Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Nice Classic Standard  (Read 7600 times)

Lizzie_Zoom

Re: Nice Classic Standard
« Reply #30 on: 20 November 2012, 13:25:06 »

:D :D
This the same model, a Humber Hawk, that was owned by my father in law and I drove:

I loved the bench seats and the solid feel to the car.  The only drawback, as with so many big cars at this time, was the lack of power steering.  You had instead a very big steering wheel to change the direction of 3 tons of car!

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #31 on: 20 November 2012, 13:27:09 »

This, the famous Ford Cortina Mk2 1600E, will always be one of my favourite cars from the late 1960s.  A real classic :-* :-*

:y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #32 on: 20 November 2012, 13:31:01 »

Then there is my first car, a 1960 Farina bodied Austin A40:

The one I owned was a real rust bucket on wheels, but apart from it being my first car, bought for £15, I learnt a lot of my car mechanic skills on it keeping it going after replacing the valves, piston rings, and all oil seals:

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :y

omega3000

« Reply #33 on: 20 November 2012, 13:41:34 »

This, the famous Ford Cortina Mk2 1600E, will always be one of my favourite cars from the late 1960s.  A real classic :-* :-*

I had wanted one of those in my late teens , but gradually went off them and wanted a capri  ;D i bought the capri for £50 that was sitting in a car park for 2 yrs , a new windscreen and brake/engine service ... flew through the MOT  :o :D

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #34 on: 20 November 2012, 14:22:49 »

I had wanted one of those in my late teens , but gradually went off them and wanted a capri  ;D i bought the capri for £50 that was sitting in a car park for 2 yrs , a new windscreen and brake/engine service ... flew through the MOT  :o :D

Ah yes, the sporty version of a Cortina, certainly in 1600 form! :y

The 2.8i versions that came out in the 1980s were rather special, but some how in some sectors were considered a poor mans sports car.  "So what" I thought at the time, and personally admired them but never managed to even drive one.

A good example of one, a 1983 2.8i version:

omega3000

« Reply #35 on: 20 November 2012, 14:30:53 »

Mine was a 1.6L  :-[ but with 2.8 leaf springs , rock solid car and never welded in its life ...was the first  car i attempted adjustment of valves and succeeded  :)  I went on to replace the 4 speed box to a cortina mk5 5 speed ....So simple mechanics , nothing like today's cars  :(

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #36 on: 20 November 2012, 14:33:32 »

Mine was a 1.6L  :-[ but with 2.8 leaf springs , rock solid car and never welded in its life ...was the first  car i attempted adjustment of valves and succeeded  :)  I went on to replace the 4 speed box to a cortina mk5 5 speed ....So simple mechanics , nothing like today's cars :(

Yes indeed :y :y

That is what I constantly mutter about when working on the miggy ::) ::)  Once it was sooooo easy to undertake car mechanics.  It is the bloody electronics / sensors/ cabling that gets in the way now. :(

The 1.6 Capri's were rather nippy for their day but actually had no more performance than my 1.6 Cortina's.  Just looked better! :-*
« Last Edit: 20 November 2012, 14:35:28 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #37 on: 20 November 2012, 14:41:50 »

This is similar to my last Cortina in 1980, a Cortina Estate MkV:

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20 November 2012, 14:56:01 »

Ah yes, the sporty version of a Cortina, certainly in 1600 form! :y

The 2.8i versions that came out in the 1980s were rather special, but some how in some sectors were considered a poor mans sports car.  "So what" I thought at the time, and personally admired them but never managed to even drive one.

A good example of one, a 1983 2.8i version:

The 1600E was more the luxury version,the Gt and the Lotus ticked the sporty boxes better,still love the E though :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

omega3000

« Reply #39 on: 20 November 2012, 15:08:50 »

I had a white mk5 cortina with a body kit on it  ;D Very enjoyable revvy engine when it went  ::) Inner wings fell to bits and electrics always kept you busy  ;D Loved owning that car and it kept me busy just like the omega  >:( ;D

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #40 on: 20 November 2012, 15:19:20 »

I had a white mk5 cortina with a body kit on it  ;D Very enjoyable revvy engine when it went  ::) Inner wings fell to bits and electrics always kept you busy ;D Loved owning that car and it kept me busy just like the omega  >:( ;D

Very nice EMD. :y  I miss those cars ;)

However they were not called "Dagenham Dustbins" for nothing ;D ;D ;D ;D

omega3000

« Reply #41 on: 20 November 2012, 15:28:03 »

Another car i would like to own is one like THIS ONE very appealing and simple mechanics  :) Tax free of course  :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 20 November 2012, 15:32:50 »

Another car i would like to own is one like THIS ONE very appealing and simple mechanics  :) Tax free of course  :y

That's a posh one .. very modern .. :)

Mine was 1952 version .. split front screen - all glass was still "flat" ... 918cc side valve engine ... vacuum wipers .. semaphore indicators ... :)

If I still had it just what would it be worth !!!!  :)

Edit ... just love the way he describes the boot rack as a "rear bike rack" .... I just wonder how you'd get a bike on there !!!  :)

« Last Edit: 20 November 2012, 15:34:53 by Entwood »

omega3000

« Reply #43 on: 20 November 2012, 15:49:09 »

Mine was 1952 version .. split front screen - all glass was still "flat" ... 918cc side valve engine ... vacuum wipers .. semaphore indicators ... :)

Edit ... just love the way he describes the boot rack as a "rear bike rack" .... I just wonder how you'd get a bike on there !!!  :)

Was that supposed to be a picnic box rack originally  :-\ Lovely condition that car  :)

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #44 on: 20 November 2012, 15:50:04 »

Oh yes Entwood, the very classic Morris Minor :-* :-* :-*

Like this:

With Trafficator

:-*
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 17 queries.