Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Any civil engineers out there?  (Read 3633 times)

marrus69

• bracknell
    • 52 mv6 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Any civil engineers out there?
« Reply #15 on: 13 April 2012, 13:59:50 »

There are building regulations that should be adhered to, and an inspector should visit the site and carry out inspections at key stages of the build.  Also, as they are new homes, I would have expected an NHBC inspector to sign off stages of the build, for their 10 year warranty.  :-\

Depends on the type of building regs applied for!

If full plans then it will only be inspected at the end of the build (with maybe a single site visit at the start).

If building notice then it will be inspected at key stages of the build.

Also, as we all well know, the NHBC inspections are pretty much non-existant.

Some advice for all, if your ever having building work done then get full plans produced but opt for the building notice approach.

This means that the builder is quoting against the specifics of the detailed plans but, his/her work is being checked at regular points.

I dont trust the building trade one bit!

Problem is that if a retaining wall is detached from the structure of the house or does not provide support to the house its not covered by builidng regulations

yes thats right, but ive seen some retaining walls 2m 3m high have you seen the size off this one its as tall as the house,this should have been picked up by some one recomending a minumum code. its only single block and looks like it goes all the way round the house.the last one we did was about the same hight. but we had to go up 2m and then in 2m forming a stepped bank.i think any none builder could see this is not right.

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #16 on: 13 April 2012, 18:07:03 »

was clearly never fit for purpose, penny pinching clueless shortcutting twits.

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 April 2012, 20:20:59 »

The boss man has arranged to have our street cleared and jetwashed tomorrow which is only right but he is keeping a rather low profile otherwise! I believe he is trying to blame the wall that runs alongside the steps for collapsing, rather than anything he has done. Problem with this line of argument is 1) the original wall -prior to him commencing work on the property-had been there for nigh on a century with no problems whatsoever and 2) he actually added to this wall himself and it is also this most recent work that has fallen over. It seems self evident to me that neither the 2 walls behind the property nor the one running at its side which runs parallel to the steps are sufficient to support the weight of soil and that there is blatantly insufficient drainage provided. As the side wall which collapsed onto the steps is (was!) the boundry against a public access (the steps) how on earth can them mucking about with this wall itself or doing work on "their" side that clearly impacted on that wall NOT be covered by any building regs???As an example, if you have a tree in your garden but, say, its branches overhang your boundry wall and are above a (public)pavement are you not responsible for maintenance of that tree and would therefore be liable if you failed such "due diligence" and a branch broke off and cracked a member of the public on the head whilst they were using the pavement? Remember, a young 8 year old lad going up these steps at the time the wall gave way was very lucky to escape injury.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.