Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Tablets (not meds)  (Read 3630 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap Tablets (not meds)
« Reply #30 on: 25 May 2014, 10:18:23 »

I'd suggest the phone is big enough to be a mini tablet Al. Tbh.

Nice to use, and for browsing but, get that bugger in your pocket and sit down. See of it snaps ;D

iPhone 5 is too big IMO. And theirs talk of them going bigger on the 6. :(
I hate to agree, but I reckon the iphone 3/4 were the ideal form factor for a smartphone that you actually need to carry around.  Unless you are the sort of gentleman that likes to carry manbags to store it in ;)

Its rumoured that iPhone 6 is 4.7" screen. Hence, its unlikely I'll be getting one. Might have to get a 5S before the 6 is launched, in the hope that it'll last until Google ever pull their finger out and launch a usable mail/collaboration client.
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #31 on: 25 May 2014, 10:21:24 »

I don't buy the "all Sony products are crap" btw.

I've got a new home cinema amp from them and its absolutely first class. So far... :)

In fact, I'm so pleased with it, I'm prepared to re solder components back into the board when the joints go dry. Like the last one did ::) ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25 May 2014, 11:11:13 »

10” tablets seem pointless to me; too big to be comfortable to hold or properly portable, too similar in price to a laptop to be worthwhile. The lack of a keyboard, hard drive etc means that tablets are in addition to a computer, not a replacement. You're not going to do any serious writing, CAD work or image processing on one. Tablets are media devices.

A 7" tablet can be held in one hand, but has a big enough screen for video, or reading text, as it's a similar size to a paperback book. Which means it also fits in a coat pocket or bag. The price of a good one doesn't really have any competition either.

I'm writing this on a Nexus 7, which would be my recommendation, although this post is about as long as I can stand to 'type' on a touchscreen. It's also the reason for the edit for spelling mistakes.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2014, 11:12:57 by Nick W »

05omegav6

« Reply #33 on: 25 May 2014, 12:51:46 »

I'd suggest the phone is big enough to be a mini tablet Al. Tbh.

Nice to use, and for browsing but, get that bugger in your pocket and sit down. See of it snaps ;D

iPhone 5 is too big IMO. And theirs talk of them going bigger on the 6. :(
That's my point, screen is almost the same size, and I can use it to send texts and ring people too... Which is nice :y

Haven't snapped it yet, but the screen is shite compared to my Xperia S, really easily scuffed, so can only assume it's plastic rather than glass :-\ And as for the screen on the tablet... well that is bomb proof :y

You pays your money, you makes your choice... very happy with mine thus far :y

Should I need to replace it, then I will probably do so on a like for like basis, or buy a laptop as my phone has a 5" screen, so a mini tablet has less to offer in my case.
I doubt you'll replace with another Sony one, unless you hurry up and break yours, as Phoney are trying to dump PC and tablet division, and not clear what they are doing with mobile and mini tablets.
Kind of a moot point until it breaks... by then I may well have a TV with wifi (for Netflix etc), in which case I may well invest in a laptop, probably HP).

I have a desk cradle for mine which makes watching things a bit more comfortable, and also have a proper keyboard for it, which I don't really use ::)

Viewing things on the 10"screen is easier/more comfortable than the 5" one on the phone too :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #34 on: 25 May 2014, 19:47:12 »

Talking iPads, iPad 1 was very heavy to hold one handed while typing with the other. Er, no that's not fare. It was slippery to hold. Meaning a death grip needed to stop it sliding out of your hand. Adding a tactile case helped that greatly.

But what helped even more was the iPad mini. Its a fraction of the weight, and with a tactile case, typing all day is no problem. Jobs spelling aside ::) ;D

Although, the new iPad Air is said to be much lighter. But not sure if its light et than the mini.

Anyway, point is, IMO the iPad mini is the ideal size for a tablet. Cheaper. Lighter. No loss of use with screen size. More suitable virtual key board size. Perfect.

Another tip, if you have a hotspot enabled mobile, the tablet doesn't need to be 3G enabled. So no speckled Jim if the broadband is down. ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.012 seconds with 17 queries.