Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: A nice new home for my Omega's - Build Thread  (Read 30111 times)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
Re: A nice new home for my Omega's - Build Thread
« Reply #105 on: 22 February 2013, 09:44:34 »

Looking fantastic  :y

+1 very nice indeed :y :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

mantahatch

« Reply #106 on: 22 February 2013, 09:56:28 »

Indeed very good. From your picture I see brickwork across the front where the garage door would close on to. Is that what I see or are my eyes failing again ?
I ask as that is not how it would be built round here. Round here it would just be shuttered across the front and then the garage floor would be poured and the concrete would form that front edge.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 22 February 2013, 10:30:10 »

It does say that it's temporary ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

mantahatch

« Reply #108 on: 22 February 2013, 10:32:08 »

Ah thank you, dodgy eyes missing a post somewhere  :(

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #109 on: 22 February 2013, 10:33:53 »

Wow!!  That is coming along very nicely 8) 8) 8) :y :y :y :y

Love it! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 22 February 2013, 10:36:02 »

looking very nice James very nice indeed, whens the sign board going up over the entrance  :y :y

aaronjb

« Reply #111 on: 22 February 2013, 10:41:05 »

I don't know whether I'm more jealous of the size, now, or your sheer motivation and fitness (the amount you get done in a weekend)!

There's a similar thread on another forum I frequent where a fella is building a 6m x 15m garage with 'relieved' roof trusses to allow a two post lift.. suddenly I feel very garage-inadequate!

cleggy

« Reply #112 on: 22 February 2013, 11:19:01 »

A really brilliant piece of work, your enthusiasm is to be commended :y :y :y

Soon be time to get the carrots in :D ;D ;D

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 22 February 2013, 11:19:48 »

I don't know whether I'm more jealous of the size, now, or your sheer motivation and fitness (the amount you get done in a weekend)!

There's a similar thread on another forum I frequent where a fella is building a 6m x 15m garage with 'relieved' roof trusses to allow a two post lift.. suddenly I feel very garage-inadequate!

got a letter yesterday the garage i rent is being sold in april :'( :'( finding another is going to be a bloddy nightmare.

garageless in ramsgate

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 22 February 2013, 11:38:23 »

Indeed very good. From your picture I see brickwork across the front where the garage door would close on to. Is that what I see or are my eyes failing again ?
I ask as that is not how it would be built round here. Round here it would just be shuttered across the front and then the garage floor would be poured and the concrete would form that front edge.

It's a valid question, and I'll try and explain, although it will become more clear in pictures when I get to that part.

The bricks are forming a temporary shutter for the concrete floor, and the top 2 courses are set back into the garage by 2 inches.  After the floor is poured, these 2 courses will be removed.  The lower courses will remain to provide a good foundation for the driveway where it meets the garage floor.  The driveway will be 1 inch lower than the grage floor, which means the garage door will effectively be closing into a rebate, thus preventing any driving rain from entering the garage under the door.

Well that's the plan anyway.  It's my design, so it could all go horribly wrong yet!  ;D :y
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 22 February 2013, 11:40:19 »

6m x 15m  :o Christ, you're not the only one!!  :(

Although, I had built my garage that big, I would be skint and divorced by now!!  ;D
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

mantahatch

« Reply #116 on: 22 February 2013, 12:39:13 »

It's a valid question, and I'll try and explain, although it will become more clear in pictures when I get to that part.

The bricks are forming a temporary shutter for the concrete floor, and the top 2 courses are set back into the garage by 2 inches.  After the floor is poured, these 2 courses will be removed.  The lower courses will remain to provide a good foundation for the driveway where it meets the garage floor.  The driveway will be 1 inch lower than the grage floor, which means the garage door will effectively be closing into a rebate, thus preventing any driving rain from entering the garage under the door.

Well that's the plan anyway.  It's my design, so it could all go horribly wrong yet!  ;D :y

That actually sounds like a good idea. I cannot for the life of me think why this is not done on all new garages. Well done  :y

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 22 February 2013, 18:00:36 »

did you nail the tiles down?

before it sets too hard give the course of bricks (where the scaffold boards have allowed a build up of mortar) a good rub with a wire brush.

acope

• Tamworth Staffs
    • Daewoo Musso...sorry !
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 22 February 2013, 18:13:17 »

looks great...looks ginourmous  :y
ALAN

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 22 February 2013, 19:33:00 »

did you nail the tiles down?

Yep!  :y

before it sets too hard give the course of bricks (where the scaffold boards have allowed a build up of mortar) a good rub with a wire brush.

There's no mortar build up mate, as the brickies were spotlessly clean. The areas just above the scaffold boards have now been attacked with a stiff broom, and they are fine.  :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 17 queries.