Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Heads Up - Halfords 5 Piece Lifting Kit 2 Tonne, 30% Off - £49.99  (Read 2156 times)

chrisgixer

Re: Heads Up - Halfords 5 Piece Lifting Kit 2 Tonne, 30% Off - £49.99
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2013, 14:02:50 »

Excess strain on the jack is partly due to the hardness and smoothness of ones driveway. If Tarmac the jack will dig in, or rough and the wheels won't roll under as the jack lifts, so due to the radius of the lifting arm the rear of the jack will lift unless the car is pulled over with the radius of the arm as it lifts. This places massive strain on the jack and I've seen the two tun jobs literally fold up under an omega.

The bigger 2.5 ton and above jacks have wider wheels and a much stronger chassis. (Although avoid the trigger happy sealey jacks, they are bloody lethal. Ime. Zero control when lowering the car)
I have a 3 tonne Sealey jack, bloody thing, lifts beautifully but has a sloppy gear arrangement between the handle and the release valve which makes control difficult
Do you also find the cogs in the release mechanism don't engage when the handle is low, while the jack is lowering the dif for a spring change for instance?

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 October 2013, 14:17:10 »

Excess strain on the jack is partly due to the hardness and smoothness of ones driveway. If Tarmac the jack will dig in, or rough and the wheels won't roll under as the jack lifts, so due to the radius of the lifting arm the rear of the jack will lift unless the car is pulled over with the radius of the arm as it lifts. This places massive strain on the jack and I've seen the two tun jobs literally fold up under an omega.

The bigger 2.5 ton and above jacks have wider wheels and a much stronger chassis. (Although avoid the trigger happy sealey jacks, they are bloody lethal. Ime. Zero control when lowering the car)
I have a 3 tonne Sealey jack, bloody thing, lifts beautifully but has a sloppy gear arrangement between the handle and the release valve which makes control difficult
Do you also find the cogs in the release mechanism don't engage when the handle is low, while the jack is lowering the dif for a spring change for instance?
The gears engage well (they appear to be perfectly aligned over the full travel of the handle) the issue is that they have big teeth with a lot of lash (I think that is the right word  :-\)  and the handle is able to slide from side to side which introduces more free play. The release valve seems to need a bit of force to start to open it but it turns freely afterwards.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 October 2013, 17:09:12 »

(Although avoid the trigger happy sealey jacks, they are bloody lethal. Ime. Zero control when lowering the car)
Poor workman and blaming tools ;D

They do take some getting used to, but are fine once you get used to them ;).  Better jacks available for similar money on the rare occasions Costco sell decent jacks  >:(
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 October 2013, 17:10:26 »

For all its other quirks, I don't recall that being an issue with mine...
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #19 on: 14 October 2013, 18:20:55 »

Cogs no, on yours. Trigger happy, defo.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 October 2013, 19:01:21 »

Cogs no, on yours. Trigger happy, defo.
Its for people keen to get on. ie, quick.

;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 October 2013, 19:01:37 »

Its = Was, obviously.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.