Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Torque converter rattle?  (Read 669 times)

acura

• Lancashire
    • View Profile
Torque converter rattle?
« on: 13 May 2010, 20:59:52 »

After 6 months (on and off) of trying to locate a rattle and eliminating ex-manifold studs I now suspect the TC.

The rattle is not there on cold start but comes in as the car begines to warm up. It's an engine speed related rattle and disappears when the revs pass over around 1700 rpm, whether under load or not. I was listening to it earlier and the noise seemed to be louder from under the car. Too light to be big end/main bearings so this left either the balancer shafts or the TC (area).It's been there since I got the car 6 months and 4Kmiles ago and it was masked by manifold stud problems. The auto box performs perfectly and tugs the pikey wagon no problem.

Could the TC rattle and does this mean immenent problems? I can live with the noise as long as everything works ok.
From Consul 375 to Omega, 30 cars and counting.....

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
  • this is some MOT advisory list!.
    • View Profile
Re: Torque converter rattle?
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2010, 22:16:29 »

this might sound daft but could it be just loose baffles in the exhaust or a heat shield. :-/

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2010, 22:24:29 »

the torque converter itself should not rattle but it be coming loose on the driveplate or the plate could be breaking up.do you get a metallic clang when you engage drive?
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

acura

• Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2010, 23:37:09 »

Thanks Alf & Henry,

I don't think its baffles, sounds a bit too mechanical.

The auto transmission behaves perfectly, no jolts or noises and changes up and down as it should. Maybe it is coming loose but has been like this for at least 4K miles and 6 months. I guess the TC may be coming loose but its not deteriorating. Maybe I need to get a guy like Darth to listen to it and give a verdict. Any further suggestions would be most welcome.  :y
From Consul 375 to Omega, 30 cars and counting.....

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2010, 23:41:51 »

Thanks Alf & Henry,

I don't think its baffles, sounds a bit too mechanical.

The auto transmission behaves perfectly, no jolts or noises and changes up and down as it should. Maybe it is coming loose but has been like this for at least 4K miles and 6 months. I guess the TC may be coming loose but its not deteriorating. Maybe I need to get a guy like Darth to listen to it and give a verdict. Any further suggestions would be most welcome.  :y

I had something loose around the torque converter area of my Carlton years ago. Every now & then I'd get a clunk out of it, but I couldn't make it do it. It wasn't till I had my water pump changed (crank pulley had to come off so crank needed locking) that it was found.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.