Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: bhp  (Read 4245 times)

andy1

• south yorkshire
    • 2.5 v6 elite
    • View Profile
bhp
« on: 17 June 2012, 18:55:46 »

thinking of putting induction kit on my 2.5 v6 elite is it worth it will i gain any performance change also having service new plugs oil ect thanks andy

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
Re: bhp
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2012, 18:58:40 »

bad idea the car will run better as standard somthing to do with air temp entering engine
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2012, 18:59:34 »

Total waste of money and effort IMHO.

Spend the money on giving it a full (proper )service using GM parts..change oil and filter and give those breathers a thorough clean.Thats the best improvement you can acheive. :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2012, 18:59:47 »

Any form of forced induction - turbo- or super-  charger will probably end in tears as the bottom end won't take the strain.

Any change to the naturally aspirated set up will probably actually reduce the power, although it might change the noise.

Why do you think VX technicians spent many hours designing and building the intake to be compatible with the performance design of the engine ???  Just for the hell of it ???

:-X

waspy

« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2012, 19:29:30 »

Why do you think VX technicians spent many hours designing and building the intake to be compatible with the performance design of the engine ???  Just for the hell of it ???

Standard isn't always best. It depends on the design. Yes Omega engines can't be tuned easily, but obviously it depends on the manufacturer.
Take my Monaro for instance, gains of 33 bhp & 45 ft lbs of torque where achieved just by headers, 100 cell cats & a free flow system.
A mafless tune & cold air induction also adds extra bhp & torque.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2012, 20:28:22 »

Standard isn't always best. It depends on the design. Yes Omega engines can't be tuned easily, but obviously it depends on the manufacturer.
Take my Monaro for instance, gains of 33 bhp & 45 ft lbs of torque where achieved just by headers, 100 cell cats & a free flow system.

Says it all really, I accept that "other cars" are different .. and in my youth spent many hours doing exactly that .. your Monaro is a "performance car" so can be tweaked ... the Omega is a LARGE EXECUTIVE SALOON and was never intended to be anything else .. :)

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2012, 20:29:53 »

Says it all really, I accept that "other cars" are different .. and in my youth spent many hours doing exactly that .. your Monaro is a "performance car" so can be tweaked ... the Omega is a MONEY PIT and was never intended to be anything else .. :)
Fixed that for you Nige ::)
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

waspy

« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2012, 21:47:20 »

I've always wondered if a V6 would benefit from headers, sports cats, CAI & if poss a Mafless Tune :-\
Has anyone done owt similar?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2012, 21:48:12 »

The same induction system isn't restrictive on a 3.2, so it stands to reason that "improving" it on a 2.5 will make absolutely no difference.

On a 2.5, by far the most the only worthwhile step is changing to 3.0 cams.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

markrnorton

• Intermediate Member
  • Essex
    • 2.2 & 2.5 Ginetta build
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 June 2012, 14:37:18 »

I've always wondered if a V6 would benefit from headers, sports cats, CAI & if poss a Mafless Tune :-\

I am using one of my Omega's (the 2.5) as a donor for my kit car. I intend running it on Omex or Emerald ECU and running a MAP sensor, no MAF.
I will go down the route of using a 'custom' intake set-up, retaining air temp sensor and hopefully some 'ram-air' effect/cold air from the front of the car.
Exhaust manifolds will be re-made, tubular style.

Not sure if it will/will not yield any more power, but i will also be running lighter flywheel/front pulley to reduce parasitic losses.

I will start a build thread eventually ! But i'll post RR results as i go.

omega3000

« Reply #10 on: 18 June 2012, 15:13:17 »

Are 3.2 manifolds less restrictive than 3.0 ones  :-\

waspy

« Reply #11 on: 18 June 2012, 16:23:42 »

I am using one of my Omega's (the 2.5) as a donor for my kit car. I intend running it on Omex or Emerald ECU and running a MAP sensor, no MAF.
I will go down the route of using a 'custom' intake set-up, retaining air temp sensor and hopefully some 'ram-air' effect/cold air from the front of the car.
Exhaust manifolds will be re-made, tubular style.

Not sure if it will/will not yield any more power, but i will also be running lighter flywheel/front pulley to reduce parasitic losses.

I will start a build thread eventually ! But i'll post RR results as i go.

Hmmmm. Interesting. Yes keep us informed :y :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 June 2012, 12:12:44 »

Yes, they are a formed steel manifold as opposed to a thick walled iron casting.

omega3000

« Reply #13 on: 19 June 2012, 12:59:58 »

Yes, they are a formed steel manifold as opposed to a thick walled iron casting.

And a straight swop no doubt  :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #14 on: 19 June 2012, 14:00:23 »

will.. no doubt.. but the internals limit the gain and tuning requires some trial error with expensive tools.. and those hwo have that budget dont prefer omega..  if forged steel internals used/found and cooling redesigned ( dont know how) things may change.. but for less money there are better engines ready for that.. :-\ 
« Last Edit: 19 June 2012, 14:01:57 by cem »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 17 queries.