Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I losing fuel?  (Read 1937 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: Am I losing fuel?
« Reply #15 on: 10 September 2012, 20:42:38 »

Hi guys,

not bumping but just spoke to me old dear. she says the fuel is definitely coming down very quickly so i believe there is something wrong.

i've checked the underneath while car running and no visible leaks. ill check the fuel filter next.

i've also checked spark plug 1 for a wet end but then i thought ''hmmm doesn't each cylinder get it's own fuel injector''? therefore i really need to check each plug for wet electrode???

if i find a wet plug can i simply just replace the fuel rail as i have ralf's one sitting in ze garage?

cheers guys, your help is appreciated :)
 :y :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 September 2012, 13:20:39 »

Hi guys,

not bumping but just spoke to me old dear. she says the fuel is definitely coming down very quickly so i believe there is something wrong.

i've checked the underneath while car running and no visible leaks. ill check the fuel filter next.

i've also checked spark plug 1 for a wet end but then i thought ''hmmm doesn't each cylinder get it's own fuel injector''? therefore i really need to check each plug for wet electrode???

if i find a wet plug can i simply just replace the fuel rail as i have ralf's one sitting in ze garage?

cheers guys, your help is appreciated :)
 :y :y :y

If your plugs were wet with fuel you would have other running issues and probably a knackered cat by now,is the car running normally?
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 September 2012, 14:42:29 »

yes mate car is running lovely and no misfire or any other problem
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 September 2012, 17:40:41 »

right then chaps. I've had a word with my tutor (beauty of being in motor vehicle school lol) and he said that if I've got no visible leaks (which i haven't) and no smell of fuel and nothing else obvious that i should check spark plugs but not for wetness like i thought. But for soot as that will show a richness. Now that's interesting cos when i pulled plug one it was black. I thought this was normal? So I'm thinkin i need to replace this injector rail? However he did mention a sensor that i cant remember what he called it that keeps the engine's computer thinkin the car is still cold therefore uses more fuel. SO before i go ahead and replace fuel rail anyone know what this sensor is he was talkin about and the likelihood of it being this? Sadly i caught him on break and he had to attend to other things so anything you guys can help me with would be awesome :-) x
RIP Paul Lovejoy

aaronjb

« Reply #19 on: 11 September 2012, 17:42:10 »

He was talking about the coolant temperature sensor - of which there are two, one runs the gauge and one talks to the ECU.

To find out if that's reading wrong you need to get live data off with something - tech2/hand held scanner etc - and see if it's reporting sensible values to the ECU (i.e. >80C or so when up to temperature)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 September 2012, 17:48:33 »

thats the one! great stuff. Cheers Aaron. So a logical set of questions now would be how easy are these to replace if faulty? And are these likely to fail and go bad?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

aaronjb

« Reply #21 on: 11 September 2012, 17:50:49 »

I seem to recall it's on the coolant bridge between the heads on the Omega, which makes it a little trickier to get to (plenum etc off) but not too bad.

They do go bad - certainly on other cars - not sure on the Omega but you've reminded me to check mine again as my economy seems to have suffered something chronic recently!

Another thing to check would be the MAF readings on live data; both air volume and inlet air temperature, as both will directly affect fuelling. Someone 'in the know' (like Kevin/TB/etc) would probably know if the values looked 'about right' by eye.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 September 2012, 18:06:52 »

As said worth checking temp sensors are good,if yours is a 2.5 you are lucky as inlet air temp sensor is seperate,on the 2.6/3.2 its part of the MAF,don't worry about the single wire sensor for the gauge as that one has no bearing on how the engine runs :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 September 2012, 18:18:57 »

Don't be too hasty to condemn it for sooty plugs. If the engine is cut straight after a spirited drive, I'd expect them to be clean. If it's done any idling, or been mimbling around town, I'd expect them to be sooty as they simply don't have enough heat in them to prevent a light layer of carbon build-up.

IME, fuel injector problems are very rare. It might be over-fuelling for other reasons, though. Have you got an exhaust gas analyser there? Worth a check to see what's coming out of the exhaust?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 September 2012, 19:54:16 »

Thanks guys.

here's a pic of the engine minus the plenum and inlets..... is the temp sesor visible here? if so can you tell me where it is and is it possible to see a dodgy sensor by eye?

thanks again. ill defo book in a tech 2 check with one of the legends... hopefully TB if he's free  :) :) :) :) :-* :-* :-*
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11 September 2012, 21:09:37 »

Bring it over.

Coolant temp sensor at back of V on coolant bridge (bridge between 2 banks)
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12 September 2012, 09:39:56 »

thanks so much guys. Pm sent to TB :-)
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.