Welcome to OOF

Poll

Fix, break or scrap

Fix
Break
Scrap
Sell it

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Fix, break or scrap?  (Read 7261 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Fix, break or scrap?
« Reply #15 on: 16 September 2013, 19:19:22 »

All depends what you want to replace it with, IMHO. There isn't a newer car that does everything the Omega does, so what can you compromise on?

Faults can be fixed in an afternoon with a few hands on deck if the will's there. (ok, I'm going to exclude that oil leak)  ::)

But... It's long in the tooth, so the chances of it needing a few tweaks before you're back up and running with tools and garage will be high.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 16 September 2013, 19:37:41 »

That oil leak is only the pump... but either way drop a fresh lump in if all else fails ::)

chrisgixer

« Reply #17 on: 16 September 2013, 19:40:57 »

That oil leak is only the pump... but either way drop a fresh lump in if all else fails ::)

It can be made to go on forever, with enough effort.

Its the effort that's the problem, as we know ;D ;)

...isn't it TB ? :P

chrisgixer

« Reply #18 on: 16 September 2013, 19:41:31 »

From the ashes, could rise something special. ;)

Big_Al

« Reply #19 on: 16 September 2013, 19:43:59 »

Nice V plate MFL MV6 on autotrader TB  . . looks clean  . . .bit overpriced at £799 but it is a dealer  . .

go on  . . .have a look . . . you know you want to  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Edit;  sorry should have said "Superior  MFL MV6"  ;) ;)
« Last Edit: 16 September 2013, 19:47:36 by Essex Big Al »

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 September 2013, 19:46:36 »

get a load of oreos and organize a load of OOfer's to come around with tools--wouldn't take long to sort them little problems out-----well that's what I reckon--just dont forget oreo's :y :y
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

05omegav6

« Reply #21 on: 16 September 2013, 19:47:59 »

Another reason not to go down the 'Buy another Omega and make it your own' route is that it doesn't always work... TBE being a case in point :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #22 on: 16 September 2013, 19:51:50 »

Another reason not to go down the 'Buy another Omega and make it your own' route is that it doesn't always work... TBE being a case in point :-\

Nah, that's sc5's and a lazy owner ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 September 2013, 19:55:36 »

It can be made to go on forever, with enough effort.

Its the effort that's the problem, as we know ;D ;)

...isn't it TB ? :P
I enjoy fettling. Thats probably why the car has gone on so well, and for (relatively) low cost.

There are some jobs, that no matter how many times I do them, I just can't do them properly. Wishbones and handbrakes spring immediately to mind ;D. Bodywork is the big killer, I woudn't know where to start, and I'm not sure I want to learn.

For me, I've really enjoyed the tinkering I've done, helped in the knowledge that I have OOF for help and advice for when things don't go to plan, and for that I am eternally grateful to OOFers, they are a unique bunch, based on my experience of other car forums :y.

I've certainly struggled with jobs needing strength following the demise of Mrs TB's Rover, hence I've taken up doing a lot of walking this year, just to try and gently increase my general fitness levels. Its shocking how muscles waste, not that I was Mr Strongman to start with  :-[.  Even cranking the Bullet's engine over by hand at Newent has needed several days of recovery  :-[
Grumpy old man

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 September 2013, 19:55:54 »

take it off the road, strip it,rebuild it with new or almost perfect used parts, have it painted,ergo new car with known history,while doing this pick up a lowish mileage rover 25, for tootling around in!! :y problem sorted ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 September 2013, 19:59:39 »

Indeed, I've never managed to get that quite "right". Yeah, as chrisgixer says, the SC5s were a massive setback that financially I couldn't rectify as quickly as I wanted to. But they are not the only problem - although now there is nothing "wrong", I can't gel with it. Goes well enough, stops well enough, turns well enough, its pretty comfortable. There is nothing wrong with it, but I just don't love it  :-\
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 September 2013, 20:00:14 »

take it off the road, strip it,rebuild it with new or almost perfect used parts, have it painted,ergo new car with known history,while doing this pick up a lowish mileage rover 25, for tootling around in!! :y problem sorted ;D
Desperately need 2 cars currently, so thats not a viable option currently
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 September 2013, 20:06:37 »

Desperately need 2 cars currently, so thats not a viable option currently
I sympathise, as you know the story is similar here, I've nearly got three cars how I want them but I know as soon as i'm happy with the 2.6 one of the others will probably go bang!

But...... Better off with a car you know than one you don't

omega3000

« Reply #28 on: 16 September 2013, 20:09:27 »

get a load of oreos and organize a load of OOfer's to come around with tools--wouldn't take long to sort them little problems out-----well that's what I reckon--just dont forget oreo's :y :y

And coffee  :P

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 September 2013, 20:16:44 »

C'mon TB get them oreo's and coffee--reckon a lot would turn up to help :y :y :y :y :y :y :y
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.