Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ECU location?  (Read 941 times)

robbo299

• luton, beds
    • View Profile
ECU location?
« on: 27 July 2009, 21:30:04 »

Ive had a problem with a missfire on my elite and did a paperclip test today. With engine not running codes 12, 31, 18. With engine running 12 and 18. I know 12 is the start sequence but 18 is "knock control module, replace Electronic Control Unit (ECU). Any idea where it is located so i can remove it and fit new one or get it repaired? Thanx.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: ECU location?
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2009, 21:35:48 »

hmmm, thats i code I've never seen before.  ECU failure is rare.

Because its rare, I'll looked on TIS, that suggests reapplying software config if no 55 stored.
Grumpy old man

robbo299

• luton, beds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2009, 21:45:40 »

Did think it was my dis pack causing missfire but decided to do paperclip test to check for anymore gremlins. When did test i had to do it twice because when the lights flashed there seemed to be a hesitation when the light flashed. I got the first digit ok (1) but there seemed to be a delay after 3 then another 5 making 8. 1+8=18. Took video on my phone.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2009, 21:46:38 »

Did think it was my dis pack causing missfire but decided to do paperclip test to check for anymore gremlins. When did test i had to do it twice because when the lights flashed there seemed to be a hesitation when the light flashed. I got the first digit ok (1) but there seemed to be a delay after 3 then another 5 making 8. 1+8=18. Took video on my phone.
thats a 135 ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2009, 21:47:12 »

which from memory is telltale low, and can be ignored
Grumpy old man

robbo299

• luton, beds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2009, 21:50:37 »

i`ll get me coat............ :-[  just had shock when checked ECU prices. Top man......... again! :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2009, 21:52:43 »

Have you checked your HT leads and especially your plug wells for oil ??

Common problem is cam cover oil leaks due to blocked breathers, the oiol leaks into the plugwells and eventually damages the rubber of the HT leads, so leading to missfires.

As I understand it, these are not flagged as a fault code as the ECU "knows" it is still sending HT pulses .. they just don't go down through the plugs

That was the symptoms/problem on the old miggy .. a breather clean, cam cover gasket change and a new set of leads/plugs sorted it.

If left unfixed and it IS the oil problem .. the DIS pack can eventually get damaged ...  :(

robbo299

• luton, beds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2009, 22:02:16 »

Yep, had them changed. Had missfire on way home from work last week, checked the next morning and drivers side bank cam cover gasket blown and oily. Didn`t use car until i took it to be done saturday. Had new camcover gaskets, leads and plugs fitted. They tried to syringe most of the oil out of the wells but some did drop in. Smoked a lot on way home but that cleared by the time i arrived. Still had missfire. Thought it may be residue oil from plug change but after running car for a while yesterday and today problem still there. Had my HBV change a couple of weeks ago ( leaking badly ) and common thought now is that it leaked over dis pack damaging it.

robbo299

• luton, beds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 July 2009, 22:11:14 »

Just had a quick check for prices of dis packs on fleabay and see there are two which state they are for V6 omegas up to `03 but have different GM numbers and Bosch serial numbers. :-/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 18 queries.