Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: V6 maximum power  (Read 12875 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: V6 maximum power
« Reply #60 on: 15 August 2012, 14:09:35 »

Where does the coolant flow after the pump? This has always puzzled me. IIRC there's a passage from the pump into each bank but does this go straight up into the heads or into the block? I'm guessing it goes down one and up the other on each bank, then to the thermostat?

IIRC there's a bypass passage from below the thermostat back to the pump that would need to be blanked off if going to an EWP.

One thing that's always worried me about controlling the temperature solely using an EWP is that you won't get the rapid internal circulation of coolant during warmup that you'll get when the thermostat's bypass is open, so will you get hot spots?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

markrnorton

• Intermediate Member
  • Essex
    • 2.2 & 2.5 Ginetta build
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 15 August 2012, 15:05:47 »

The Omega radiator is gigantic for the car in normal circumstances, so I wouldn't be changing that.

The block has a weird coolant flow route, including a "dual-pass" thermostat, so removal is going to be a bit more difficult than you might think.

Hang on - let's just go and have a look at a bare block I've got....

will have a custom rad built up (i know somebody), with additional capacity. original omega rad will not fit in the car.
« Last Edit: 15 August 2012, 15:20:41 by markrnorton »

markrnorton

• Intermediate Member
  • Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 15 August 2012, 15:07:55 »

One thing that's always worried me about controlling the temperature solely using an EWP is that you won't get the rapid internal circulation of coolant during warmup that you'll get when the thermostat's bypass is open, so will you get hot spots?

the water pump isn't at dead stop, there is scope for small( or whatever) flow rate when warming up.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #63 on: 15 August 2012, 16:32:37 »

The Omega radiator is gigantic for the car in normal circumstances, so I wouldn't be changing that.

The block has a weird coolant flow route, including a "dual-pass" thermostat, so removal is going to be a bit more difficult than you might think.

Hang on - let's just go and have a look at a bare block I've got....

definitely..

pirate

• Intermediate Member
  • westhumble surrey
    • steinmetz elit estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 15 August 2012, 17:22:12 »

this winter im going full steinmetz with a blower on a 3.2 looking at 320 bhp easy ,oil is the thing im looking into getting it cool. working on block now. :y

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 15 August 2012, 22:29:21 »

The coolant pump has a radial slot to each side from which the coolant flows into the block and around the cylinder jackets. From there it moves up into the heads and then back into the block to the thermostat hollow.

With the 'stat closed, there's a passageway for some of the coolant to bypass and allow the circuit to function, but forcing more coolant than normal up through the coolant bridge and to the heater.

with no thermostat, this passageway must be blocked. The pump must also be run during warm-up to allow coolant to circulate and prevent hot-spots and to prime the heater. It'll be a very delicate task. I'd advise the OP to do this on the 2.5 first, so it doesn't matter if he blows it up. As said, much lower risk to persevere with the mecanical coolant pump and thermostat.

You really need a way to pump coolant around the block whilst preventing flow to the radiator.
« Last Edit: 15 August 2012, 22:31:14 by 2woody »

markrnorton

• Intermediate Member
  • Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 16 August 2012, 07:57:03 »

The coolant pump has a radial slot to each side from which the coolant flows into the block and around the cylinder jackets. From there it moves up into the heads and then back into the block to the thermostat hollow.

With the 'stat closed, there's a passageway for some of the coolant to bypass and allow the circuit to function, but forcing more coolant than normal up through the coolant bridge and to the heater.

with no thermostat, this passageway must be blocked. The pump must also be run during warm-up to allow coolant to circulate and prevent hot-spots and to prime the heater. It'll be a very delicate task. I'd advise the OP to do this on the 2.5 first, so it doesn't matter if he blows it up. As said, much lower risk to persevere with the mecanical coolant pump and thermostat.

You really need a way to pump coolant around the block whilst preventing flow to the radiator.

ok, I understand this better now, so a 2 pump set-up maybe required or a leave the stat in or even a motorised valve arrangement.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 16 August 2012, 09:42:08 »

I'm pretty sure someone makes a cool running thermostat.. Swindon perhaps? Maybe there are cooler thermostats from other applications that would fit? Seems a much simpler and more reliable solution, to be honest.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

markrnorton

• Intermediate Member
  • Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 16 August 2012, 10:50:56 »

I'm pretty sure someone makes a cool running thermostat.. Swindon perhaps? Maybe there are cooler thermostats from other applications that would fit? Seems a much simpler and more reliable solution, to be honest.

I think you may be right

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 16 August 2012, 10:55:12 »

albitz

« Reply #70 on: 16 August 2012, 10:58:57 »

£144 for a thermostat !!  :o........thats beyond taking the p1ss. ::)

markrnorton

• Intermediate Member
  • Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 16 August 2012, 11:16:00 »

£144 for a thermostat !!  :o........thats beyond taking the p1ss. ::)

Its £25, £144 is for fitting

phew !

markrnorton

• Intermediate Member
  • Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 05 October 2012, 13:10:05 »

Just reviving this thread, a thought occured to me, if building up a stronger v6 from scratch would using the 3.0 as a base with the knowledge of shared pistons (easy to get hold of forged items) would the 3.2 steel crank fit the 3.0 block ?
ie are the journels the same ? could it be machined ?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 05 October 2012, 13:24:20 »

Lookiing at the bearings specs and the fact that the block casting is the same (so mains spacing etc is the same) it should fit.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 05 October 2012, 13:33:02 »

I thought the Y32SE crank had a slightly longer stroke, though?

Depends if the piston deck height and/or rod length takes this up.

That's not to say there isn't a combination of parts that would work, maybe some skimming of the pistons required, and calculation of the resulting CR?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.