Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: head lamps  (Read 838 times)

mattyb

• View Profile
head lamps
« on: 29 August 2010, 13:37:54 »

Hi, I wasn't sure where to post my question so sorry if in the wrong location. Here goes. I have a vauxhall omega 2.2 petrol and recently it has began to  act a little strange. When I drive her it accelarates well but when I turn on the headlamps I have no acceleration. The car doesn't cut out just slows down even with the pedal pushed to the floor. As soon as I turn the headlamps off acceleration returns as normal. Also the date/time display goes off as soon as the headlamps are activated. All other electrics have no impact only the headlamps cause this fault. I dont think the battery is faulty because I can turn on the aircon, heated windows and use all other electrics when driving without any issues.Any suggestions would be welcome. Many Thanks Mat

mr ICE man

• Intermediate Member
  • dolgellau wales
  • if it aint broke try and fix it
    • View Profile
Re: head lamps
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2010, 14:20:03 »

Check the wiring at the rear of the headlights for touching or corroded wires,sound like a short to me.is just sidelights or headlights or what?might help as to which is causing the fault,I would put this in the general help section mate,get more help there! :y
scream if you want to go faster!!!

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2010, 15:15:20 »

I suspect that one (or more) of the crimped connections on the ends of the big cables between the alternator, engine, battery or fuse box are breaking up and causing a voltage drop when the extra load of the lights is applied.

Read this and carry out the voltage checks Battery Charging and Starting Diagnosis

Does the problem occur if you turn on the other heavy loads? (rear screen heater, fan on full speed).

The earth cables are just as important as the supply cables,
« Last Edit: 29 August 2010, 15:21:29 by andyh »
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

mattyb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2010, 16:40:21 »

I have tryed turning the heater up full, car radio to high volume, heated windscreens and seats on and the problem doesn't occur. Only when main beams are switched on can I not accelerate which in turn turns off the lcd date/time display. I will check the terminals from the battery to the fusebox and post my findings. Thanks all  :-X

mattyb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2010, 17:26:14 »

Managed to find culprit. Checked headlamps and all bulbs seemed good. However I disconnected front headlamps drove car and fault still exists. I then re-connected front headlamps and then disconnected rear tail lamp left hand side. I then drove the car and no loss of power. Reconnected and problem came back. I then replaced the the brake light bulb and reconnected and the problem has gone away. Not sure how one bulb can cause so much trouble but hey at least it only cost £2 for a new bulb. Thanks again for suggestions and help. Brilliant site. Mat

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 August 2010, 18:00:57 »

Well done Matty - nice piece of deductive reasoning there 8-) :y :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.