Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Buy to let.  (Read 2320 times)

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
Re: Buy to let.
« Reply #15 on: 11 November 2013, 22:54:38 »

Hi Guy nice to see you back on here. Sorry to hear about your dad. I can't really add to the advice already given but if finances allow I would be inclined  to go more up market than buying repossessed properties in run down areas and be very careful in the vetting of your tenants, as bad tenants can be more trouble than their worth and can end up very costly
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 November 2013, 10:13:35 »

Hi Guy nice to see you back on here. Sorry to hear about your dad. I can't really add to the advice already given but if finances allow I would be inclined  to go more up market than buying repossessed properties in run down areas and be very careful in the vetting of your tenants, as bad tenants can be more trouble than their worth and can end up very costly

I did the opposite and it was a very successful venture. Remember, you are looking for the best return on outlay. :y

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #17 on: 12 November 2013, 10:50:36 »

You absolutely do NOT need an agent. Scum of the earth. Avoid.

Advertise privately, through gum tree if you must, or better, a local well to do firms notice board in the area. Microsoft are good here locally, for example.

These type of generalisations really annoy me. How so? I had an experience some years ago with a bad tennant, the letting agent was absolutely fantastic and was able to get a satisfactory resolution to a difficult situation. Yes we all know of examples of poor agents - but like any other walk in life there are good and bad. In the same way that not all garages are bad.

I agree that the market needs more regulation - but it is just that an open market and like any other commitment should be chosen carefully.

I agree that there are other ways of doing things which may work for some, but not all.

So, I'll get off my soapbox now - rant over.  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 November 2013, 12:21:26 »

Advertise privately, through gum tree if you must, or better, a local well to do firms notice board in the area. Microsoft are good here locally, for example.

These type of generalisations really annoy me. How so? I had an experience some years ago with a bad tennant, the letting agent was absolutely fantastic and was able to get a satisfactory resolution to a difficult situation. Yes we all know of examples of poor agents - but like any other walk in life there are good and bad. In the same way that not all garages are bad.

I agree that the market needs more regulation - but it is just that an open market and like any other commitment should be chosen carefully.

I agree that there are other ways of doing things which may work for some, but not all.

Interesting Rob, but who put the tenant in there in the first place, you or the agent? By being careful who I let to, I never had a problem over 15 years letting 3 properties. :y

Paddy Flannery

• Intermediate Member
  • Hertford, Hertfordshire
    • 2003 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 November 2013, 14:22:02 »

Has anyone here had experience of buying a property and then renting to local council ? It's something I'm considering when I retire.

chrisgixer

« Reply #20 on: 12 November 2013, 14:46:21 »

It's no generalisation ime. It's across the board. Lettings or Estate agents. In dealing with our lettings and purchases, and managing others lettings for them, we have yet to encounter a good one, or even an average one.

Will speak as I find.

But, lets say you do find a good one. There's nothing they do that can't be done diy. Save your selves the money. AND a load of agro.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 November 2013, 15:00:55 »

My only piece of advice Guy would be to consider carefuly the decision to buy outright.

With a Mortgage in place on the property you have a nice effective 'overhead' for income/profit to go against.

This means you can get your income tax liability down to zero, allows more flexibility in house choice/refurb provision and means the money that would be going to the tax man is increasing your capital worth.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.