Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre choice for the Omega  (Read 30571 times)

chrisgixer

Re: Tyre choice for the Omega
« Reply #150 on: 07 August 2013, 23:05:07 »

In the case of Gixer's Falkens (can't remember if they were 452 or 912), I have a theory that they were overdriven, which caused something to happen to them.

We might be getting somewhere there.. Might also apply to SC5s? .. although they were sh1te from day 1 with no hard driving?  None at all?  ;)

You overheat them once or twice, either the surface rubber hardens permanently, or something in the tyre structure weakens, leading to a tyre that will never perform well. Other tyres handle the heat better, don't get as hot under the same conditions, or dissipate the heat better. SC5 are a fuel economy tyre, IIRC, which probably means less surface area on the road, so the rubber is stressed further, and has less surface to transfer heat to the road.

Smaller car simply can't get enough heat into the tyres?

I can't believe that there's something inherent in the Omega's chassis that makes the tyres perform quite as badly as you describe. Maybe they'd be better in a car with double wishbones, with less weight? My money is on them being sh1te full stop, engineered to get good EU ratings, or damaged by to6 much car.

It's irrelevant, because who, having read your accounts, would risk fitting SC5s to any car, given their cost?
Falkens where a tram lining tyre from new. As opposed to a bad handling tyre, which they later became.

Falkens are the danger though, given their more reachable price range.

I had 451/452/912. Yes, I couldn't believer the tyres could cause the problem either, at one stage. If you want to find out what makes a car Handel badly, and then Handel well trying to fix it, buy an Elite with worn out suspension/bushes/and FALKEN tyres...

...its becomes apparent what affects the car. ...and what doesn't.

chrisgixer

« Reply #151 on: 07 August 2013, 23:07:56 »

So you read the tests. Then based on the results, supply tyres to your friends. And assuming they don't openly complain in the face of this generosity,  you then consider a tyre to be worthy of recommendation.

Unless of course, I have missed something :-\

my friends pay money for those tyres.. if they face a problem that will reflect to me sooner or later.. remember I didnt start helping people yesterday ;)

Until you've had problems you've learned nothing, Cem.

Time and time again, still no acceptance of the problem. Although... Your not the first, it is difficult to believe.

I had problems ..  and mostly with the geometry centers.. rarely the car .. and never with the tyres..  but I must confess I never accept something cheaper than  kumho..

Could you list the ones you have tried? :)

what ?  ???

you expect me to list the all tyres that I have purchased till midnight.. ;D for what ?

Its an "omega" forum cem. So, contributing to first hand experience on tyres on your omega is useful. Apart from eagle f1, and Bridgestone potenza oo1, I don't recall any others on yours...? :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 07 August 2013, 23:08:13 »

By the way Al you didnt tell us the test order for your Enduro!
Of the budget and mid range tyres on the list at the beginning of this thread, the Runway Enduro is one of the best by all accounts. Those accounts being, dbug, Taxi Al, and later Kevin Wood, and briefly early on myself.

I probably shouldn't mention "myself" in that list as it will be red rag to a bull and opposed to score points, no doubt with no experience again. ::)

ok then .. let me tell .. 40 th ;D
You might laugh. Have you tried them on an Omega?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

chrisgixer

« Reply #153 on: 07 August 2013, 23:08:47 »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #154 on: 07 August 2013, 23:10:58 »

Of the budget and mid range tyres on the list at the beginning of this thread, the Runway Enduro is one of the best by all accounts. Those accounts being, dbug, Taxi Al, and later Kevin Wood, and briefly early on myself.

I probably shouldn't mention "myself" in that list as it will be red rag to a bull and opposed to score points, no doubt with no experience again. ::)

honestly, I wouldnt purchase a 40 th order tyre.. :-\

even if its recommended

chrisgixer

« Reply #155 on: 07 August 2013, 23:11:33 »

And the ones you have purchased?

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 07 August 2013, 23:12:04 »

Alright, so not exactly tyre related as such because I know (as everyone doe)s that Tyres DO affect handling ability, but...........

With all this apparent expertise in vehicle handling, I cannot for one second believe anyone would remotely suggest that any Omega handles well.  ;D

OK, the MV6 is pick of the bunch, but even that is absolutely terrible in comparison to other cars in the class.

I've been on cross-channel ferries which have better handling characteristics than an Omega.  >:(

Thanks for reading,

Broomies Mate, on 4th Omega, and absolutely love them, even though they handle like shit (no matter what boots are fitted).  :)
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

martin42

« Reply #157 on: 07 August 2013, 23:12:16 »

Just popping to asda,need a crate of popcorn for this thread

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #158 on: 07 August 2013, 23:14:15 »

never less than a top 10..

martin42

« Reply #159 on: 07 August 2013, 23:14:27 »

Maybe it's because you don't know how to drive a proper rwd car and been brought up on fwd which drive totally different

That's my input done  ;D

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 07 August 2013, 23:15:45 »

page 10  ::)

Far canal  ::),I'm sure we've been here before  :-X

Unfortunately we have many a time Henry.  ::) ::) ;D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 07 August 2013, 23:16:55 »

Personally, I've found the compiled list by Chris and other members very useful and will be fitting a set of tyres from those recommended when I replace them. At the moment the car is fitted with Avons, which I found fine with good wet weather grip, but they do wear out very quickly.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

chrisgixer

« Reply #162 on: 07 August 2013, 23:17:18 »

Alright, so not exactly tyre related as such because I know (as everyone doe)s that Tyres DO affect handling ability, but...........

With all this apparent expertise in vehicle handling, I cannot for one second believe anyone would remotely suggest that any Omega handles well.  ;D

OK, the MV6 is pick of the bunch, but even that is absolutely terrible in comparison to other cars in the class.

I've been on cross-channel ferries which have better handling characteristics than an Omega.  >:(

Thanks for reading,

Broomies Mate, on 4th Omega, and absolutely love them, even though they handle like shit (no matter what boots are fitted).  :)

No no, think of it as the complete opposite. The most basic, fit for purpose, simple thing you might expect of a tyre. Going in a straight line. No power, sat in traffic, following the car in front at 30/20mph. No steering input other than correction. Yet the car is all over the place.

Handling is a bit misleading to be fair as it implies wangling around. No, its the complete opposite. If you rolled the car down a hill in a straight line with nobody in it, the car would vear off and crash.

chrisgixer

« Reply #163 on: 07 August 2013, 23:19:19 »

Personally, I've found the compiled list by Chris and other members very useful and will be fitting a set of tyres from those recommended when I replace them. At the moment the car is fitted with Avons, which I found fine with good wet weather grip, but they do wear out very quickly.

That's what was intended Rods. Good to hear. :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #164 on: 07 August 2013, 23:20:21 »

never less than a top 10..

Ok good. Which ones? I grow more intrigued by the minute. :y
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.