Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sound probs  (Read 1351 times)

youth

• just outside boston
    • View Profile
sound probs
« on: 31 January 2011, 23:29:59 »

ok i am sure i have seen something like this b4 on ere but cant find it for the life of me trying to figure out why my rear speakers seem to be so much quieter than the front only recently noticed this and it wasn't like this when i fitted my aftermarket stereo i am sure dont know if it is bose or not but the original headunit is a ccr2006 and used to say bose sound when turned please help is it fixable or should i just fit a new amp for the rear speakers the head unit is more than capable with having that many different outputs lol

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
Re: sound probs
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2011, 23:35:25 »

If your head unit used to say BOSE then chances are that you may have BOSE amps and speakers - others can advise on how to identify them.

However, by plugging in an aftermarket head unit, you have probably blown something as the BOSE speakers are 2 Ohm, not the more conventional 4 Ohm, and your head unit will see this as too much of a load.

If you have BOSE, then you need to remove ALL the BOSE speakers, amps and then do a bit of rewiring before an aftermarket head unit can be fitted - big job, but well worth it.

And now for the flood of people saying that the 20 year old BOSE sounds better than a decent set of modern speakers

:-X
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2011, 00:22:08 »

If your head unit used to say BOSE then chances are that you may have BOSE amps and speakers - others can advise on how to identify them.

However, by plugging in an aftermarket head unit, you have probably blown something as the BOSE speakers are 2 Ohm, not the more conventional 4 Ohm, and your head unit will see this as too much of a load.

If you have BOSE, then you need to remove ALL the BOSE speakers, amps and then do a bit of rewiring before an aftermarket head unit can be fitted - big job, but well worth it.

And now for the flood of people saying that the 20 year old BOSE sounds better than a decent set of modern speakers

Well it could be Dave, but not on a CD spec, Bose was only fitted to Elites, not sure if it was an upgrade option for the Facelift CD's but never come across one myself, has the car been messed with, ie retro bose fit or even just the MID has been swaped??

First check would be Bose Subs on the back parcel shelf or locate the Bose Amp in the boot (Saloon).

This might help-

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1277822708

My money is on no Bose fitted from leaving the factory.

Chris  :-X

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2011, 09:35:49 »

Zirk,

totally accept what you are saying, but I was simply working on the basis that according to the OP, the head unit said BOSE, which still means that ALL Bose bits need to be removed if you are going down the aftermarket route - however, it could also be that a Bose head was fitted into  a Non-Bose car at some stage?

Need some more info I think.

:-/
www.dndservices.co.uk

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2011, 11:33:08 »

Zirk,

totally accept what you are saying, but I was simply working on the basis that according to the OP, the head unit said BOSE, which still means that ALL Bose bits need to be removed if you are going down the aftermarket route - however, it could also be that a Bose head was fitted into  a Non-Bose car at some stage?

Need some more info I think.

:-/

I read it as 'says Bose when turned on' ie MID display, but could be wrong, Yes totally agree with you Dave about mixing and matching of Bose bits and pieces, was just trying to point out to the OP that he had a CD spec, assuming thats the car we are talking about, and give some pointers on how to recognise a Bose fit set up.

As previously said, more info required.

Chris  :y :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2011, 18:11:49 »

20 year old BOSE sounds better than a decent set of modern speakers

You are the expert in sound  :y

However the Insignia is a design 10 years newer than the Omega. The Omega was based on an even older chassis, but your reckoning the Insignia must be better? It is newer, therefore better?  :-/

Sorry but I disagree that something is bad/poor because its old, the Insignia's seats are hard, the boot space is no match for mine, nor is rear seat head room, the interior feels small, the engines are more advanced. But i'd rather sit in my 10 year old Omega on a run to South of France.  :y

I've been in Mercs, beemers and all sorts of modern cars, the Bose I find, still has a nice round sound & full sound to it. Only one standard fit is more impressive was the A8's, that had Bose too  ::)  ;D

-------

Anyway back to the OP, I read it too as he has Bose, because its displayed when its turned on. CCR2006 was used in very, very early Facelifts as the Bose Unit, with a standard MID, before the NCDC 20** units were brought in.  :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2011, 19:40:39 »

Tunnie, you have completely misunderstood me.

You seem to think I said that newer speakers are better than old - that is certainly NOT what I meant to imply. I did however say a "decent set of modern speakers" which I take to be something very different.

Forgive me for going over old ground again, but I`m happy to explain my reasoning.

Years ago, it was found that a set of speakers and a stereo in a car was a decided asset, and as a side issue, it took peoples minds of the clunks and rattles that the car made - thumbs up for the manufacturers ! The original paper cone speakers were made for next to nothing, sounded awfull and did the job perfectly.

Along came Mr BOSE and redesigned a set of speakers and audio system to suit the Omega using the materials he had at the time and there is no dispute from me that this was a significant step forward at the time, and the sound was a vast improvement over the paper cones - I do not disagree with this at all.

However, materials technology, speaker construction and general sound quality has come on leaps and bounds in the last 20 years, and even a fairly "basic" set of speakers (with a subwoofer) nowadays can almost give the Bose system a run for its money - but it doesn`t stop there.

I take in board your comments about modern cars not sounding that great, and I agree - but the emphasis nowadays is of cost, and the manufacturers will do anything they can to reduce the costs of the speakers that they are now "obliged" to fit, and as a result the sound quality has suffered even further to a point where yes, I agree, the custom designed BOSE system of all those years ago does indeed sound more rounded than many a modern car nowadays, and the BOSE systems in the cars today do in fact sound quite good, I agree, but thats more down to the added subwoofer giving a little depth of sound than anything else.

But it doesn`t stop there - When people nowadays look to replace their speakers, they also think too much on a budget and often end up with an entry level speaker from a manufacturer who has made their name selling better ones, yet has to have the budget range to keep people happy, and then find that the £50 speakers they have just bought sound no better than the ones they are replacing. You get what you pay for. If you spent a little more (not that much more) and move away from the entry level, you will find that instead of buying an entry level performance speaker, you can actually get one that will faithfully reproduce some sound with a bit of quality to it.

From 18 years of retailing car audio speakers, I reckon that you can generally say that most Car Audio manufacturers have 4 ranges of speakers, and they are as follows:

Pro Range - Very expensive, give the manufacturers the name they deserve for quality and build, but unless you are mega rich you simply cannot afford them - and neither can the guys in the shops selling them, so you will only ever see them in magazines, and never being demonstrated.

Competition Speakers - Don`t believe that they are used in competitions, they seldom are, but the build quality is usually excellent from this range, but you will need to think about the cost of extra amplification to get the best of them. This range will cost around four times what a budget speaker will cost. Only the top end dealers will have them for you to listen to though, as again expensive to show off. If you are ultra serious about car audio, you will have bought here.

Mid Range - No, I don`t mean the type of speaker, this is generally the range of speakers that are the next ones up from the entry level ones, costing on average just under double what the entry level ones cost, and this is generally the range to aim for.

Entry level or budget speakers are what you will see on the shelves of many a shop, in the display stands of Halfords and the like, sound awfull, built awfull and are to be avoided at all costs. If you want no improvement over the standard speakers, and still want to replace them six months later when they have burnt out, then look here.

My argument is and always has been that for the amount of work involved in retro fitting very tired and worn out 20 year old technology for the sound it gives is simply not worth it, and fitting a decent set of modern speakers would prove far more beneficial with far, far better results.

hope that helps ?

8-)
www.dndservices.co.uk

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 February 2011, 16:24:16 »

Read and understood Dave  :y

Apologies, I miss-understood your post, agree with Halfords crap that is sold. The 'modern' upgrade tends to be shove a sub in, and some 6x9's in the parcel shelf, with dire consequences.

When I get my Monaro, i'll be looking to you for heads up on some good upgrades  :)  :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 02 February 2011, 17:04:03 »

Apologies, I miss-understood your post, agree with Halfords crap that is sold. The 'modern' upgrade tends to be shove a sub in, and some 6x9's in the parcel shelf, with dire consequences.

When I get my Monaro, i'll be looking to you for heads up on some good upgrades  :)  :y

I`m also comtemplating a Monaro myself, so will certainly be having a good investigate to see what can be done

;)
www.dndservices.co.uk

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 February 2011, 17:09:49 »

I`m also comtemplating a Monaro myself, so will certainly be having a good investigate to see what can be done

;)

the monaro already has a good sound system,its called a v8  ;D ;D ;D :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 February 2011, 17:24:45 »

;)

the monaro already has a good sound system,its called a v8  ;D ;D ;D :y

True  ;D ;D ;D ;D  :y

youth

• just outside boston
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 February 2011, 17:52:04 »

well where do i start lol now under the thinking i dont have bose setup as i have no subs in the parcel shelf and it said bose sound on the mid will check to see if i can find an amp in the boot but dont have a clue where it may be lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.