Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Prize!  (Read 12128 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: The Prize!
« Reply #15 on: 04 March 2012, 22:55:36 »

Wont do any harm Webby.I saw one last sunday with the dispack located somewhere around the passenger side bulkhead/inner wing. :y

cheers mate. ill do that and nail it down if its all good. cheers bro  :y :y :y :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #16 on: 05 March 2012, 07:18:06 »

Ps, sorry, not trying to ''bump'' this thread up but there is something I forgot to ask.

When I fit the new disspac would I incur any problems by simply plugging it all in (leads and connector) not screwed down and sitting next to the plenum. I think there is enough room to stretch the connector**

Just thinking that if the replacement doesnt cure the problem then I'll simply re-sell the new parts I've bought/buying and not screwing it down/putting it in place will save a bit of time and hassle.

** Pure guess and the connector might not even stretch  ::)

It could really do with re routing altogether , what a bad design putting it where it is  >:( hope it fires up for you like mine did when it was replaced ...all that work paying off and saving shed loads in costly garage repair bills . Once you have it sorted you wont want your prev car having re built this one  ;)

feeutfo

« Reply #17 on: 05 March 2012, 07:22:40 »

That screw driver extention is bloody handy. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 March 2012, 17:52:21 »

Ps, sorry, not trying to ''bump'' this thread up but there is something I forgot to ask.
No problem - in fact, unless the thread starts to get really big, a single project like this is worth keeping on one thread :y
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 March 2012, 17:54:49 »

what a bad design putting it where it is
Is it?

Not so close to a HBV would have been nice, but I guess the HBV problem wasn't known at early design stage. Struggling to think where else it could have been mounted on the engine, remembering it has to suit FWD applications as well...
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 March 2012, 19:10:02 »

No problem - in fact, unless the thread starts to get really big, a single project like this is worth keeping on one thread :y

Cheers mate. I thought that's best instead of starting loads of new threads  :y

Good and bad news today.

As I've mentioned I'm whipping the cam covers off at the weekend and making sure all is tickatyboo. So went to Vx. They kindly sold me the sealant at TC price even though it's apparently not on the TC site (didn't bother checking) so got a tube for £3something.  :y got new plugs too.

However, called a local place for a new disspac (leads on order from Euro car parts for £31!  :y) and was quoted £70 inc. VAT  :'( Was hoping it would be a bit cheaper than that.

Soooooo the weekends schedule not affected at all but I'm definitely not screwing that diss pac down yet in case it turns out that it's that that's fubared and has to be changed. If I get the new disspac and the damn car still doesn't work then further diagnosis with the paperclip test  :y

My plan is thus, questions in red:

- injector rail off
- unscrew covers and gently prising them off with a small screwdriver as the previous sealant may stick them down... or best to gently hammer them off with rubber mallet?
- Should I put tee-towels over cams? And do I need to get any oil out of the joins?
- pull gaskets out of covers (I presume that's ok - Ralf says they've only just been done so I don't imagine they're melted to the covers) and check and refit.
- check O rings on screw holes.
- sealant
- refit and torque screws down to 8nm... Any tips when placing the cam covers back before screwing down or is it as easy as I think it should be?  ;D
- spark plugs out. clean wells as they're isn't much oil but enough to leave the leads with a fine coating of oil. leave for a bit to let any further oil drain.
- new plugs.
- reassemble everything

Any advice/tips/help with my Q's would be super sweet! cheers guys  :y :y :y :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
  • iron maiden rocks very sad at the moment
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 March 2012, 20:24:13 »

spark plugs are new steve went in the same time as cam covers were done :y :y :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 March 2012, 20:28:02 »

spark plugs are new steve went in the same time as cam covers were done :y :y :y

bugger!  ;D never mind, ill chuck them on fleabay.

.....actually thats a good point ralf..... if the plugs have been sitting in oil (albeit minimal) can they be affected too as i know the leads definitely can?  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 March 2012, 20:30:54 »

Passenger side cam cover... 'tis a tight fit due to the cable loom, you'll have taken the loom right out of the holder, I found it easiest to tie the loom back to the bonnet support strut to get it out of the way.

Still not an amazing amount of room and the first time I ever did the job as I passed the cover in the rear most cambolt top must have just knocked the gasket out a tad such that the 1/2 moon did not fit properly .. and I never noticed ... until I started her up .. leaked like a pig so the whole lot back off to sort ..... not happy  :(

I now take great care to ensure nothing moves as that cover goes in, and I use a mirror and torch to check the 1/2 moon ... any doubt and its off, cleaned up and refitted there and then .... no rebuild and leak again ...

HTH  :)

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 March 2012, 20:32:56 »

i dont think so they havent been in long enough to break down i have had them sat in oil on my 2.0 for 2 month and cleaned them up they still worked 2 years later :y :y :y :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05 March 2012, 20:35:42 »

Make absolutley sure you connect the plug leads up correctly as the ones for the 2-4-6 do NOT connect 2-4-6 s you would expect......common mistake but the correct connections are written on the DIS pack.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 March 2012, 20:38:30 »

Passenger side cam cover... 'tis a tight fit due to the cable loom, you'll have taken the loom right out of the holder, I found it easiest to tie the loom back to the bonnet support strut to get it out of the way.

Still not an amazing amount of room and the first time I ever did the job as I passed the cover in the rear most cambolt top must have just knocked the gasket out a tad such that the 1/2 moon did not fit properly .. and I never noticed ... until I started her up .. leaked like a pig so the whole lot back off to sort ..... not happy  :(

I now take great care to ensure nothing moves as that cover goes in, and I use a mirror and torch to check the 1/2 moon ... any doubt and its off, cleaned up and refitted there and then .... no rebuild and leak again ...

HTH  :)

That makes a lot of sense Entwood... really don't want to be doing it twice in one day!

With regards to the 1/2 moon... in this pic I can see the half moon clearly... presumably the cam cover is shaped 1/2 moon as well to fit in to this..with the gasket in between.

RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 March 2012, 20:39:43 »

Make absolutley sure you connect the plug leads up correctly as the ones for the 2-4-6 do NOT connect 2-4-6 s you would expect......common mistake but the correct connections are written on the DIS pack.

Thanks Mark.

yep already aware of that. Why 2-6-4 on the disspac I wonder?  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 March 2012, 20:42:30 »

half moon is at the back steve  :y :y :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 March 2012, 20:49:13 »

The 1/2 moon is visible to the left end of your photo ... the cam cover is "flat" at the same point, so a large "1/2 moon" of rubber is a part of the gasket ..... it has a tendency to a life of its own and to move ... but when fitted correctly is a snug, smooth fit. Small amounts of black sealant on the "sharp" corners as per the guide.

Once you see the gasket/cover of it will all make some sort of sense .. :)

I take it you have read/printed off the guide ???
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.