Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tick over  (Read 852 times)

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
Tick over
« on: 21 December 2010, 12:08:43 »

Morning this might be a silly question but due to this lovely weather we are having i  cant just get into the car and drive away. According to the handbook you are not aloud to start the engine and let it tick over while iam cleaning off the snow. I dont know why :-? and if i do will it cause problems. :-?

cheers
Paul.

Andyb

• Lincoln
    • View Profile
Re: Tick over
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2010, 14:05:09 »

no it wont do anyharm to the car
there are 2 reasons they put that in the owners book
1 its not good for the ozone layer (sod it )
2 if car is stolen while its running insurance is invalid
i leave my car for 10 min every morn to defrost off mind you that is at 430am

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2010, 14:18:26 »

That's not why they say don't leave your car idling. In a perfect world you should get in your car and drive off so that it gets up to working temp ASAP, but that doesn't mean drive it like you stole it! The reason is that al lthat condensate in your engine needs to evaporate off as soon as so it's not making acids in your sump. It's not from the same place, but the amount of water that pours form some exhausts when cold is staggering.
I'll let the experts fill in the details.
However in the real world when it's minus silly at 5 or 6  in the morning, I think most of us start the car, turn the fans to full and scrape/de-ice the windows.

peterm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2010, 07:50:19 »

ther is a nother reason as well ifyou look in to latest revision of higway code as well  buggers are chanig it all time now days

me iv come up with a cheper way of heating car in the cold and no scraping ice of windows ever
as car is on drive not far from doos i run an extesion lead in to car and a low wattage fan heater on a timer so when im going to work at 4 am car is all warm and ready just rool lead up and put on floor and of i go and electric is a lot chepaer than petrol now day

Boatboy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2010, 09:44:40 »

That's not why they say don't leave your car idling. In a perfect world you should get in your car and drive off so that it gets up to working temp ASAP, but that doesn't mean drive it like you stole it! The reason is that al lthat condensate in your engine needs to evaporate off as soon as so it's not making acids in your sump. It's not from the same place, but the amount of water that pours form some exhausts when cold is staggering.
I'll let the experts fill in the details.
However in the real world when it's minus silly at 5 or 6  in the morning, I think most of us start the car, turn the fans to full and scrape/de-ice the windows.

And jam the handbrake on and put her in D, hoping a little bit of load will speed the warm up. :o Just dont loiter in front ;D

steve
Every start's a bonus!
03 2.6 Elite estate. Bose my A***

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 December 2010, 09:58:32 »

can I say that I and miggy are really feeling the benifit of a Kenlowe engine pre heater in these sub zero temperatures,switch it on 1hr pre departure and then a nice hot engine ready to go :y

feeutfo

« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2010, 12:04:12 »

I wouldn't worry about it, use the car as you see fit, but bare in mind it is better to get in and drive it sensibly from cold, where sensibly possible.

Getting the car warm and up to operating temp quickly is better for all sorts or reasons, economy, cat temp. (you'll notice the car revs higher in first on the autos from cold to help the cats warm up), condensation in the exhaust and crank case is minimised etc

But at 4 am early shift on a cold morning, engine on, de ice, drive off in a warm car, bugger that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.