Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: gearbox stuck on splines?l  (Read 12196 times)

05omegav6

Re: gearbox stuck on splines?l
« Reply #30 on: 19 January 2014, 20:49:02 »

Trust you've re set that axle stand :-\

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 January 2014, 21:40:31 »

Oh yes. I found an old twin screw jack that I put under the gearbox, retrieved the trolley jack, relifted the right hand side and reset the axle stand. All is safe now.

'Tis indeed a mystery. Has it never happened before on clutch changes, I wonder? Has no-one else followed the clutch change maintenance guide? Time will tell.

05omegav6

« Reply #32 on: 19 January 2014, 21:48:40 »

Oh yes. I found an old twin screw jack that I put under the gearbox, retrieved the trolley jack, relifted the right hand side and reset the axle stand. All is safe now.

'Tis indeed a mystery. Has it never happened before on clutch changes, I wonder? Has no-one else followed the clutch change maintenance guide? Time will tell.
:y

As said no issue with Haynes for this, there's no 'cheat' method, just undo that which needs undoing and out comes the box :-\ it does take some jiggling, but first time shouldn't take more than four hours to methodically dismantle it... provided the car plays ball... surely as a traffic car it must have had at least two clutch changes...

Unless the last person screwed it up. :-\

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 19 January 2014, 22:18:51 »

Keeping the box square to the engine is important. Due to the weight of the engine and gearbox it is difficult to feel when they are lined up. When they are lined up they slide together/apart easily

My guess is that it will slide out without a fuss at the next attempt.

If it doesn't then I would still expect rust on the splines to be the cause. If not that then the only other thing I can think of is that the void bush may have picked up and seized on the end of the input shaft :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19 January 2014, 22:35:04 »

Keeping the box square to the engine is important. Due to the weight of the engine and gearbox it is difficult to feel when they are lined up. When they are lined up they slide together/apart easily

If it doesn't then I would still expect rust on the splines to be the cause. If not that then the only other thing I can think of is that the void bush may have picked up and seized on the end of the input shaft :-\
I hope it slides out next attempt without fuss. I will endeavour to see it is square to the engine. I did try levering engine and gearbox apart, but they always looked pretty square.

It's odd that it will not go back in either.

What is the void bush?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19 January 2014, 22:46:16 »

:y It has had four clutches, at 33971, 49275, 72517 and 116350 miles. It has now covered 185000 miles. I admit today I screwed it up, but do not understand why it is still stuck now that I have removed the two screws between the upper plate and the tail of the gearbox.
As said no issue with Haynes for this, there's no 'cheat' method, just undo that which needs undoing and out comes the box :-\ it does take some jiggling, but first time shouldn't take more than four hours to methodically dismantle it... provided the car plays ball... surely as a traffic car it must have had at least two clutch changes...

Unless the last person screwed it up. :-\

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 20 January 2014, 07:24:45 »

I hope it slides out next attempt without fuss. I will endeavour to see it is square to the engine. I did try levering engine and gearbox apart, but they always looked pretty square.

It's odd that it will not go back in either.

What is the void bush?
The bearing in the end of the crankshaft that the gearbox input shaft runs in.

It could be either a bronze bush or a needle roller bearing but I can't remember which the Omega uses :-\

PS can't remember where I got the word 'void' from. Probably not the correct name :-\

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20 January 2014, 07:46:23 »

can't remember where I got the word 'void' from.
Rear upper suspension arms on the Mark 3,4 & 5 Cortinas perchance :)
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20 January 2014, 07:49:47 »

If you dont have any luck can you make up a stretcher from a couple of bolts and spread it apart but a crow bar should do the same.
Please expand. I have tried tyre levers, to no avail. I have pulled ropes, no avail. Trouble is I feel all I am doing is compressing the clutch spring. Once I release it pops back to where I started. Some form of screw or expander might impress it.I could not imagine how to make one

Goldy

• France
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20 January 2014, 08:04:46 »

Is the box far enough out to get too the pressure plate bolts, if so undo them and take the box and clutch out together.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 20 January 2014, 08:49:18 »

You may not have enough room but if you can get a bolt or stud screwed into the engine with a nut in the gap  between engine and gearbox leaving a space for movement at the gearbox end  then you can spread the gap with the nut against the gear box. Hope that makes sense. There are avaiable very small hydraulic jacks for small gaps, Best of luck I think you could do with help from a local OOf member.

05omegav6

« Reply #41 on: 20 January 2014, 09:41:50 »

Mine didn't have anything fitted to the end of the input shaft :-\ so can't help with that either :-\

Does the box rotate around the input shaft?

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 20 January 2014, 19:50:46 »

Mine didn't have anything fitted to the end of the input shaft :-\ so can't help with that either :-\

Does the box rotate around the input shaft?
The bush should be a nice snug fit in the end of the crankshaft - if it comes out on the end of the input shaft then there is something wrong...... (but something odd has happened which is why I mentioned it as a remote possibility)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 20 January 2014, 19:55:35 »

You may not have enough room but if you can get a bolt or stud screwed into the engine with a nut in the gap  between engine and gearbox leaving a space for movement at the gearbox end  then you can spread the gap with the nut against the gear box. Hope that makes sense. There are avaiable very small hydraulic jacks for small gaps, Best of luck I think you could do with help from a local OOf member.
I don't feel comfortable forcing something that shouldn't need to be forced. :-\

I would try to get gearbox and engine back together again and then slide the box in and out to free up the splines.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 20 January 2014, 20:15:34 »

You guys talking about the pilot bushing? :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.