Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Mother Tunnie is currently sitting in...  (Read 7380 times)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Mother Tunnie is currently sitting in...
« Reply #45 on: 05 January 2013, 23:35:18 »

No doubt cats will need dropping, because the exhaust studs will snap.

if the exhaust had been fitted correctally,eg run the flanges with a 5/16 drill then fitted m8x65 nuts bolts washers and lots o copperslipage wouldnt need to drop front pipes. ???

Done too many exhausts, bet 3 of the 4 snap. To be fair, it's same one that was on the car when we bought it almost 5 years ago now
well then just dot punch the snaped ones then run a small pilot hole then put the 5/16 drill thro.
Hoof'land storeman.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 06 January 2013, 08:45:15 »

No doubt cats will need dropping, because the exhaust studs will snap.

if the exhaust had been fitted correctally,eg run the flanges with a 5/16 drill then fitted m8x65 nuts bolts washers and lots o copperslipage wouldnt need to drop front pipes. ???

Done too many exhausts, bet 3 of the 4 snap. To be fair, it's same one that was on the car when we bought it almost 5 years ago now
well then just dot punch the snaped ones then run a small pilot hole then put the 5/16 drill thro.

Yup, been there many times, its just an arse doing it on the garage floor.

05omegav6

« Reply #47 on: 06 January 2013, 09:05:38 »

Was going to change my exhaust myself, until I started the job ::)

Ended up taking it to my local tyre place :-\ Best £35 I spent that month ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 06 January 2013, 09:52:19 »

Yeah, got an Eternal one on the way myself, and wondering if I can be bothered... ::)

I do have the use of my mate's 2 post lift, though.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 06 January 2013, 09:54:07 »

Actually, I'm wondering why I wouldn't drill right through the threads on the cat flanges and put a nut on the other side, then just treat the nuts and bolts as consumables, chop them off and replace next time.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 06 January 2013, 09:55:13 »

I'd recommend an F11 530d Auto to be honest if the budget will stretch to that? The 3.0 Diesel is extremely refined, it will be quicker and far more fuel efficient than her Omega (sorry but it will), the Autobox is silky, the ride is smooth, the drive and feel is fantastic and they're very solidly built. Most important of all, they're a big, comfy, rear drive cruiser :).
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 06 January 2013, 10:07:04 »

Actually, I'm wondering why I wouldn't drill right through the threads on the cat flanges and put a nut on the other side, then just treat the nuts and bolts as consumables, chop them off and replace next time.

Like that idea, should have done that on the 3.2, recall though due to the pipe angle, sometimes it was difficult to get a decent size nut both ends  :-\

I'd recommend an F11 530d Auto to be honest if the budget will stretch to that? The 3.0 Diesel is extremely refined, it will be quicker and far more fuel efficient than her Omega (sorry but it will), the Autobox is silky, the ride is smooth, the drive and feel is fantastic and they're very solidly built. Most important of all, they're a big, comfy, rear drive cruiser :).

Fully Agree on the fuel use, V6 is already smooth never driven a very modern derv yet, but all reports say they are fantastic.

Won't stretch to F11, be previous shape £15k if she did swap would be around the kind of budget I think  :y

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 06 January 2013, 10:18:41 »

Like that idea, should have done that on the 3.2, recall though due to the pipe angle, sometimes it was difficult to get a decent size nut both ends  :-\

Fully Agree on the fuel use, V6 is already smooth never driven a very modern derv yet, but all reports say they are fantastic.

Won't stretch to F11, be previous shape £15k if she did swap would be around the kind of budget I think  :y

The E61 still has a very good engine, although it is less refined than the F11, it'll still be quicker & better on fuel than the Omega though. £15,000 should get you a relatively high spec model. Which would she be looking at M Sport or SE?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 06 January 2013, 10:24:56 »

V6 is already smooth never driven a very modern derv yet, but all reports say they are fantastic.
Most 6 cylinder engines are silky smooth, whether petrol or diesel. Obviously diesels still clatter when cold, but not as bad as they used to.

A modern diesel needs a different driving style to get the best out of them, although I doubt this would be an issue for your mum. In fact, she may get on better, due to all that midrange torque.

Despite the manufacturers service schedule, still essential for more regular oil changes, far moreso than petrols.
Grumpy old man

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 06 January 2013, 10:26:16 »

V6 is already smooth never driven a very modern derv yet, but all reports say they are fantastic.
Most 6 cylinder engines are silky smooth, whether petrol or diesel. Obviously diesels still clatter when cold, but not as bad as they used to.

A modern diesel needs a different driving style to get the best out of them, although I doubt this would be an issue for your mum. In fact, she may get on better, due to all that midrange torque.

Despite the manufacturers service schedule, still essential for more regular oil changes, far moreso than petrols.

I'd also echo that :y.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 06 January 2013, 10:30:54 »

The E61 still has a very good engine, although it is less refined than the F11, it'll still be quicker & better on fuel than the Omega though. £15,000 should get you a relatively high spec model. Which would she be looking at M Sport or SE?

I'd also echo that :y.

I've always preferred Sport spec, found the SE steering wheels too thin  :(

Don't think she has been in BMW yet, might take her out to sit in one.

Same here, one thing I would continue to do is oil changes.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 06 January 2013, 10:37:30 »

You got the diags equipment to reset the service intervals? ;)
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 06 January 2013, 10:40:26 »

Bugger  :(

Wonder how you remove the bulb  ::)

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 06 January 2013, 10:51:34 »

The reset on those is a piece of widdle, no diagnostic tools are needed :).

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 06 January 2013, 10:52:28 »

The Sport will ride a lot harder, and the front bumper means you must be careful of curbs because the Sport bumper is quite low.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.