Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG Conversion Still Worthwhile?  (Read 25836 times)

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: LPG Conversion Still Worthwhile?
« Reply #120 on: 04 October 2012, 22:23:38 »

I am relatively new to LPG too. But straight away I could spot a few problems as the others have said.

Worryingly the cable ties are a COP 11 failure.

And the tank is odd, why are the mounting brackets pointing upwards and not secure?

The straws approach is a lazy and easy way out, though some may argue that there is nothing wrong with straws.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 04 October 2012, 22:39:00 »

I am relatively new to LPG too. But straight away I could spot a few problems as the others have said.

Worryingly the cable ties are a COP 11 failure.

And the tank is odd, why are the mounting brackets pointing upwards and not secure?

The straws approach is a lazy and easy way out, though some may argue that there is nothing wrong with straws.

There is nothing wrong with them and in some applications they are a necessity... But in the Omega they are, as you rightly say, a cop out and used as a time saver. It means that any future "Plenum off" work needs special attention upon reassembly ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

feeutfo

« Reply #122 on: 04 October 2012, 22:43:34 »

Important thing now is, the owner takes the right approach in getting it sorted. Which he seems to be, bless him. :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 04 October 2012, 22:59:54 »

Important thing now is, the owner takes the right approach in getting it sorted. Which he seems to be, bless him. :y
Depending on exactly where he is in Berkshire, do you fancy (and more to the point, have time) to give it a quick look over? At least then he can go back armed with some knowledge

feeutfo

« Reply #124 on: 04 October 2012, 23:52:49 »

Depending on exactly where he is in Berkshire, do you fancy (and more to the point, have time) to give it a quick look over? At least then he can go back armed with some knowledge
yes we could compare, but I've got two days that aren't 12hour shifts or I'm out of the country, until mid November. :(

Although if near Reading or Slough... :y

Strangechap

• Berkshire
    • Omega Elite 3.0 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 05 October 2012, 10:22:17 »

Thanks for all your concern chaps. I must say, I'm pretty gutted that you've all spotted so many problems. I had a bit of sleepless night last night after reading all your comments.

I do appreciate you all being so honest in your opinions.

I'm going to have a quick look to see if I can find a copy of these COP 11 regs. @lazydocker, hold fire for now, I appreciate the offer but don't want to put you to any trouble just yet.

I'm going to call the installer today and run it all past him. See what he suggests. I'm pretty p!ssed off to be honest. I did a good amount of research into the LPG thing and I've taken a lot of stick from the missus who thought I would be better off getting a diesel car instead (she hates Omegas too  :o  ) I've also parted with a lot of money, for what I thought would be a top notch installation.

The installer really came across as knowing what he was doing. I'm not going to mention his name just yet because I think it fair that I give him the opportunity to sort out the problems. I'm hoping he will do that.

@chrisgixer, I'm from Reading. Reading is no problem.  My availability is also a bit limited and I don't want to put you to any trouble, but if we are both free at the same time, I would very much appreciate a bit of your time. I'm about saturday AM and sunday.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 05 October 2012, 10:25:48 »

Tim, the only real safety concern is the security of the tank, which is probably fine but hard to tell from pictures ;)

The other things aren't majorly urgent. I'm sorry that our observations have caused a sleepless night :-[ Mostly it's just not as tidy as I would expect but the security of the fuel line is definitely a fail ;)

feeutfo

« Reply #127 on: 05 October 2012, 10:28:10 »

Sunday mid day is fine. So far.

Don't worry too much, provided its set up ok, cop 11 is fussy, but it's a standard he should stick to. That's what you've paid for.

Cirtainly not worth a sleepless night.

Strangechap

• Berkshire
    • Omega Elite 3.0 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 05 October 2012, 10:30:46 »

Oh don't worry, I've got a lot of other sh!t that kept me up too, this was one of the things whizzing around my head along with everything else.

Don't worry, I'm not panicking, but I am a bit annoyed about the install.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 05 October 2012, 10:33:30 »

Oh don't worry, I've got a lot of other sh!t that kept me up too, this was one of the things whizzing around my head along with everything else.

Don't worry, I'm not panicking, but I am a bit annoyed about the install.

Tim, the installation is certainly not the worst I've seen. It seems pretty tidy apart from the things we have pointed out ;)

Don't let it bother you too much, just make sure the guy puts it right :y

aaronjb

« Reply #130 on: 05 October 2012, 10:49:26 »

It didn't look like there were any rubber grommets where the hoses exit the chassis, either, to me? I'd want some there to prevent chafing..

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 05 October 2012, 14:45:39 »

It didn't look like there were any rubber grommets where the hoses exit the chassis, either, to me? I'd want some there to prevent chafing..
There should already be grommets in the holes... At least there have been on any conversions I've done :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 05 October 2012, 14:54:20 »

There should already be grommets in the holes... At least there have been on any conversions I've done :-\

That hole looks freshly drilled to me.

I think I fed mine through a hole that had been drilled but plugged with a blanking plug. Grommets.. That reminds me, actually. :-[  :-X

Anyway, nothing wrong there that is imminently dangerous, as said, and, to be honest, if you don't get any joy with the installer there is plenty of expertise available on here to help you sort it. I know it's galling to pay a lot of money for something substandard but it's not the end of the world. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 05 October 2012, 15:00:47 »

So it does... Just looked again :-[ ::)

Looked at the tank picture again... It looks like it's only secured by 2 (flimsy looking) brackets at the front, which worries me a lot as it could easily break free in an impact :o

It really grips my sh!t that these "Professional, Registered" installers can bang out sub-standard work and certify it as compliant when it blatantly isn't >:( >:(

Strangechap

• Berkshire
    • Omega Elite 3.0 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 05 October 2012, 15:58:27 »

Ok chaps, I've phoned the installer, and I don't think you're going to like what he said.

But I don't disagree with what he says and I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure many of you will disagree and I'm cool with that. I'm respecting everyones opinion.

I asked him about these points:

Ties used to hold fuel lines on.
He said: Yes, they do contravene COP-11. However, he doesn't agree with the regulations in this case. He installs the fuel lines with ties because they don't corrode and they don't cause rust where the holes are drilled to attach metal hose clips. He has argued with UKLPG over this many times. He has installed many systems over the last 12 years and never had any issues. He said there are plenty of well mounted fuel lines already underneath to attach to.

Tank securing
The tank is properly secured into the spare wheel well. It is attached at the top and bottom. The loads around the bolts are spread with 3mm thick washers of at least 2 inch diameter.

Vapour hose too close to EGR
Yes, the hose is closer than the stipulated 150mm, but he argues the EGR is not at as high temperature as an exhaust manifold and the hose is close to the actuator which doesn't reach the same temps.
I need to have a look at this myself at the weekend.

He stated that he has argued with UKPLG several times about regulations he doesn't think are right, yet he has still been presented awards for some of his installs. He says that just because UKPLG say it, doesn't mean it's right. He's been doing LPG for 12 years and was a mechanic and engineer before that. He feels that he knows what he's talking about. He is very proud of his work and very patiently explained everything to me.

On the subject of straws, he maintains that rather than being a cop out, he feels it allows him to calibrate the injectors better. I got a bit lost here as it was windy outside and I couldn't hear so well.

I was bit worried about tackling him on the issue. I'm not the sort of chap who shies away from confrontation however, but he was very professional and sympathetic to my concerns and took the time to explain his reasoning behind the parts of the install. He made no attempt to fob me off. I've dealt with some bullsh!tters in my time and he really doesn't come across as one. He is obviously proud of his work and is capable of backing up his install with reasons for doing things the way he does them. I don't believe the points you all very kindly brought up were due to his ignorance or laziness, but were done with a genuine reasoning behind them.

I'm not quite sure what to do now. On one hand I have you chaps, who obviously know what you are talking about, on the other I have a professional installer, who I truly believe also knows what he is talking about, but both with different opinions. I'm kind of stuck in the middle.  ???

Hmm.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 17 queries.