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2010, 12:38:44 »

Certainly never seen any evidence of a seal in that area

mantahatch

« Reply #5 on: 25 February 2010, 12:47:15 »

Certainly never seen any evidence of a seal in that area

Would there be an O ring or 2 on the adjuster bolt part ?

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2010, 12:55:03 »

So worse can scenario is fluid is coming out around the nut ?..is it just a matter of undoing it as said before assume the star headed bolt is some form of steering adjuster and I don,t want to start getting involed with those complications.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2010, 13:14:38 »

So worse can scenario is fluid is coming out around the nut ?..is it just a matter of undoing it as said before assume the star headed bolt is some form of steering adjuster and I don,t want to start getting involed with those complications.

Yes, it is an adjuster used to set the running clearance inside the steering box. Without knowing what mechanism lies behind it I would not recommend "undoing it" in case something inside goes "ping" and you're then into removing and rebuilding the steering box. ;)

I would put up with it if the leak is bearable.

kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2010, 13:42:12 »

I will just try "nipping"up the nut a bit...will this eventually run dry if leaking ??although as said leak is fairly minimal.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2010, 13:44:05 »

I will just try "nipping"up the nut a bit...will this eventually run dry if leaking ??although as said leak is fairly minimal.

Yep, if it's the one I'm thinking about you need a torx bit to keep the adjuster still while you nip up the locknut around it.

I would have thought it's PAS fluid unless there is a separate section of the box that's packed with grease, so just keep an eye on the PAS fluid level I'd say.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.