Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A question of legality: Filament Vs LED lights  (Read 4122 times)

Lampynoiseboy

• SE Essex
  • pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
    • '51 3.2 Elite "Floozy"
    • View Profile
Re: A question of legality: Filament Vs LED lights
« Reply #30 on: 23 July 2011, 01:17:33 »

All it would take is a "I couldn't see his brake lights, Officer", I suppose

Somebody on another forum posted an interesting observation.

If you are unlucky enough to have suffered a rear end accident (Oo-er missus) the police can often determine if you were braking at the time by looking at any burnt out bulb filaments that have been subject to the atmosphere when the glass breaks -

Not something you could determine with LED`s

Food for thought I suppose ?
 :-/

I would've thought there would have to be serious death for them to go that far, 90% of claims are probably solved by the most convincing insurance bullsh*t form.

I would imagine as noticed elsewhere that if the regs are modded, then LED's would be quite a large consideration after the LED cat's eyes vs. epileptic argument.
As many will know, passing an LED cat's eye can appear as a "strobing" effect due (i believe) to their directionality. An epileptic passing those, or anyone passing an idiot with some k4's in his lights can be rather dangerous.

Is a shame because the LED eyes are very effective on an unlit road. I don't for a second mean we should ignore those with epilepsy, but if a way could be found round it then so much the better- as with tail lights
Trouble strikes in series of three's, but when working on the car, the next job after a series of three is not the fourth job -- it's the start of a brand new series of three

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #31 on: 23 July 2011, 09:27:00 »

Don`t start me on epilepsy and lights . . . .

Have you seen what some idiot has deemed acceptable and has now introduced in the form of "Flashing" rear brake lights? The have started to appear on new cars in Europe (Only seen it myself on a Merc) and basically when the brake lights come on, they flash very fast instead of the "in yer face" red tail light that we have come to understand as STOP.

>:(
« Last Edit: 23 July 2011, 09:27:25 by Dave_DND »
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 July 2011, 10:53:02 »

Strobing of LED lights is down to how they are driven, most likely. I think the cat's eyes PWM the LED to achieve the correct drive current in the face of a variable battery voltage. Same as many cars strobe the rear LED lights to dim them for tail light use, then light them up full-on for brake lights.

Why they don't use a decent switching frequency beats me (probably to keep the drive electronics cheap) because I find the strobing of some LED tail lights very distracting (VW/Audi/Merc seem to be the worst).
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Martin_1962

« Reply #33 on: 23 July 2011, 11:48:46 »

Strobing of LED lights is down to how they are driven, most likely. I think the cat's eyes PWM the LED to achieve the correct drive current in the face of a variable battery voltage. Same as many cars strobe the rear LED lights to dim them for tail light use, then light them up full-on for brake lights.

Why they don't use a decent switching frequency beats me (probably to keep the drive electronics cheap) because I find the strobing of some LED tail lights very distracting (VW/Audi/Merc seem to be the worst).

The worst is a Peugeot skip with slash styled lights.

I would class them as - dangerous

I would class the Audi and Merc gaytime running lights the same - dangerous

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #34 on: 23 July 2011, 12:10:30 »

Why do I have the feeling that you lot are going to dissapprove of what I am doing to my Beach Buggy ?

:P
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Lampynoiseboy

• SE Essex
  • pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
    • '51 3.2 Elite "Floozy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 July 2011, 00:11:17 »

Don`t start me on epilepsy and lights . . . .

Have you seen what some idiot has deemed acceptable and has now introduced in the form of "Flashing" rear brake lights? The have started to appear on new cars in Europe (Only seen it myself on a Merc) and basically when the brake lights come on, they flash very fast instead of the "in yer face" red tail light that we have come to understand as STOP.

>:(

As a time-served lampy, believe me I'm with you!

At least one of the makes (can't remember which) has a system whereby they only strobe if you've not used the brakes in 10 seconds or so, and if they're on for more than about 3 seconds- theory being hard braking on a motorway- the ex-doris had similar with the hazzards on a new ford fester.
I can kinda see the point if it's done properly, but now there's kits on fleabay for that, 'cept they seem to do it every time, and obviously for chavs with stripes

Why do I have the feeling that you lot are going to dissapprove of what I am doing to my Beach Buggy ?

:P

If you use it on a beach, you'll not offend anyone  ::)

Pics to follow I assume?
Trouble strikes in series of three's, but when working on the car, the next job after a series of three is not the fourth job -- it's the start of a brand new series of three
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.