Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How much is a windscreen  (Read 5358 times)

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
Re: How much is a windscreen
« Reply #30 on: 02 August 2012, 21:33:13 »

Not a drop of Essex blood in my veins sonny boy. :P ;D

About as much Naarfik blood as there is in mine then, hey grandpa?  :D ;D
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #31 on: 02 August 2012, 21:33:45 »

The guy that fitted the new screen to the Elite looked carefully for rust and stated his company policy was that if there was excessive rust in the area the screen fitted, then he would not be prepared to fit a new one.  He said it was because of the warranty that Autoglass provided.

So if rust is discovered having removed a broken/cracked screen you would be left with a car with no windscreen !!
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

albitz

« Reply #32 on: 02 August 2012, 21:34:48 »

Silly Suffolk/nutty Narfik,all much the same really. :P ;D

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 02 August 2012, 21:45:24 »

The guy that fitted the new screen to the Elite looked carefully for rust and stated his company policy was that if there was excessive rust in the area the screen fitted, then he would not be prepared to fit a new one.  He said it was because of the warranty that Autoglass provided.

So if rust is discovered having removed a broken/cracked screen you would be left with a car with no windscreen !!

Spot on.  :y

As an ex Autoglass fitter, i can confirm this.  We were paid on a bonus scheme, and if a job came back as a rectification we would lose double the points that we got for fitting the screen in the first place.  It was an excellent way of ensuring quality of workmanship.

Unfortunately, I doubt some of the smaller firms would be so diligent.  :-\
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 August 2012, 21:46:14 »

Silly Suffolk/nutty Narfik,all much the same really. :P ;D

Right you!  Give me my windscreen back!!  >:( ;D :D

albitz

« Reply #35 on: 02 August 2012, 21:49:20 »

Come and get it. :P ;D.......you now need a pasport to get into Essex from up in the boondocks. ;D

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02 August 2012, 22:33:51 »

Come and get it. :P ;D.......you now need a pasport to get into Essex from up in the boondocks. ;D

;D ;D ;D :y

05omegav6

« Reply #37 on: 02 August 2012, 22:58:32 »

8) that's saatdees entertainment sorted :y

East Anglian windscreen derby :y

freecall666

• Omega Knight
  • looking over your shoulder
  • fun for all, get with the program
    • 2.0l sweat tank on wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 03 August 2012, 03:06:38 »

you don't buy them yourself, go via your insurance. Be just be the excess on your policy, normally anything from £30 to £100
do they always go on the cornner, is there 2 layers to the glass as top of the glass has no crack looks like its the black part? on full cover but says to shop around and they will do the rest but trying to find a ruff price they gave me a list auto glass etc they just want a quote for the price.

All modern cars have laminated windscreens, which is basically 2 thin sheets of glass, with a sheet of flexible material in the middle.  This stops the glass shattering into a million bits like the old toughened screens used to.

Most cracks in screens happen as a result of an impact from a stone or similar.  However Omegas do suffer from stress cracks in the bottoms corners of the screens.  This can be because of 2 reasons...

Usually it's delamination, caused by a combination of moisture ingress between the layers of the screen, and age causing the screen to become brittle.  Eventually it will cause the glass to crack, and is often joined by a milky appearance to the glass in the same area.

The other cause can be rust developing in the area where the screen is bonded to the car.  As the rust takes hold, it expands, pushing against the screen until it cracks under the pressure.

If you find the latter, it's imperative that you treat the rust before the new screen is fitted.  Otherwise the new screen will simply crack again, and you will almost certainly get water ingress into the car.

Hope this helps.  :y
thanks it started going milky 4-5weeks ago,  seen loads of mig's with it in same area, but then to day had look and has half moon crack from corner to corner with shinny bit in the middle its about inch from corner in half moon. dont think the window has ever been changed from new nothing on paper work usely keep mig in drive but idiot keeps parking over my drive so cannot get out so have been leaving mig out on the road, in drive sun dont get on mig alot but on the road its in the sun all the time. and been getting a wee bit hot inside.
Solar charger fitted.
If not Broke dont fix it..

freecall666

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 04 August 2012, 04:30:34 »

whats an inner trim says its going to cost £40 more???? and wont find out until the screen is out..
Solar charger fitted.

05omegav6

« Reply #40 on: 04 August 2012, 06:27:56 »

This trim is probably the frame that goes around the screen that the rubber moulding then clips into :y
It's called the trim seat, and now comes in four parts, top, bottom and two sides :y
If you pull the rubber trim away from the screen, you see it underneath :y

£40 sounds alot for a pattern set. All four parts from VX were £60, with discount, they fit perfectly as you'd expect  :y allow a week though, as three pieces are in stock in the UK, but the drivers side pillar one is somewhere in euroland ::) the rubber trims are £50 from VX and should be next day :

freecall666

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 04 August 2012, 06:57:22 »

This trim is probably the frame that goes around the screen that the rubber moulding then clips into :y
It's called the trim seat, and now comes in four parts, top, bottom and two sides :y
If you pull the rubber trim away from the screen, you see it underneath :y

£40 sounds alot for a pattern set. All four parts from VX were £60, with discount, they fit perfectly as you'd expect  :y allow a week though, as three pieces are in stock in the UK, but the drivers side pillar one is somewhere in euroland ::) the rubber trims are £50 from VX and should be next day :
oh right thanks for that, bit daft saying you may need them when the window is out, thats with autowindows. there was one omega windows £130 with them, autowindows want £130 for the window + £40 for the inner trim. but omega windows only have green tint one's in and mine is blue. dont like the idear of green on a blue mig.
Solar charger fitted.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 04 August 2012, 07:08:02 »

Windscreen excess is normally far less than your insurance excess, normally around £75.

Windscreen cover is normally only on Full Comp policies, not TPFT ones.

A word of warning on this subject.

A mate was with the same company for 3 years.
On the second year, he had his windscreen put in from a stone on the M62.
Got it replaced by paying the excess (he is always fully comp) and thought nothing about it.
2 years later, he move companys and on the form ticked the "no claims in the last 5 years" box.
A month later, he had his insurance cancelled because a windscreen IS classed as a claim even though it doesn't affect your ncb  >:(

Nowdays, he is not a happy man because everytime he trys to renew, it comes up that he has had his insurance cancelled as is now classed as a very naughty boy who lies to insurance company's  >:(

He now gets shafted bigtime  >:(

The flip side is if you do declare it, they will bump the figure up anyway  ;)

My advise is if its only going to cost you a few quid more, sometimes its better to bit the bullet and pay for it yourself  ;)

freecall666

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 04 August 2012, 07:31:10 »

going to pay it my self any way, was thinking about that my self as like to change and get abetter deal every now and then. and dont want to lose ncb points as keeps the insurance down. should last till the end off the month then get it fixed, it will give them a few weeks to get a blue tint windscreen in stock. :)
Solar charger fitted.

freecall666

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
Solar charger fitted.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 17 queries.