Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Sticking Lifter  (Read 9151 times)

omega3000

Re: Sticking Lifter
« Reply #75 on: 02 January 2013, 18:10:02 »

Wonder if omega diesels are as tappy as this  :( Maybe get another tin of wynns tomorrow and a set of boom boxes  :D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 02 January 2013, 22:40:57 »

Ime it can be quite difficult to tell lifter and exhaust manifold/egr/egr pipe leaks apart.

My old 2.5 had a slight exhaust manifold leak, which went away once warm. ( obviously that would have only got worse) This sounded very similar to noisy lifter(s) on my old 3.2 cured with oil changes and wynns.

Then there was TB's rattling Mv6 after fitting LPG, where, iirc, the combination of loose egr pipe and lifer noise was blamed.

Then there's Tunnies 3.2 with suspected low oil pressure. Again, first listen sounds like lifter, but it gets worse when warm at low revs, or something like?

There's plenty of options passed lifter noise.

But as said, post a video with sound.

is there any way to tell if you have a leaking exh. manifold? perhaps spraying some water around that area?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

feeutfo

« Reply #77 on: 02 January 2013, 23:07:48 »

Ime it can be quite difficult to tell lifter and exhaust manifold/egr/egr pipe leaks apart.

My old 2.5 had a slight exhaust manifold leak, which went away once warm. ( obviously that would have only got worse) This sounded very similar to noisy lifter(s) on my old 3.2 cured with oil changes and wynns.

Then there was TB's rattling Mv6 after fitting LPG, where, iirc, the combination of loose egr pipe and lifer noise was blamed.

Then there's Tunnies 3.2 with suspected low oil pressure. Again, first listen sounds like lifter, but it gets worse when warm at low revs, or something like?

is there any way to tell if you have a leaking exh. manifold? perhaps spraying some water around that area?
...will likely go up in steam. It's been a long time since I had an egr. This is pas side anyway, by the sound of it.

Still could be exhaust fanimold though. No?

omega3000

« Reply #78 on: 02 January 2013, 23:16:06 »

I will double triple check to see if there is any sign of manifold leakage , replacement gasket not for the faint hearted so i hear  :-\ Not really sure how to load a video , presuming it can be done on P'bucket  ???

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 02 January 2013, 23:17:31 »

...will likely go up in steam. It's been a long time since I had an egr. This is pas side anyway, by the sound of it.

Still could be exhaust fanimold though. No?

thats what i was thinking. i may give it a go  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 02 January 2013, 23:18:11 »

I will double triple check to see if there is any sign of manifold leakage , replacement gasket not for the faint hearted so i hear  :-\ Not really sure how to load a video , presuming it can be done on P'bucket  ???

exactly as you would upload a piccie mate... just browse through ''your videos'' instead  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

feeutfo

« Reply #81 on: 02 January 2013, 23:18:23 »

haven't you done that yet?  ;D Yes p'bucket works. ;)

omega3000

« Reply #82 on: 02 January 2013, 23:30:53 »

haven't you done that yet;D Yes p'bucket works. ;)

Nah , ive been hobbling to the bank today  ;D And scraped the exhaust on a speed bump on the way back  ::) As the car runs very well and its not put a rod through the sump yet it has to be one or the other ..that is lifter/s or what your saying the manifold but the manifold usually makes a popping sound not a metallic tap tap rattle sound . Ill check manifold to rule that out .
I take it there is no way of checking the lifters until its all in pieces with cam out an all  :-\

martin42

« Reply #83 on: 02 January 2013, 23:36:32 »

Its not manifold leaking,it is more a tappety sound on passenger bank

omega3000

« Reply #84 on: 02 January 2013, 23:38:03 »

Thats what i thought you said martin  ;D Not big ends then  :-X

feeutfo

« Reply #85 on: 03 January 2013, 00:00:33 »

Thats what i thought you said martin  ;D Not big ends then  :-X
I think it's more a case of keeping an open mind. Unless it actually is a lifter of course. ;)

omega3000

« Reply #86 on: 03 January 2013, 13:35:28 »

Video , undecided now ...could be manifold gasket  ???

The more i listen to it the more im thinking its not lifters , a while back i use to get a slight blow from the manifold until it warmed up ... now if this is the manifold then its definitely blown now  ??? ??? ???

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 03 January 2013, 13:49:32 »

I assume you have checked the fire-ring gasket that seals the downpipe to the exhaust manifold ?

From my experiences with replacing both manifold gaskets that noise sounds more exhaust related than lifters.

Might also be well worth trying to get car into the air and have a very close look( as best as possible) to ensure a manifold stud has not sheared allowing the face of the manifold to not seal with the head.

omega3000

« Reply #88 on: 03 January 2013, 14:03:39 »

Could what i mentioned about the slight blow beforehand have any significance , and then its just blown altogether now ? Not quite sure what you mean about the fire ring .. will have to get someone to look at it  :'(

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 03 January 2013, 14:07:46 »

There should be a thin gasket that fits between the exhaust downpipe and manifold .

It looks like a white asbestos type of gasket..think idea is it will expand when it gets hot to seal joint between bothe metaal surfaces.Worth checking gasket is there as you would get a "blow" from that joint and being high up the noise could sound like a leaking manifold.

Also check the nuts on the manifold/downpipe studs arent loose.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 17 queries.