Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Prize!  (Read 12126 times)

aaronjb

Re: The Prize!
« Reply #75 on: 10 March 2012, 22:04:39 »

Webby ... for the bolts you had trouble getting out .... even more awkward getting em back in ...  use one of those "magnets on a stick" things ... about £2 in Wilkinsons  or about £4 in a motor factors. Very useful for aligning and starting the bolts. Once the thread has started the magnet pulls of .. if the thread has "missed" the whole bolt lifts !!

Unrelated tip but - I use a similar scheme to ensure I never cross thread a spark plug, only rather than using a magnet I pop a length of 4mm vacuum hose onto the metal contact (it's a tight fit, usually use silicone ;)) and drop the plug down on that then start screwing it in by spinning the hose around. Never get enough torque on it to cross thread it and they always go in nicely (obviously finish it with a socket ;D)

Anyhoo..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 11 March 2012, 09:44:13 »

Webby  - look at the other packet of gaskets, not yet fitted, and it will be obvious why, and how much, overhang you should have :y
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 11 March 2012, 19:14:42 »

Chaps, thanks very much for all the very useful comments as usual.

I'm pleased to say, all C gaskets done and everything is back together! woo hoo.

unfortunately my dear old mam had pissed off with the car for the day so didn't get time to put jump leads on and fire her up... but there's plenty of time... may pop home at lunchen tomorrow and fire her up ;)

As for finishing the job itself, it went real smooth. I went to get my bungee cords from the garage and realised I must have lost them on my last fishing trip!  >:( however, my fishing kit would play a part in helping me later on ;) i didnt manage to get to wilko's for a magnet but i raided my tackle box and found my very long forceps... absolutely perfect for dropping the 6 screws under the inlet bridge!  :y

As mentioned i've obviously lost my bungee cords, but this is no problem when you have a willing parent to help out  ;D tied one of the old HT leads round the cable tray and had him pull on it for the 5 mins i was applying sealant. wiggled the cam cover in plce and noticed that the nearside half moon had fallen out. popped it back in and even though i ended up covered in that crappy sealant i got it all in there.

2 possibly 3 problems have occurred.

1. I have a pipe left over that doesnt appear to go anywhere  :o i traced it back and as you look at the engine it runs down past the right hand side of the breather box.... is this the pipe thats meant to be free from the gearbox that i've heard about??? it's just a bit thicker and bigger than the breather pipes. weird as i didnt notice it when i stripped the car  ::)

2. ther is a thin wire coming right round from the bottom of the bag pipes that fits to the back of the plenum ehere the connector is. the thin wire ends with a ''hook'' tubing. is this the right place for it at back of plenum?

3. and finally when i refitted the inlet bridge and in jector rail some trapped fuel pissed all over the spark plug wells that were open as i hadnt refitted the HT leads. i got the plugs out straight away and cleaned them up. that goona cause a problem?  :-\ should have anticipated it but hey... ill learn for next time ;)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 11 March 2012, 19:52:51 »

I picked up a pack of a magnetic telescopic stick, telescopic mirror and small magnetic tray from Aldi earlier, £2.49.  Actually, I bought 2 ;D
Grumpy old man

albitz

« Reply #79 on: 11 March 2012, 20:31:26 »

1. Yes
2.Yes
3.Nothing to worry about.  :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 11 March 2012, 21:26:54 »

1. Yes
2.Yes
3.Nothing to worry about.  :y

You're a bloody diamond. Cheers Albs  :-* :-* :-* :-*
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 12 March 2012, 09:47:57 »

Any tips for starting the car up bearing in mind i emptied the fuel out the rails? will it take a while to start do you think? :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 12 March 2012, 11:44:20 »

Any tips for starting the car up bearing in mind i emptied the fuel out the rails? will it take a while to start do you think? :)

It may crank for an extra couple of seconds,nothing to worry about :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 12 March 2012, 11:46:45 »

It may crank for an extra couple of seconds,nothing to worry about :y

Sweeeeet! cheers henry ;)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 12 March 2012, 13:39:08 »

Hurry up and do it then Webby, don't keep us in suspenders!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 12 March 2012, 14:01:34 »

Hahahaha cheers JC.

However, Ralf is still dead. 20 mins i spent trying to jump start it. is that usual or would you suggest battery's fekked?

when i first turned key it was like it was half dead, after 20 mins it was turning over a bit faster but still no joy.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 12 March 2012, 14:09:01 »

Hahahaha cheers JC.

However, Ralf is still dead. 20 mins i spent trying to jump start it. is that usual or would you suggest battery's fekked?

when i first turned key it was like it was half dead, after 20 mins it was turning over a bit faster but still no joy.
How are you connecting the leads Steve
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 12 March 2012, 14:12:00 »

Hahahaha cheers JC.

Positive to positive, negative on my good car and hooked it up on Ralf at the front of the plenum. it always sparks so it seems good place. besides that, if i turned the key in ralf before  :D nothing happened at all. no electrics no nowt
RIP Paul Lovejoy

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 12 March 2012, 14:14:58 »

Hahahaha cheers JC.

Positive to positive, negative on my good car and hooked it up on Ralf at the front of the plenum. it always sparks so it seems good place. besides that, if i turned the key in ralf before  :D nothing happened at all. no electrics no nowt

Sounds like "Ralfs" battery is very flat breaked :-\
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 12 March 2012, 14:22:25 »

Hahahaha cheers JC.

Sounds like "Ralfs" battery is very flat breaked :-\

Cheers Henry. I'll get to Halfrauds tonight. Any idea on what battery I need to ask for?
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 17 queries.