Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Trailer towing advice  (Read 5802 times)

platty

• Cambridge
    • BMW 530d Sport
    • View Profile
Trailer towing advice
« on: 12 May 2008, 11:10:07 »

Hello all,

I'm trying to establish what I can or cannot tow with the Omega. I passed my test in 2001 and am 24 years old. I have only category "B" on my licence.

My questions are:

1. What is the weight of my car? details in sig (I don't have the manual)

2. Can I tow a braked twin-axle trailer of 1500kgs laden weight on my current licence?

Any help would be appreciated.

Platty  :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Trailer towing advice
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2008, 11:43:08 »

1) To check the published weight go to :

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Summary.aspx?model=985

Choose your car, then click "More Information"

2) With just a "B" licence you can drive

Motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg having not more than eight passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg. Combinations of towing vehicles in category B and a trailer, where the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3500kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle

This is explained more here :

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_10013073

So the answer to 2 is I'm afraid ... it depends ... !!  

If your car is less than 2000 kgs MAM but more than 1500 kgs .... YES
If your car is less than 1500 kgs ....  NO

HTH

platty

• Cambridge
    • BMW 530d Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2008, 12:36:50 »

Thanks Entwood, I am sure I had seen that info before but couldn't find the website, Thanks  :y

So with my Omega weighing in slightly less than the Titanic at 1691kgs, I should be within the law towing 1500kgs - as my total weight will be less than the 3500kg MAM. Hooray!

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2008, 14:42:16 »

I would advise caution on that and seek further advice... Not that I'm disagreeing with Entwood's interpretation... I just don't know!!

I remember reading somewhere about this and it was explained really clearly but I can't for the life of me remember where!!  ::) ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2008, 14:55:39 »

I thought the towin weight limit was 80% of the vehicle's unladen weight....

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2008, 15:27:13 »

I thought the towin weight limit was 80% of the vehicle's unladen weight....

Caravan Club's advise you tow 85% of MAM/gross weight/MPTLM or what ever they call it. You can tow weight for weight for you want.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2008, 15:31:32 »

I would advise caution on that and seek further advice... Not that I'm disagreeing with Entwood's interpretation... I just don't know!!

I remember reading somewhere about this and it was explained really clearly but I can't for the life of me remember where!!  ::) ::)

Not on a Government web site then. ;)

I must admit I thought the towing restrictions were much more onerous than that without a b+e entitlement as it prevents a lot of younger glider pilots from towing glider trailers. I may be wrong though.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

platty

• Cambridge
    • BMW 530d Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2008, 16:36:56 »

I must admit I thought the towing restrictions were much more onerous than that without a b+e entitlement

Agreed, I thought they were more restrictive than they seem. I still haven't managed to get a definitive answer from the horse's mouth yet!

As far as I can read I should be fine as long as my MAM doesn't exceed 3500kgs...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2008, 16:57:52 »

Yes, be careful about the use of MAM and unladen weight though. Unladen weight will be around 1650-1750 depending on model. I reckon (without looking it up) MAM of an Omega is significantly over 2 tonnes.

So, MAM of the trailer can be up to 1650-1750 - not a problem, but the combined MAM of trailer and Omega cannot exceed 3.5 tonnes. Given that the Omega's MAM will be over 2 tonnes I reckon this will put you outside the limits for a 1500 Kg trailer.

However:

1) Does the trailer have a plate listing the weights? If not who's to say what the MAM is?

2) This all seems to be complex enough that you'll get the benefit of the doubt at the roadside if not taking the mickey.

3) Failing that, all they can do is put you on a weighbridge and they'll probably find the combination under 3.5 tonnes provided the Omega is not loaded to the gunnels. Are they really going to argue that you "could" have loaded it up to a weight you're not licenced to drive, although you didn't? Again, you'll probably get the benefit of the doubt.

My Omega's max train weight is over 4 tonnes, and I've towed 1700Kg before so the car will be perfectly happy. It's just the licence that might be an issue.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

platty

• Cambridge
    • BMW 530d Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2008, 19:52:42 »

Yes, be careful about the use of MAM and unladen weight though. Unladen weight will be around 1650-1750 depending on model. I reckon (without looking it up) MAM of an Omega is significantly over 2 tonnes.

So, MAM of the trailer can be up to 1650-1750 - not a problem, but the combined MAM of trailer and Omega cannot exceed 3.5 tonnes. Given that the Omega's MAM will be over 2 tonnes I reckon this will put you outside the limits for a 1500 Kg trailer.

However:

1) Does the trailer have a plate listing the weights? If not who's to say what the MAM is?

2) This all seems to be complex enough that you'll get the benefit of the doubt at the roadside if not taking the mickey.

3) Failing that, all they can do is put you on a weighbridge and they'll probably find the combination under 3.5 tonnes provided the Omega is not loaded to the gunnels. Are they really going to argue that you "could" have loaded it up to a weight you're not licenced to drive, although you didn't? Again, you'll probably get the benefit of the doubt.

My Omega's max train weight is over 4 tonnes, and I've towed 1700Kg before so the car will be perfectly happy. It's just the licence that might be an issue.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I follow you regarding the Unladen Weight vs the MAM of the Omega. What extra does the MAM encompass that the Unladen doesn't? Just fluids and passengers?

I have used 1500kg as the maximum - the trailer only weighs 500kg unladen. I don't think I will be able to get more than a tonne in there - as I'm only moving motorsport rollcages which are bulky and take up alot of space for their weight.

There is a scrapyard where I am setting off from - so the plan is to drop in there and check my MAM before I hit the road. Foolproof (hopefully)  ;)

Thanks for everyones advice, at least I'm not the only one unsure about this!!  :y

Bandit127

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2008, 20:07:45 »

Kevin

Bl**dy hell, 4 tonnes:o

Even with MV6 suspension and fat tyres I woudn't want to be braking that lot in a hurry.

Respect :y

Jim

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2008, 21:14:49 »

Kevin

Bl**dy hell, 4 tonnes:o

Even with MV6 suspension and fat tyres I woudn't want to be braking that lot in a hurry.

Respect :y

Jim
As long as the trailer brakes are up to the mark it shoudn't be a problem
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2008, 21:51:47 »

However:

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I follow you regarding the Unladen Weight vs the MAM of the Omega. What extra does the MAM encompass that the Unladen doesn't? Just fluids and passengers?

I have used 1500kg as the maximum - the trailer only weighs 500kg unladen. I don't think I will be able to get more than a tonne in there - as I'm only moving motorsport rollcages which are bulky and take up alot of space for their weight.

There is a scrapyard where I am setting off from - so the plan is to drop in there and check my MAM before I hit the road. Foolproof (hopefully)  ;)

Thanks for everyones advice, at least I'm not the only one unsure about this!!  :y

You CANNOT Check MAM on a weighbridge ... you can only check your actual weight .. and hopefully you are not exceding the MAM !!

MAM - Maximum Authorised Mass

Its on the VIN plate on the B panel - the police can use this and weighing devices, either portable or a weighbridge, to check your actual  situation. If the trailer is "plated" then they can also use that information.

I'm not sure what happens if the trailer is unplated, as all the trailers/caravans I have towed have been plated .. :(

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2008, 22:25:51 »

However:

Kevin

You CANNOT Check MAM on a weighbridge ... you can only check your actual weight .. and hopefully you are not exceding the MAM !!

MAM - Maximum Authorised Mass

Its on the VIN plate on the B panel - the police can use this and weighing devices, either portable or a weighbridge, to check your actual  situation. If the trailer is "plated" then they can also use that information.

I'm not sure what happens if the trailer is unplated, as all the trailers/caravans I have towed have been plated .. :(

I believe all trailers / caravans are plated, the problem is home made trailers, though iirc the axels dictate the payload / gross weight.
50s style home made trailers using cart axels / leaf springs from an old Ford or similar are not legal thesedays. :)

Not sure about all the new laws, I can drive anything, but is it not down to an overall gross weight.

platty

• Cambridge
    • BMW 530d Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 May 2008, 09:16:33 »

Right, I have taken a photo of my chassis plate:

My trailer is unplated, but the axles are marked up as being 500kgs each (2x axles) so I could rough the MAM at 1000kgs - ish?

From the plate I read that the MAM is 2245kgs (?) and the maximum train weight is 3845kgs (?) meaning the max I can tow is 1600kgs (?).

So as long as my trailers MAM is under 1255kgs (3500 - 2245) I should be ok?

Sorry if I come across as an amateur but this is all new to me!  :y
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.