Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it the starter motor?  (Read 3766 times)

Magwheels

• Intermediate Member
    • 2.2 dti Elite saloon
    • View Profile
Re: Is it the starter motor?
« Reply #15 on: 22 June 2014, 23:00:31 »

One thing to check and its free is the main positive battery cable where it connects to the battery clamp and the starter, they are normally covered with insulation and can rot the core without being seen. My neighbour had various "flat battery" symptoms when trying to start his Sharan. He went to change the starter motor as this was suspected and the end of the main cable was a bit "wobbly" so he investigated why and it pretty much fell apart as the core/cores has corroded away. The easiest way for you to check the battery end would be to hold it whilst someone cranked the motor off the key, same with the starter end but make sure you are not wearing anything metallic as you don't want to short it out whilst you are wearing something, gets rather hot!!!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 June 2014, 23:11:31 »

"Magwheels", you have a good point. I have already done resistance checks at the terminals without finding anything untoward, but I will certainly make a physical inspection tomorrow, peeling back all insulation, etc.
I really want to know why the terminals are hot even some while after cranking, with just the engine on tick-over. All I can think of is heating due to alternator charging current into a high resistance crimped terminal?

Ron.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 June 2014, 09:59:45 »

"Magwheels", you have a good point. I have already done resistance checks at the terminals without finding anything untoward, but I will certainly make a physical inspection tomorrow, peeling back all insulation, etc.
I really want to know why the terminals are hot even some while after cranking, with just the engine on tick-over. All I can think of is heating due to alternator charging current into a high resistance crimped terminal?

Ron.

Loose connections, corrosion or some other reason for a high resistance in that connection ... it needs taking apart and cleaning up. heat at an electrical connection is simply the sign of a bad connectiion

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 June 2014, 10:30:06 »

Ron.
What happens is that individual cable strands snap where the greatest stress is next to the cable crimp. There are probably only 3 or 4 strands hanging on now.

If you give it a firm pull the cable will probably separate from the crimp (so don't try this until you have a replacement handy)

15 years ago the alternator warning light started glowing on my Carlton while I was still a couple of hours from home. I stopped and had a poke at the alternator and the lead came away in my hand. ::)

Fortunately I had a few tools with me and there was plenty of space to get at the alternator. I managed to open up the crimp and used mole grips to make a half decent new crimp connection  :y
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 June 2014, 10:43:06 »

"Entwood" and "Andy", you are both on the money, I'm sure. My task for today is to have a proper look at the crimps and remake them if possible - just a 1/2 hour job that shouldn't take more than the day!
Andy, I wish you hadn't mentioned your Carlton: I had one some years back and loved it. Unfortunately, it didn't love me and after several problems too many, it had to go to its final resting place!
Ah, Carlton Estate (2.2) in Midnight Blue metallic........
 :'(

Ron.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.