Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Project Rust Removal  (Read 1863 times)

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
Project Rust Removal
« on: 30 September 2012, 20:04:56 »

Started treating the rust on the lip of the arch today. This is what it looked like.

Used a nail brush to get rid most of the muck under the wheel arch and then using a wire brush on a drill cleaned up the arch lip. Then removed the loose paint and sanded down using 200 grit paper. After a lot of sanding this is what it looked like:

This is as far as I got today. I have a lot more sanding to do next week to get it down to bare metal.  :(  Epoxy is quite expensive so I might try this stuff http://www.bilthamber.com/deox-gel/ and then http://www.autopaintsbrighton.co.uk/stone-chip-gravi-guard-u-pol-aerosol-black-500ml-241-p.asp and not bother with painting.

Thoughts. 

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: Project Rust Removal
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2012, 20:18:14 »

Good luck
RIP Paul Lovejoy

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2012, 21:01:10 »

a visit to ship yards/docks may be helpful for some free epoxy :)

but in case you will use that aerosol , use grey one.. :y

ps: you must see the bare metal for best results..

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2012, 21:28:07 »

Thanks for the replies.

Webby, I've been reading your threads about rust with interest and see you eventually threw in the towel any got it professionally done. Has the rust reappeared?

Cem, will I eventually get shiny metal by using 100 grit paper? Shall I keep sanding dry?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2012, 21:42:37 »

I took the angle grinder to mine and it was down to bare metal in no time! Coat of rust killer, followed by a coat of Hammerite!!  :y

It's a only temporary measure to stop the rust getting out of control.....  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2012, 21:50:20 »

Don't like using angle grinders. They scare me  :-[

omega3000

« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2012, 21:51:21 »

I took the angle grinder to mine and it was down to bare metal in no time! Coat of rust killer, followed by a coat of Hammerite!!  :y

You nicked my patent   >:(>:( ;D I done exactly the same ...seems to have kept it at bay for a good 5 months now . Time will tell and a good lashing of a salty winter roads  ::) maybe it will be time for metal replacement come spring  ::) :-X

Easiest way to get back to metal  :y Most used power tool , has come in handy with this car  ;D :y If you really dont like to use them then a dremel will do but will take longer ..use goggles  ;)
« Last Edit: 30 September 2012, 21:56:33 by EMD »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2012, 21:57:57 »

Thanks for the replies.

Webby, I've been reading your threads about rust with interest and see you eventually threw in the towel any got it professionally done. Has the rust reappeared?

Cem, will I eventually get shiny metal by using 100 grit paper? Shall I keep sanding dry?

continue with 150 grid dry until bare metal and no rust is left .. and dont leave even a pinhole when you prime it..

trust me when I did that on roof I spend long hours on roof and I lost my arms ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2012, 22:01:31 »

angle grinders :o ;D   I dont think omega has a metal thickness same as an armored battle tank!

I can recommend a sanding machine at best.. which will also dig the paint .. best results always comes with patience :y

omega3000

« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2012, 22:09:42 »

Use with caution and lightness   :-* Dremel will get the worst off then hand sand feather edge in paint  :y I have metal cutting discs ready for spring  :( Will post step by step before and after metal rust removal

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2012, 23:03:40 »

at that point , I feel the need to say a few words more..

use a sanding block and gloves..and repair whole arch on both sides.. so you will never had to deal with it again.. and also if you find/purchase epoxy , approx 150-200 grs will do both inside and out.. :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 October 2012, 00:20:57 »

You nicked my patent   >:(>:( ;D I done exactly the same ...seems to have kept it at bay for a good 5 months now . Time will tell and a good lashing of a salty winter roads  ::) maybe it will be time for metal replacement come spring  ::) :-X

Easiest way to get back to metal  :y Most used power tool , has come in handy with this car  ;D :y If you really dont like to use them then a dremel will do but will take longer ..use goggles  ;)

I even mixed up a bit of black and blue Hammerite and managed to achieve not quite Nocturno blue!  :)  Although it does say on the tin not to mix colours, so we'll see...  ::)  :-\
« Last Edit: 01 October 2012, 00:22:31 by TiggerHayes »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

omega3000

« Reply #12 on: 01 October 2012, 15:28:10 »

I even mixed up a bit of black and blue Hammerite and managed to achieve not quite Nocturno blue!  :)  Although it does say on the tin not to mix colours, so we'll see...  ::)  :-\

I have many colours of hammerite too  ;D Maybe next time around it could be mixed with epoxy  :-X ;D

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 October 2012, 15:47:39 »

Continued with this yesterday, more sanding and drilling with wire brush. After lots of rubbing I could see some bare metal but got a bit bored/impatient so proceeded with the next stage which was to apply Bilt Hamber Deox Gel. It was a bit tricky applying this in my case as the affected area was upside down and the instruction stated it had to be evenly applied about 2-3mm thick and then having to wrapping it in cling film. Didnt take any pictures at this stage but 18 hours later this was what I found:

Washed with water and scrubbed, as can be seen the rust is gone (I think) and bare metal can be seen:

More sanding:

Prep for painting:

I decided not to fill/sand/prime/paint and instead use something called gravi guard as suggested by albs purely to simplify things and plus limited time + patience.

The end product looks better than it does in the picture but there is a lip that can be seen which I expected due to it being so close the edge. Can I sand this down? I have 80-120g sandpaper. Would any of these work?

I'm happy with what I achieved and can recommend the Bilt Hamber stuff, as it looks to have gotten rid of the rust but time will tell how effective it was. 1kg tub was around £12 delivered and goes a long way!

Comments/thoughts welcome.

omega3000

« Reply #14 on: 08 October 2012, 13:24:12 »

Looking good , now its been treated i would leave it a while to see if its cured the problem . Then re-apply some more gravi guard to build up the layer and give more protection from stone chips  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.