Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Signum - How does it compare to an Omega Estate?  (Read 5419 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Signum - How does it compare to an Omega Estate?
« Reply #15 on: 16 September 2013, 22:42:41 »

Are they a 4 or 5 seat car? Auto traders says 5, Clarkson says 4 but photos seem to suggest an option with the rear middle..... :-\ :-\

Autotrader details are only as good as the half wit that puts the advert together  ;) ;)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 September 2013, 22:51:45 »

Are they a 4 or 5 seat car? Auto traders says 5, Clarkson says 4 but photos seem to suggest an option with the rear middle..... :-\ :-\

Autotrader details are only as good as the half wit that puts the advert together  ;) ;)

Is that code for you don't know........ :D :D :P

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 September 2013, 23:04:04 »

Did you watch the video?  ::) In the middle of the base model'' you get a sort of drinks tray, an arm rest or nothing at all'' and ''in the more expensive models ........ you get a fridge & a DVD player''  :y :y
Although in the video it does look like a seat in the middle  ;)

chrisgixer

« Reply #18 on: 16 September 2013, 23:10:05 »

Vectra. Begins with S ends in t and it isn't soot. :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=acUuvnuycMw

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 September 2013, 23:23:47 »

Did you watch the video?  ::) In the middle of the base model'' you get a sort of drinks tray, an arm rest or nothing at all'' and ''in the more expensive models ........ you get a fridge & a DVD player''  :y :y
Although in the video it does look like a seat in the middle ;)

And in many photos of other cars, thinking a child / temp seat......... :-\ :-\  Not a problem, and given the price seems a pretty good car, if you don't want to rag it around.... ::) ::)  Love my Jeep but could do with reducing my fuel spending, a little tempted by a Vectra 1.9 diesel auto at the moment, that I have been watching in a garage where I would get a good PX......... :-\ :-\

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 September 2013, 23:26:11 »

I have fond memories of a couple of Astra hatches I drove 20 years ago. They had more headroom in the back, and could carry larger loads (eg fridges or washing machines), than the Cavalier hatches that more senior staff drove.

The two I had were quiet and economical. I just wanted more power and more brakes.....

Does anyone have any knowledge of the engines and gearboxes? From what I have read henryd seems to have picked the optimum combination (Isuzu 3.0 V6 diesel, 6 speed auto, elite trim) but there are other intriguing options (2.0 petrol turbo and 2.8 petrol V6 turbo for example)

Mine is 5 speed auto but they did a 6speed as well :y,mine does low thirties. To the gallon locally and around forty on a run,never driven ahem sensibly on a run to see what it could do though :-\
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 September 2013, 23:30:47 »

Mine has the “travel assistant ”,fridge,tables and dvd player stand,it does come out and leaves either a tray and cup holders or an excuse for seat(child only and not for very far) :y
other rides 

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 September 2013, 23:34:57 »

Mine has the “travel assistant ”,fridge,tables and dvd player stand,it does come out and leaves either a tray and cup holders or an excuse for seat(child only and not for very far) :y

Thanks....... :y :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 September 2013, 23:37:22 »

or an excuse for seat(child only and not for very far) :y

is there a seat belt for the middle seat then?

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 September 2013, 23:39:38 »

Yep proper inertia belt,retracts into the roof when not in use
other rides 

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 September 2013, 23:41:54 »

Trouble with any car ad is that the dealers either don't look into the car at all, or just tick all the option boxes that might go on a model. A few years back I went to see a few Astras that were advertised as having ABS, but when you went to see it, they didn't. The dealers blamed Autotrader. And how many cars do you see advertised as having a heated windscreen? In fact the button they're looking at is the front screen demist  ::) ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 September 2013, 23:42:28 »

A proper 5 seater then

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 September 2013, 23:47:27 »

A proper 5 seater then

Technically yes,but the seat is narrow and frankly shite :-X
other rides 

P_Russell

• Rushden, Northants
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 September 2013, 13:48:45 »

I've got a facelift 1.9CDTi Signum Elite and think it's great as a family motor.  2 very comfortable kids in the back - proper reclining seats (instead of the traditional 'bench' approach) and they slide back and forth.  If you occasionally need to move a 5th person around one of the kids are quite happy in the centre seat with it's proper 3 point belt - officially it has a 75kg limit, and it sits high so not really suitable for an adult.

Boot space is good because you can slide the back seats forward - so you either have a cavernous back seat space and a good size boot, or a masive boot and less back seat leg room.  Not many hatches around that offer that flexibility.  I don't have the travel assistant thing but they pop up regular on ebay for £50.  Mine does have sat nav, auto lights/wipers etc.  On a run I get about 45-50mpg.

It's not as well built as an omega (what vauxhall is these days?) and it has it's issues but I've been pleased with mine. 
If it's stuck, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway........

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 October 2013, 15:30:09 »

Signum is 5" shorter than a Vectra C estate. They are exactly the same to the back of the rear doors, but the Signum has a smaller bum.

Ive had my 3.2V6 for over 4 years now its a fully loaded Elite - NCDC 2015, CID & telematics, HIDs, full heated leather, electric folding mirrors, front and rear parking sensors, TPMS, auto dimming mirrors, travel assistant, dual circuit climate control and sun roof so no celery holder, etc etc blah blah blah.

Later ones have AFL and after mid 2004 are full CAN so have the 'CD' prefix stereos but alot of the bits found in mine became optional extras.

The 2.8 V6 turbos are only 230bhp not the 255 or 280 found in the VXR and some were built before the £500 RFL date, so can be taxed for £280 and there was NEVER a VXR Signum

Its built every bit as well as an Omega - this was bought to replace my prefacelift 3ltr MV6, still got my 2.5V6 facelift saloon, but a few hours ago just bought a 3.2V6 02 plate estate, which will replace the saloon, so can compare like for like if anyone wants.

As for space I do know for a fact with the rear seats folded down in the Signum you can fit a full set of leather seats and door cards from an Omega saloon in it without too much bother.

You can nearly get the same amount of stuff in an Omega saloon boot as you can in the signum with the seats right back. Seats do slide a bit and recline BUT the middle one doesn't slide and its only really a child sized seat, but as said above does come with a proper belt not a lap strap. It does flip over to give you the drinks tray or seat, mine has the travel assistant, as i very rarely have 1 passenger in it let alone 4 its not a problem. TA does pop out in few seconds if needed

The 3.2V6 Signum is definately quicker off the mark than the 3.2 Omega even though it has a few less BHP  :-\.

Biggest issue is the auto box on early ones, they are an Aisin-Warner 5 speed 'triptronic' box, they suffer from dodgey heat exchanger seals and as the heat exchanger is in the main rad you end up with water in the box that kills it - Replacements go from £1500 for a rebuild to £2500 for replacement IF you can find one! Search AF33 gearbox problems and it will throw up all sorts of horror stories!

Apart from that it suffers from usual Vxl broken spring drop link crap damper problems. Diesels suffer from same issues as every other Vxl diesel.

There are also oddities with the way they are wired up, mine has TC/ESP but no on/ off switch or wiring for it in the dash, where other cars have no TC/ ESP but have the wires or have TC/ESP, have the wires behind the dash but no switch - some just plug and play with a switch, some need TECH2, same thing goes for TPMS & park pilot - But guess thats down to the Germans who built all of them being 'quirky'

Oh and I did the cam cover gaskets on the Signum in under half the time it takes to do on the Omega, oddly with the engine round the wrong way there is a shed load more room!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.