Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Romano SGI LPG system V6  (Read 2356 times)

Martin_1962

Romano SGI LPG system V6
« on: 19 February 2014, 11:32:14 »

ECU, new unused vapouriser, the old one, 6 decent injectors, plenum straws, all looms, 70l tank, vent hoses, cut injector cables, manual, rubber hoses.

Requires, 6mm, 8mm LPG pipe, a few olives.

There are pictures on this site if you search for them.

£200 collect only

You will need to be able to solder, and fit the pipework, also fit the coolant hoses for the vapouriser.

bootie

• Enix, Almeria, Spain
    • View Profile
Re: Romano SGI LPG system V6
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2014, 12:46:40 »

I can solder and have done a bit of pipework in the past!
Would this be suitable for Zirks 3.2 V6 estate?

This is only a thought.....

Jon

Martin_1962

« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2014, 12:56:14 »

I can solder and have done a bit of pipework in the past!
Would this be suitable for Zirks 3.2 V6 estate?

This is only a thought.....

Jon

I think it would definately up to the smaller V6s but the 3.2 will be near its upper limit but then it is cheap!

bootie

• Enix, Almeria, Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2014, 13:01:46 »

Um, right, yeah :-[
Haven't really done any research on LPG, I don't suppose you could explain that in laymans terms why the 3.2 might be at the limit? If you have the time of course.

Cheers
Jon

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
  • Bromsgrove, West Midlands
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2014, 13:24:32 »

Haven't really done any research on LPG, I don't suppose you could explain that in laymans terms why the 3.2 might be at the limit? If you have the time of course.

Cheers
Jon

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the system is unable to supply enough gas (pressure) quick enough to satisfy the 3.2's.

I thought about this myself, but after reading some posts by Martin in the past and other sites, this will struggle.

HTH's :y
AKA - Mr Bracket

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2014, 13:26:45 »

Cheers
Jon
If its a single hole tank, it may not be possible to deliver the gas to the engine fast enough (most are borderling on 3.0l, although there are some better, higher flowing valves out there (though I believe Martin Imber's is too old for a high flow multivalve).

The vapouriser also has a maximum limit, usually rated in BHP, but you need to give yourself some headroom, as the manufacturers are a bit optimistic it seems.

Lastly, the injectors need to be able to get enough gas in a cylinder in a cycle.

If any of these are lacking, at best you'll get lagging, low power, switching back to petrol etc. At worse, if it runs lean, it will need a new engine pretty quickly.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2014, 13:29:30 »

Martin Imber - as you know, the tanks are certified for 10yrs from manufacture, after which time they need recertification (which in the sake of tanks is usually cheaper to simply replace the tank). It worth saying when the tank was manufactured, as that must be getting close on yours (IIRC, you removed this from your old car and installed into your now bent one?)
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2014, 14:16:47 »

About 8 years old

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2014, 19:23:16 »

About 8 years old
It will have a date stamp on the plate that has the serial number on :)
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2014, 20:53:51 »

Are straws less than ideal for gas delivery :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2014, 21:20:15 »

Yes. Its a bodge, frankly. Sorry. All things being relative and all, as piggy back systems are a bit of a bodge themselves, as we all have. But straws are a bit Micky, to say the least. There's a risk of air leaks and the straws snapping off. The lpg should be injected as close to the petrol injectors as possible.

Having said that, I've driven a couple of recently fitted Brc systems with straws tapped into the top of the plenum and they drove ok.

Martin_1962

« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2014, 21:20:23 »

They work fine but can make plenum removal awkwards.

If I was doing it again it would be nozzles in the inlet manifold, but straws work fine

Martin_1962

« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2014, 21:22:16 »

Yes. Its a bodge, frankly. Sorry. All things being relative and all, as piggy back systems are a bit of a bodge themselves, as we all have. But straws are a bit Micky, to say the least. There's a risk of air leaks and the straws snapping off. The lpg should be injected as close to the petrol injectors as possible.

Having said that, I've driven a couple of recently fitted Brc systems with straws tapped into the top of the plenum and they drove ok.

Piggy back?

They work, never heard of one snapping off and the injection point is not far from the gas injector, 20mm or so upstream.

Main advantage is it saves removing the inlet manifold.

chrisgixer

« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2014, 21:29:20 »

Piggy back?

They work, never heard of one snapping off and the injection point is not far from the gas injector, 20mm or so upstream.

Main advantage is it saves removing the inlet manifold.

Precisely. Rather than remove the plenum and then the inlet to be drilled without swarf through the engine. Its a short cut by half arsed lpg fitters. Having said that its only aluminum swarf.

chrisgixer

« Reply #14 on: 19 February 2014, 21:30:41 »

Although there's nothing to prevent it being fitted properly on the car of its new home.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 17 queries.