Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Civil offence or what?  (Read 757 times)

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
Civil offence or what?
« on: 20 November 2011, 10:34:56 »

Now me being a cabby, we occasionally get people who will not pay, anyway, I was wondering if they don't pay, is it a civil offence or is there a law against it. Surely there had to be a law about it? I ask this because last night picked a bloke up, drunk obviously, anyway I get to where I was dropping him off and he said "You best get your pad out because I've got no money". Anyway he got out giving it a load of mouth, and I politely told him to F**k off. Anyway after that the passenger door was still open, anyway, he lent back in and tried to make a grab for my money bag, so I took off, so luckily he the door hit him and he fell out of the car. Anyway back to the original question, is there a law against getting in a taxi and not paying?
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Plomien

• Omega Baron
  • Swansea
  • Rescue the beer and drink the maiden
    • Landrover Freelander TD4
    • View Profile
Re: Civil offence or what?
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2011, 10:47:31 »

Yes, You wouldn't walk into a shop and walk out without paying for items.
I used to work as a controller and if you have the guys address contact the police
No more Omega but still hangs around

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2011, 10:49:07 »

Now me being a cabby, we occasionally get people who will not pay, anyway, I was wondering if they don't pay, is it a civil offence or is there a law against it. Surely there had to be a law about it? I ask this because last night picked a bloke up, drunk obviously, anyway I get to where I was dropping him off and he said "You best get your pad out because I've got no money". Anyway he got out giving it a load of mouth, and I politely told him to F**k off. Anyway after that the passenger door was still open, anyway, he lent back in and tried to make a grab for my money bag, so I took off, so luckily he the door hit him and he fell out of the car. Anyway back to the original question, is there a law against getting in a taxi and not paying?

Yes, its classed as stealing, the 'runner' has obtained services without intention of paying.

If you have an address (either pickup or dropoff) or phone number then report it to the police.
They have to investigate and the approach they take in Swindon, if they find the 'runner' then they give the chance to pay the fare, if they do no further action is taken, however if they do not then they get taken to court  :y

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2011, 10:53:28 »

i would think it is obtaining a service by deception as he as decieved you...was your drop off on stanhope...friend of mine as more problem s there than anywhere else :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2011, 11:01:03 »

i would think it is obtaining a service by deception as he as decieved you...was your drop off on stanhope...friend of mine as more problem s there than anywhere else :y

Spot on :y

Thing is last week I had another guy say he didn't have no money and an Officer said to me and the offender it's a civil offence, the guy did pay up, but the Officer said in front of him it's civil which wound me up a bit to be honest.

Thanks for the help people :y
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2011, 00:13:49 »

Proving intent is the hard part :-\. We generally recover what is owed, though they do make you work for it. The responsible person, ie the one who owes the fare is deemed to be the person that made the booking.

ie If Susie, the barmaid at the Rose and Crown books a cab for 'Dave', and 'Dave' soils himself/pukes in the car/neglects to pay, then ultimately Susie is responsible for the cost as she is the customer. Susie doesn't usually realise this and is much more careful about who she books cabs for :y. Facebook is quite useful for identifying local numpties, and using the phone book and the interweb it's relatively easy to pin people down.

We have a reputation for being tough on such things, so don't get too much bother. We try and give people the benefit of doubt, but if they screw us over then they get 24hrs to settle up and the police are informed at the same time. Next time we see them, they always pay because they know they've been busted. They tend not to use us after that :y

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2011, 00:44:44 »

People sometimes think it is civil as they view it as a contract, between the driver and the fare, and i can kinda understand that. However, there are actually two criminal offences to be considered here, or at least there is in NI, as I'm not sure the theft act is entirely the same on the mainland? Firstly, as mentioned above, you have the 'obtaining services by deception' type offence - if the fare has no money, then they can not pay, which is what is expected of them. You also have the option of the fare 'doing a runner' whether they have the fare or not, which is slightly different. It all depends on the attitude of the local fuzz. I guess it could be pretty common, a bit like drivers not paying for petrol, so their experience will dictate how they proceed. The easiest and best solution is always to get the money, but this isn't always the case. The bottom line is that an offence has been committed under law, and police can deal with it (whether they like it or not!!). I don't envy taxi drivers, and take my hat off to you guys! Sometimes though, taxi firms have their own manner of dealing with these things, as mentioned, and I suppose you can get away with anything once!?
Just my tuppence worth.

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 November 2011, 05:42:11 »

If you dropped him off at his house you know where he lives. Go get the police to accompany you to his house and identify him to them and they will have him pay or take appropriate action. :y
It is a criminal offence to request a service without any intention of paying, to make off withiout paying or to knowingly pay by a method which will not be honoured (ie a dud cheque or counterfeit money).
As a taxi driver you should make yourself aware of the laws which protect you.
Hope that helps.........
Non payers are scum anyway  >:(
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2011, 11:16:30 »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.