Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: All back together and still squeaking. Interesting pics of findings...  (Read 3033 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile

Hi guys,

Ok, well got home from school today and checked over the timing belt. There's no missing teeth and belt looks good except for the following things:

This is the part of the belt that looks fine and has rubber all round...
~

This is the part where the red chord seems to be coming through...

Is this normal?

I looked on my old belt and that has exactly the same (some bits showing red cord, some not) but that belt was 4 years old when removed.

Finally re the squeaking..... I note that some of the lettering on the belt saying ''CONTITECH'' is still there and some disappearing from wear.

So really my questions are these:

1.) is that chord coming through normal?
2.) we reckon this squealing is the paint?
3.) can I drive it?

Cheers boys  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile

If the belt was rubbing you would have rubber dust and debris present,also where the belt had rubbed would be quite shiney as would whatever it had been rubbing against,can't see from your pics if it is rubbing or not ???
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile

Thanks Henryd.

Belt looks absolutely fine apart from the chord showing.  :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile

Thanks Henryd.

And no fresh rubber dust or debris?,chords in belts are often visible at the side so shouldn't be an issue

still doesn't explain your squeak though ::)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile

Sorry not been following this, what squeeking? Is it present when rotating crank by hand?

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile

Thanks Henryd.

And no fresh rubber dust or debris?,chords in belts are often visible at the side so shouldn't be an issue

I'm going to be honest that's difficult to say. When the cambelt shredded in August it decided to leave an explosion of debris everywhere. I of course cleaned most of it up but there was sooo much that inevitably I didn't get it all.

this time though I've cleaned everything (not the belt or pulleys obviously) with brake cleaner and removed as much debris as possible. only real place there was build up was the water pump and a pool of crap under the crank pulley but I think that was from last time as i specifically remember only being concerned about the pulleys themselves.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile

Sorry not been following this, what squeeking? Is it present when rotating crank by hand?

timing belt squeaking mate. verified by me removing the aux belt and running car. I stripped it right down and only areas of concern I noticed were the grease from the pullies (which we now know is nowt to worry about) and this cord showing.

the only other possible explanation is I have heard the paint for the lettering on the belt is thick and thus will squeak til it wears down. but obviously even if that is the case its still disconcerting  :'(
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile

oh and no its not present when rotating by hand  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile

Humm, does sound like tensioner. Do you have locking kit? Take tensioner off and spin by hand? On one of cambelt changes on my 2.2 resulted in a dud tensioner, within few k it was squeaking badly.

chrisgixer

Red cord is normal. From looking at construction I'm guessing belts are made from big tubes cut in to sections with the red cord running continuously wound throughout its length.
It then follows that there must be a section where the chord is cut through to make the individual belts.

Slight squealing is common where liquids such as oils or coolant get on the belt during fitting. It will stop squeaking/squealing once the residue wears off.

Assuming its just residue on the belt, yes drive it. (But then I haven't heard the noise in question, so up to you ultimately ;) )

car5car

• Florida USA
    • 01 Cadillac Catera
    • View Profile

Start engine w/o timing belt cover and use stethoscope w/o stick to listen all pullies
01 CADILLAC CATERA 3.0 engine (Omega)

footloose

• swindon wiltshire
    • View Profile

Mine has been doing this for about two yrs. the squeak seem to be one squeak every revolution of engine it stops when I drive off and doesn't come back again till next morning and its worse in the winter. Got into the car the other day, engine missing all over the place. Sounded like a tractor. I have a new diss pack to fit when I have done that I will have to look at the belt. not sure whether the noise and the misfire are related or not yet. I will post and let you folks know what happens.

footloose

• swindon wiltshire
    • View Profile

Mine has been doing this for about two yrs. the squeak seem to be one squeak every revolution of engine it stops when I drive off and doesn't come back again till next morning and its worse in the winter. Got into the car the other day, engine missing all over the place. Sounded like a tractor. I have a new diss pack to fit when I have done that I will have to look at the belt. not sure whether the noise and the misfire are related or not yet. I will post and let you folks know what happens.

Should have said 'every revolution of the cam belt'

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile

Good idea car5car but without the bagpipes the car doesn't run as fast as normal and thus the squeaking is not there.

Re the tensioner..... when we fit the cambelt me and Jaime put the new tensioner mark on the upper edge (like in the video). yesterday, when I put the car to TDC so I could fit the crank pulley correctly, I noticed that the notch was bang on the little cut out line..... car has only done 40 or so miles since we set the tension.... should this have moved down already to the line or should it still be on the upper edge?  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile

oh and just to add.. it only appears to do this at idle. stick some revs on and it goes.  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 17 queries.