Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Renault Grand Scenic electronic handbrake  (Read 12939 times)

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
Renault Grand Scenic electronic handbrake
« on: 04 May 2014, 20:39:03 »

I'm getting desperate with my MY2006 Grand Scenic, it has no handbrake (broken) and MOT is getting closer. A new electric unit would be 1300 eur from the dealers so that is out of the question. Have been looking for a second hand unit but in Finland seems difficult to find. As I'm no ttoo familiar with breakers and their habits I'm asking if anyone knows anyone who might have this part in their breakers... or could give a hint who to mail/calll for such part.

05omegav6

Re: Renault Grand Scenic electronic handbrake
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2014, 20:48:08 »

Have you tried dismantling/cleaning/reassembling the unit :-\

iirc, Jasonm had some success fixing one a while back... might be worth sending him a pm to find out if what he did can help you :y

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2014, 21:28:46 »

Hi KCL,

Can you tell me what the EXACT problem is with it? I may be able to help you. What happens when you pull the lever on the dash? Can you hear the electronic motor whirring at all???

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2014, 11:25:31 »

Hi KCL,

Can you tell me what the EXACT problem is with it? I may be able to help you. What happens when you pull the lever on the dash? Can you hear the electronic motor whirring at all???

No, it does not whirr when trying to operate the handle. It was stuck on once, then released from the emergency handle. Opened the unit, cables run ok, lubricated them. Found that the blue relay on circuit board was overheated, replaced the relay and it still wont work. When trying the "reset" (door open, long press from the start button etc, this should run the motor so that the cables connect again) the motor does whirr but nothing really happens. The handle has been opened and it works ok. Read the codes with CLIP and it says that the emergency handle has been pulled and says also that the 12V feed on start-up has not been detected (but the feed is there, it would not whirr without 12V feed when pressing the start etc...)

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2014, 17:30:25 »

Sounds more like an electrical problem than a mechanical one. Could be one of a number of things -

There is a clutch position sensor on the clutch pedal that could be faulty / wires broke / rusty or contaminated this speaks to the ECU and can cause problems if it is in some way broken / not working as the unit will not respond in the correct way and get confused.

Also there's a manual release switch (inside the mechanism) also that throws up errors if it gets accidentally upset whilst stripping the unit down. 

When you replaced the relay did you check all the other circuits to see if they are continuous and don't have broken or burned bits?

As for getting a second-hand unit I've heard that you cannot interchange them as they are programmed to be used once only , However I know someone who picked up one that matched his car spec. exactly i.e. same model & gearbox and it worked  :-\ :-\ :-\

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2014, 17:37:37 »

Sounds more like an electrical problem than a mechanical one. Could be one of a number of things -

There is a clutch position sensor on the clutch pedal that could be faulty / wires broke / rusty or contaminated this speaks to the ECU and can cause problems if it is in some way broken / not working as the unit will not respond in the correct way and get confused.

Also there's a manual release switch (inside the mechanism) also that throws up errors if it gets accidentally upset whilst stripping the unit down. 

When you replaced the relay did you check all the other circuits to see if they are continuous and don't have broken or burned bits?

As for getting a second-hand unit I've heard that you cannot interchange them as they are programmed to be used once only , However I know someone who picked up one that matched his car spec. exactly i.e. same model & gearbox and it worked  :-\ :-\ :-\

Sorry, do you mean brake pedal? My Passat will not release the parking brake, unless the brake pedal is pressed, doesnt care about the clutch  :-\ :-\

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2014, 18:36:56 »

Nope, definately on the clutch  :)

On them daft Renaults you can say put the parking brake on if you're stopping on an upward slope, and then engage 1st gear and as soon as you lift the clutch & get biting point  the handbrake will release automatically.

Stemo

« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2014, 18:41:29 »

Nope, definately on the clutch  :)

On them daft Renaults you can say put the parking brake on if you're stopping on an upward slope, and then engage 1st gear and as soon as you lift the clutch & get biting point  the handbrake will release automatically.
Not daft, it's hill start assist. :P

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2014, 18:46:33 »

Not daft, it's hill start assist.

I know, ok till it goes wrong and you can't move the B****y thing and are stuck at a junction with an ever growing annoyed queue behind ya  ;D ;D ;D

But that's Renault electrics for ya  :D ;D :D ;D

:P :P :P

Stemo

« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2014, 18:53:02 »

I know, ok till it goes wrong and you can't move the B****y thing and are stuck at a junction with an ever growing annoyed queue behind ya  ;D ;D ;D

Some of the captiva ones are starting to give trouble on the Chevvy forum. Fickin stupid, unnecessary gizmo. Give me a proper handbrake any day. In fact...I would deliberately ask the salesman if any vehicle I was considering buying had one, then tell him I didn't want to buy it.

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2014, 18:59:35 »

I never know how they (electric hand-brakes) got passed, I thought the whole idea of a a 'hand brake' is that it is an emergency brake as well as brake for holding the car still on slopes & when you leave it? I couldn't imagine what would happen if you pushed the switch in an emergency if ya foot brake fails  :o :o :o :o

Stemo

« Reply #11 on: 05 May 2014, 19:04:00 »

Hmmmm......an electronic handbrake turn...the would fick Tiff and Jason and Jeremy and Richard up.... :D

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 May 2014, 00:16:33 »

Some of the captiva ones are starting to give trouble on the Chevvy forum. Fickin stupid, unnecessary gizmo. Give me a proper handbrake any day. In fact...I would deliberately ask the salesman if any vehicle I was considering buying had one, then tell him I didn't want to buy it.

Tis a proper leaver on the Honda, how's the Chevy?.......... :y :y

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 May 2014, 07:51:50 »

Yes, it is electrical, nothing mechanical. And its automatic so no luck with clutch switch. Have now found a second hand unit for some 300 euros, let's see if it works... A real pain the whole thingy, useless piece of xsxhit, why on earth have they ever fitted such apparatus to any car? And AFAIK all the Scenics are really suffering from this issue, especially here up north where winter freezes all handbrakes, mechanical and electrical. I really do wonder why it is essential to have this electric handbrake working in MOT as it is useless, especially in an autobox car...

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 06 May 2014, 09:31:11 »

Typical management thinking...

If the car breaks in a really irritating, yet expensive way, the customer will simply trade it in for another one...

What they systematically fail to grasp is that customers will buy another car, from another manufacturer ::)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.