Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cam Belt & roller kit  (Read 519 times)

Mike Cook

• Dartford Kent
    • View Profile
Cam Belt & roller kit
« on: 02 July 2010, 11:05:29 »

Hello all, as you can see I have just joined the owners  forum.

I need advise on three issues so any information will be greatfully received, I have a 2000 "V" registered "B" series 3 litre elite that I have owned from new & my local dealer tells me by the VIN number it was one of the last batch of elite's built, I'm now retired I do about 5k dry miles per year & have no intention of changing it for some modern heap.

So first question, I have only done 25k miles on the existing cam belt & rollers over the last 5 years & the belt looks ok I have been told two pieces of information that conflict one says that if the belt breaks all that happens is the engine will stop without causing any damage & the other says that if the belt goes it will cause massive damage as the pistons will hit the valves, what is correct as I dont want to wreck my engine but at the same time I dont want to spend out on a new belt & rollers if I dont need to.

Second question, at about 45k I had both the front wishbones changed because of excess wear of the bottom bushes, i'm now told that if the wishbones are genuine GM parts I can just have new bushes fitted is this so.

Third question, I live in Kent near the Dartford river crossing does enyone know of a mechanic who specializes in Omega servicing & general repairs in my area.

Kind Regards

Mike Cook :)   

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Cam Belt & roller kit
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2010, 11:15:59 »

Welcome  :y

1) Assume you have a pre-facelift? (window buttons next to gear stick?) then yup thats one of the last Elites in that shape. Facelift was about at the same time, its still classed as B though, so you can get Elites up until late 2003 if you ever need a newer one

2) Cambelt & Tensioners must be changed every 4 years or 40k, regardless of how little or what type of miles you do. The tensioners can slip with age, if so the valves will have a chat with top of your engine.

3) You can fit just new bushes, it depends if they are Geniune GM, if pattern have been fitted just go whole hog and replace wishbones as they will come with bushes
« Last Edit: 02 July 2010, 11:17:01 by tunnie »

Mike Cook

• Dartford Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2010, 11:39:58 »

Hello tunnie,  :)thanks for your prompt reply & information, I will now seek out a good mechanic & get the belt, rollers & wishbone bushes changed before my MOT in August.

Kind regards

Mike

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2010, 12:18:27 »

PM 'Darth Loo Knee' his prices are very reasonable  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.012 seconds with 18 queries.