Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Self leveling shocks hight  (Read 674 times)

denisaok

• East London
    • View Profile
Self leveling shocks hight
« on: 12 May 2011, 13:47:10 »

Hi All
Today I heard the exhaust knocking when I went over bumps.After looking I found the the rear was sitting very low so I checked the self leveling system and found a small hole in the air line that runs in though the wheel arch behind the pump drivers side. I taped it up and the rear has now raise up but looks much to high the rear arch's are about  4" above the 16" tyres.

My questions are
1) How high should the rear be when boot empty
2) How & when dose the hight adjust up
3) How dose the hight adjust down
4) Should I of taped up the hole

To ask a question and feel idiotic for a moment is better than not to ask and be idiotic for a life time.

Big_Al

Re: Self leveling shocks hight
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2011, 19:00:05 »

Hi All
Today I heard the exhaust knocking when I went over bumps.After looking I found the the rear was sitting very low so I checked the self leveling system and found a small hole in the air line that runs in though the wheel arch behind the pump drivers side. I taped it up and the rear has now raise up but looks much to high the rear arch's are about  4" above the 16" tyres.

My questions are
1) How high should the rear be when boot empty
2) How & when dose the hight adjust up
3) How dose the hight adjust down
4) Should I of taped up the hole

1. around 675mm from ground to top centre of wheelarch on elite. Measure through centre of wheel.
2.Levelling switch on rear suspension off side.As  car is  loaded & suspension is dropped -  sensor  tells compessor to pump it up.More load =more air = self levelling

3. automaticlly - will re set its self everytime you switch off ignition. but takes a while

4.  not too sure about this .If it is a damage hole then yes. But it could be part of the outlet valve for letting the air out of the system when lowering.Hence it's now sitting high.Someone more knowledgable on here will soon tell you if this is right or wrong,

Also check that the link rod to the levelling switch has not come adrift    also could be rear springs gone"soggy"
« Last Edit: 12 May 2011, 20:18:37 by Big_Al »

denisaok

• East London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2011, 21:44:01 »

Thanks Essex Big Al
I check the link rod to the levelling switch and it has not come adrift.

Not sure how to check if rear springs gone"soggy".

I pulled both air line on shocks and then refitted and drove car about 5 miles and it now looks ok and no knocking will measure hight on Saturday.

4.  not too sure about this .If it is a damage hole then yes. But it could be part of the outlet valve for letting the air out of the system when lowering.Hence it's now sitting high.

Looked like a burst in air pipe run but could be wrong I will wait for one of the gods to read an comment.

Thanks again :y
To ask a question and feel idiotic for a moment is better than not to ask and be idiotic for a life time.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2011, 22:15:25 »

Can,t imagine the air pressure within the pipe would cause it to burst as the pipe is quite a thick rigid wall,identical to the air vacuum pipes found within the engine bay for multirams etc.

Most likely is it has chaffed against something and worn through.I did a temporary repair on mine where it had chaffed on the inner rear wheel arch by cutting the pipe section to get 2 clean ends.Then sleeved the 2 sections with a piece of thin bore fuel pipe and then securing both ends of the rubber sleeving with 2 cable ties.

Whilst it did create a total seal and proved the reason for my uneven rear shock levels I sourced a replacement section of sound original pipework and has not given a problem since.

Best advise is to replace the entire section of damaged pipe.

denisaok

• East London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2011, 22:33:52 »

Thank you amba
Think you are right I will change at the weekend
Do you or anyone else know where the outlet valve for letting the air out is

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2011, 22:36:43 »

Thank you amba
Think you are right I will change at the weekend
Do you or anyone else know where the outlet valve for letting the air out is

On the body of the pump itself  :)

denisaok

• East London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2011, 22:57:15 »

Thanks Entwood

denisaok

• East London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2011, 15:07:49 »

Hi All

Thanks for your help it started to work don't know how or why but I still replaced the air line. will keep fingers crossed now

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2011, 16:00:50 »

Glad to hear it seems to be sorted,although if the pipe was leaking can,t imagine it has sealed itself.

Possibly one of the connecters on the top of the shock was weeping air slightly and has moved back a bit with the travel of the suspension.

denisaok

• East London
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2011, 16:08:58 »

Hi amba

I repaired the pipe the other day only changed it to be safe

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.