Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Some things are much less fun alone..  (Read 2032 times)

aaronjb

Re: Some things are much less fun alone..
« Reply #15 on: 01 September 2013, 21:24:43 »

I think I managed to pull the shock out of its lower rubber support thing, leaving the "bolt" still attached to the wheel hub.  ;D

The first one came out once I went outside and wiggled it some more (no longer worried I'd broken something as the bottom metal part that I thought stayed in the hub was wobbling)..

Then moved on to the second one which did exactly what you showed in that picture - the shock came off the rubber bush affair. An hour or two of hammering, prying, torching, plusgassing, hammering, prying, jacking, levering, wobbling and it finally came out.. I think you may need to update the maintenance guide with some extra tools - here's all the tools I used just to get that bush out:

From left to right: Very knackered shock, less knackered shock, MAPP gas, Rothenberger torch, mole grips (still attached to bush), bottle jack, wire brush(es), big clobbering screwdriver, small pick, pry bar, dead blow mallet and windy gun.. ;D

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 September 2013, 21:25:25 »

Did mine today on my mfl estate.

As said, an airgun helps a lot on the bolts.

I found that simply undoing the top nut, compressing the shock absorber down and twisting it to the horizontal position worked. A bit on synthetic lube through the bolt hole and then wiggle the shock absorber sideways freed the joint nicely. Upon refitting, a good smear of copper grease around the outside of the insert before assembly should make any further dismantling easier.

I fitted a set of original GM shocks, but initially purchased a set of KYB ones. Went to fit them and found that the insert was thinner than the originals, so "rattled" in the knuckle without the bolt in, possibly causing damage later on when it damages the fixing bolt or knuckle. GM ones, perfect fit. The instructions on the KYB ones list for Carlton and Omega, though, so I suspect a problem there.

Silly thing is that the GM ones on Trade Club were only £1+vat each dearer than the trade price on the KYB ones.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 September 2013, 21:30:47 »

Not a bad day here overall, Just been for a 200 mile cruise listening to the lovely sound of "rattling door pins"  and there's something else making a noise somewhere else like an air vent again or something, The joys of Omega ownership eh ::) ;D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 September 2013, 22:14:50 »

I think I managed to pull the shock out of its lower rubber support thing, leaving the "bolt" still attached to the wheel hub.  ;D

The first one came out once I went outside and wiggled it some more (no longer worried I'd broken something as the bottom metal part that I thought stayed in the hub was wobbling)..

Then moved on to the second one which did exactly what you showed in that picture - the shock came off the rubber bush affair. An hour or two of hammering, prying, torching, plusgassing, hammering, prying, jacking, levering, wobbling and it finally came out.. I think you may need to update the maintenance guide with some extra tools - here's all the tools I used just to get that bush out:

From left to right: Very knackered shock, less knackered shock, MAPP gas, Rothenberger torch, mole grips (still attached to bush), bottle jack, wire brush(es), big clobbering screwdriver, small pick, pry bar, dead blow mallet and windy gun.. ;D

I can see immediately what your problem was Aaron. Your pry bar was too short and hammer too small. After soaking the joint with penetrating oil and getting nowhere treating it gently, I found using a pry bar about twice that length, and while the Mrs tensioned it, I used Sammy, to show it who was boss and it behaved according, by popping out of the suspension socket.  :y :y :y :y I did use some copper slip on assembly, so hopefully it will be easier next time.  ::) ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

aaronjb

« Reply #19 on: 02 September 2013, 08:36:13 »

I dislike using the lump hammer on the car generally - in this case I was worried that I might end up cracking or somehow damaging the rear hub carrier.. the dangly bit that the shock attaches to looked awfully vulnerable.

Probably worrying without reason.. still, as soon as I was able to rotate the rubber bush in the hub carrier socket it started to come free :y

I do feel like I spent an hour at the gym now, though.. ;D

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #20 on: 02 September 2013, 12:29:02 »

Yeah, I can think of something particular that is far less fun when alone, but that is for another thread! :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)
Miss Zoom, get you mind back on track, you filthy girl :o

Then give me you phone number ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)

omega3000

« Reply #21 on: 02 September 2013, 12:41:02 »

Not a bad day here overall, Just been for a 200 mile cruise listening to the lovely sound of "rattling door pins"  and there's something else making a noise somewhere else like an air vent again or something, The joys of Omega ownership eh ::) ;D

Your hearing things  ::)  ;D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 September 2013, 18:16:50 »

I dislike using the lump hammer on the car generally - in this case I was worried that I might end up cracking or somehow damaging the rear hub carrier.. the dangly bit that the shock attaches to looked awfully vulnerable.

Probably worrying without reason.. still, as soon as I was able to rotate the rubber bush in the hub carrier socket it started to come free :y

I do feel like I spent an hour at the gym now, though.. ;D

I started off thinking like that and made no progress and came to the conclusion that with the pry bar contact areas on the hub and shock absorber that in reality you are infact getting very little leverage and hence the problem of trying to remove the shock absorber. When going over rough surfaces and potholes to forces on the suspension must be considerable.

I know somebody that bent bolt that was about 18mm diameter on a Rover 800's front suspension on a pothole at speed, but that was the only damage to the suspension.  :o :o :o :o
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 September 2013, 18:41:47 »

Your hearing things  ::)  ;D

If so, Isn't that the fist sign of madness  ;D

Sure I've come across a guide on how to fix rattling door pins on the FL somewhere. ? 
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 17 queries.