Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: time for a change  (Read 8841 times)

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
Re: time for a change
« Reply #60 on: 01 July 2013, 15:12:08 »

Well,  once again, the "stop me getting a new car" gremlin has been at work.... contacted the CDTi seller,  someone beat me to it ,  been the same story with 4 other cars since friday.

break , 

maybe a V70 is about all that's left .... 

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

chrisgixer

« Reply #61 on: 01 July 2013, 17:37:41 »

I'm getting to the point of being leery about spending the value of the vehicle on the vehicle to keep it on the road for how long?

bear in mind i'm not terribly car DIY handy....  mostly coz it hurts my back and neck badly....     so i pay people to do it....    it's marginally  cheaper than being incapacitated....       thus any job at all basically means money.....

the mv6 has 156k on it,   and my next couple of months ,  if i stick with it ,  will take it to 165k .

body work is pretty good,   all the electrical bits are fine...  ,  but needs

Aux drive belt. (+ anything?)
new lambda sensors , especially passenger side (heater circuit open circuit)
cam belt due in 5k. (and the water pump, for good measure)
crank sensor leaking oil , so new crank sensor...   
near rear tyres (tread wear , )
air con regas again , suspect seals gone ,  and besides,  compressor bearing unbearably noisy.
brake wear sensors.
suspension set up , still not all that happy with it's leftwards tendency after last years new suspension....)
rear TA bushes

+ oil change , service.....     etc....   , 

all in one hit , that's gonna cost me a grand....   if i'm lucky....

if i'm forking out that much,....   there's an element of thinking i may as well spend a bit more, get something with less miles on and newer....   

I'll concede the mileage, although we know they will go on and on. If TB can get 200k out of his mv6 by raging the tats off it everywhere I'm sure the rest of us can.

Fixing the car will save you £1500 sobs, and there is nothing at all to say the new car won't need all that lot doing anyway.

Seems to me anyway.

I don't subscribe to the value of the car to a buyer, its the value to the owner that's important. And as your finding, you've already bought the right car, so replacing it is going to be a disappointment. Discount the tyre and service items theres not much more to do with yours.

Stick with the car you know, in my humble opinion of course. :)

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 01 July 2013, 19:31:38 »

^^^^^^^^ +1 as above :y
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 08 July 2013, 11:50:35 »

Well,    the old girl is listed in the for sale section..... 

and her successor is very very nice......   ;)   i needed a vehicle fairly immediately at the end of last week.....   so..... went and bought something....   i'll let you deduce what,  let's just say it's very pretty, has lots of toys,  is really very comfy, drives superbly, has a warranty,  and is not suffering from any of the well known faults the model is cursed with , (yet! , touch wood) .....

keen eyed members will spot it in the omega photos for the sale ad... 

i'd be tempted to keep the mv6 as well  if the insurance wasn't going to crucify me....   but my second car NCD is already in use on a corsa for my son to learn to drive in...

and i don't much feel like funding a 3rd world country's national debt for an Mv6 insurance with zero NCD>...    and don;t say Admiral.....   bunch of tossers been there, done that will never ever use that group of companies again... ever....   

omega3000

« Reply #64 on: 08 July 2013, 15:40:35 »

An E type  :-\ ::)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 08 July 2013, 15:45:46 »

An E type  :-\ ::)

Looks like an x type estate  :-\ also see a Astra in the picture. Bet it's the Jaguar though  ;)

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 08 July 2013, 17:05:03 »

Astra is the daughter's jalopy.....  pile of pooh  that it is

:y

I admit it,   did go get a 2.5 X-type, despite the warnings.....  really really REALLY tried to find a 2.2 diesel one in budget without intergalactic miles, ,  but no luck,  so , next time maybe,       no whine form transfer box, not rot in sills, 99k miles, with service history,  all electrics functional ,  6 month warranty,  6 months tax, 12 months mot,   53 plate , registered early 04,     

Air con is ice cold,  it's fully loaded with the satnav and phone and so on.... 
  drives lovely....   different from the Mv6,  but quick and precise enough to enjoy, but uses a fair bit less jungle juice doing it....

Colwyn Bay to Berinsfield,  not on the motorway,  (CB>Chester>wrexham>oswestry>shrewsbury> bridgnorth>kidderminster>bromsgrove>M42/m40/a34/a4074 )  smidge under 3 hours,   and a smidge under  30 litres of fuel...  , which is 10-12 litres less than the Mv6 used....  so i'm happy.... 

it's rather pretty.....   is all i have to say in my defence...

« Last Edit: 08 July 2013, 17:12:32 by MaxV6 »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 08 July 2013, 17:16:09 »

Hope it serves you well Max  :y

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 08 July 2013, 17:42:06 »

me too mate.....     ;)   wifey will not be impressed otherwise....

here she is.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16491186@N03/sets/72157634544545537/

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 08 July 2013, 17:44:36 »

me too mate.....     ;)   wifey will not be impressed otherwise....

here she is.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16491186@N03/sets/72157634544545537/

That looks very nice Max,good luck with it :y :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 08 July 2013, 17:50:50 »

I also looked at 5 series, Veccie CDTIv6 , and the V70 ,

this was the 8th car on my shortlist,   everything sold through VERY fast....   

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 08 July 2013, 18:06:41 »

if i was to remain my usual mental self,  and ignored the fuel economy ,  how do we feel about the 3.2 in the vectra???
Absolute hoot for a quick blat, but I couldn't live with one. The chassis simply cannot handle that amount of power, even with premium front tyres.

The other issue I had (only driven 2 (different) GSi's, never an Elite) is the suspension is non existent. A real back breaker, even over short distances. Guess thats the price you have to pay for putting that amount of power into a poor chassis :(
Grumpy old man

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 09 July 2013, 00:47:25 »

tried a 2.8T elite.... familiar territory for equipment,  knew what everything did, and how to use it all,   but  hated it..... like being dragged about by a jack russell on a tiled floor chasing a cat....  ,   and felt every little bump in the road like it was a personal assault on my spine.    but decided i probably would have learned to live with the 3.0CDTI Elite for the fuel cost savings...if i could find one.....   at the right price,  without having been to the moon and back....   ....   

learning how stuff works in the jag is a STEEP learning curve....     haven't as yet put it through the voice control training....  (yes it's fitted !) but the sat nav is okay,  as is the phone,   but i'm still looking for a way to get my contacts list (iphone,  so a bit of a bugger)  on to the sim card to transfer it  (the nav/stereo apparently  just predates the bluetooth version....   i can get the module etc and retrofit, but it's about £500 secondhand (with aerial module etc) ....  it's about as rare as hens teeth , bit like  a teletronics. )

there's a few little niggles,  as would be expected,  right hand side luggage cover clip is broken,  but found a replacement for about 3 quid....   ,  it's missing it's tool kit,  but at least it has a jack !     a few bubbles of corrosion on window trims (will be replaceable i think) , but none on the body work...     brake disks are okay, but a bit thin , so will replace them in the not massively distant future... but masses of meat on the pads....   

stupid bloody space saver spare.....    haven;t measured up yet,  but pretty damn sure i won;t get an 18x7.5  inch full size spare wearing 225/40  in there..... 

it was also missing the locking wheel nut key..... ARGHHHH

went to Jag.....     they charged me.......  get this....    £9.71 inc vat to remove the locking wheel nuts,  supply and fit 4 new std ones,   and gave me posh tea and biscuits while i waited.    (and will order me a new set of locking ones as they cannot supply the new key,  apparently the manufacturer doesn't allow it....   to be fair it's a type i've never seen before...  ....so i don;t know the score,  i've had replacement keys from other manufacturers in the past,  but frankly the cost  was about the same as Jag talked about for the whole set. ITRO £65 )

and the price of a full  main service.....  ?   all fluids and filters etc etc.....    £299 inc vat.     
that's £80 LESS than i was quoted by VX main stealer recently on the omega.

Minor service is £199.   which doesn't seem so great....

one irritation is the speedo, it's all there, and works etc,  but the small diameter means it's all a bit squashed up, there's not a helluva lot of distance between the 10's ,   trying to drive in a 30 limit is somewhat variable .....   mostly because i'm damned if i can tell if i'm doing 28 or 32.

Stereo sounds WAY BETTER  than the omega .....

;)  which is nice for me.... I was happy with Bose rig,  but the bog std NCDC was a bit pants....    but this is much nicer than the Bose rig, never mind the std NCDC.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 09 July 2013, 09:15:29 »

Jag are quite good on Service costs, let us know how you get on Max, as a XJ TDVi is on my list for potential replacements  :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 17 queries.