Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Sports cars . . . .  (Read 12364 times)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Sports cars . . . .
« Reply #120 on: 21 July 2014, 19:13:42 »

10667  ::)

I'm sure that TB has a sense of humour..........I think. ;D

You'll be fine,you haven't mentioned magic trees,although I think he's over that now :y :-X :-X
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 21 July 2014, 20:38:08 »

What about this  :-\

Best used coupes: the alternatives

Audi TT

The only one I've ever driven was utterly dull and uninvolving to drive. No feedback whatsoever. 2 seater A4.

More toupe than coupe, IMHO. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 21 July 2014, 23:44:09 »

Have we looked at any Yanks yet?  ???  This one looks OK and would be a bit different around the highways and byeways of rural West Wales?  :y

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-3-8-LITRE-V6-AUTOMATIC-EURO-SPEC-66-000-MILES-WITH-HISTORY-/131203273874?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1e8c531492
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

05omegav6

« Reply #123 on: 21 July 2014, 23:48:46 »

If you're to be daft Sir Tig, at least suggest one with a proper engine ::)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 21 July 2014, 23:56:09 »

It has to be affordable! :P  :)

05omegav6

« Reply #125 on: 22 July 2014, 00:44:49 »

It has to be affordable! :P  :)
Valid point, well made, so I give you this...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/chevrolet/camaro/used-chevrolet-camaro-kings-lynn-fpa-201407115734178?logcode=p  :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 22 July 2014, 00:53:22 »

Nice!  8)  Still prefer it in red though.  ::)  ;D

Rog

« Reply #127 on: 22 July 2014, 07:33:52 »

Have we looked at any Yanks yet?  ???  This one looks OK and would be a bit different around the highways and byeways of rural West Wales?  :y

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-3-8-LITRE-V6-AUTOMATIC-EURO-SPEC-66-000-MILES-WITH-HISTORY-/131203273874?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1e8c531492

I think I have just had a cerebro-spermatic accident  :-X    :y

Actually a LHD in West Wales would almost be suicide. The area has one of the highest motoring death rates relative to population in the UK, mainly due to nutters driving way too fast and lunatic overtaking on the country roads. With LHD you stand even less chance of seeing what's coming at you on the wrong side of the road. On the plus side, being on the other side of the car, maybe there's a better chance of survival ?   :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 22 July 2014, 09:17:21 »

I think I have just had a cerebro-spermatic accident  :-X    :y

Actually a LHD in West Wales would almost be suicide. The area has one of the highest motoring death rates relative to population in the UK, mainly due to nutters driving way too fast and lunatic overtaking on the country roads. With LHD you stand even less chance of seeing what's coming at you on the wrong side of the road. On the plus side, being on the other side of the car, maybe there's a better chance of survival ?   :-\

Can't see it would make a lot of difference Rog to be honest.  If you can't beat them, join them and what could possibly go wrong?!  ::)  :)

aaronjb

« Reply #129 on: 22 July 2014, 10:21:22 »

As long as you can still see to avoid the wooly bollards.. ;D

I've been having a similar look recently with a view to replacing the M3 with something slightly, er, less eye watering to repair.. there's so little out there though in the inexpensive price bracket.  Obviously (to appease Kevin) I'm broadening the definition of "sports car" to include anything basically "nippy, quick or fast with better-than-average handling" and in my case "able to withstand a session on track without grenading"..

I came down to:

MX5 - except I probably don't fit (never tried but people who've owned them keep telling me I won't, so..)

S2000 - see above!

MR2 - been there, done that, though in your case I'd highly recommend an MR2 Roadster.. generally bulletproof, great handling, nicely balanced and require a little more skill than the MX5 as they are easier to make swap ends due to the short wheelbase and engine in the arse end

Boxster (early, small engine) - not that quick and expensive to repair, but there are plenty around

350Z - coupe is just in the <£5k range, convertible a little more.  Great car, little heavy for track work but comfy, quick and decent handling (not as nimble as something lighter, obviously)

Monaro - just about in the price range, too big & heavy for track work without eating suspension though, I suspect (maybe 2woody can comment on that)

Porsche 944 - very old, not exactly a looker but a nicer interior than an early Boxster, no idea about reliability but I'm half tempted by this one

So far that's my list and it's making me wonder if I can find a way to keep the M3 instead as the M3 (reliability aside) does everything I could want of it; it handles track time well (as long as you remember to take a spare set of pads, ahem!) and eats miles with ease, comfortable, very quick, decent handling (hush, Kevin!).. the SMG gearbox is a pain in the arris around town as BMW couldn't program a smooth 3rd-2nd downshift if they tried, but on the open road it's a joy..

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 22 July 2014, 11:07:21 »

Rog, a customer / friend of mine has a Dax Rush in black and chrome with a very nice 2ltr cossie engine under the bonnet.
Engines been tweaked (hybrid turbo / green injectors  / remap) and pushes out iirc, 300bhp   :D :D :D

I know over Christmas that he was on about selling it to fund another project this summer.

If your interested, I can have a word and sort some pictures out for you  :y

Just a word of warning though, this thing will frighten the shite out of some superbikes if you can change gear fast enough so its not for the faint hearted  ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 22 July 2014, 11:31:45 »

MX5 - except I probably don't fit (never tried but people who've owned them keep telling me I won't, so..)

Feel free to try Emma's one for size sometime. :y

Monaro - just about in the price range, too big & heavy for track work without eating suspension though, I suspect (maybe 2woody can comment on that)

2Woody posted a video somewhere that disproves that one. ::)

Porsche 944 - very old, not exactly a looker but a nicer interior than an early Boxster, no idea about reliability but I'm half tempted by this one

Always fancied one of those, and I think 2Woody ran one as a track car for a while, so, again, worth a chat with him.

So far that's my list and it's making me wonder if I can find a way to keep the M3 instead...

Is a manual conversion feasible?

Rog, a customer / friend of mine has a Dax Rush in black and chrome with a very nice 2ltr cossie engine under the bonnet.
Engines been tweaked (hybrid turbo / green injectors  / remap) and pushes out iirc, 300bhp   :D :D :D

I know over Christmas that he was on about selling it to fund another project this summer.

Just a word of warning though, this thing will frighten the shite out of some superbikes if you can change gear fast enough so its not for the faint hearted  ;)

Sounds very similar to the one a mate of mine built. Number plate doesn't end in VKJ(iirc), does it?

EDIT: Ahh, actually, this was a kind of burgundy colour.

And yes, having tried it, they will stay with a superbike well into 3 figure speeds. Not quite as "chuckable" as the Westfield, IME, but still a formidable car and I'm currently pondering garage space availability should Rog not take up your offer. ::)  :-X
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 22 July 2014, 11:46:25 »

Feel free to try Emma's one for size sometime. :y

2Woody posted a video somewhere that disproves that one. ::)

Always fancied one of those, and I think 2Woody ran one as a track car for a while, so, again, worth a chat with him.

So far that's my list and it's making me wonder if I can find a way to keep the M3 instead...

Is a manual conversion feasible?

Sounds very similar to the one a mate of mine built. Number plate doesn't end in VKJ(iirc), does it?

EDIT: Ahh, actually, this was a kind of burgundy colour.

And yes, having tried it, they will stay with a superbike well into 3 figure speeds. Not quite as "chuckable" as the Westfield, IME, but still a formidable car and I'm currently pondering garage space availability should Rog not take up your offer. ::)  :-X

3.0 944 quite quick,as is the 2.5 turbo,quite nice to work on too,cam belt etc all easily accessable  :y
other rides 

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 22 July 2014, 11:59:09 »

I've been having a similar look recently with a view to replacing the M3 with something slightly, er, less eye watering to repair.. there's so little out there though in the inexpensive price bracket.  Obviously (to appease Kevin) I'm broadening the definition of "sports car" to include anything basically "nippy, quick or fast with better-than-average handling" and in my case "able to withstand a session on track without grenading"..

I came down to:

S2000 - see above!

MR2 - been there, done that, though in your case I'd highly recommend an MR2 Roadster.. generally bulletproof, great handling, nicely balanced and require a little more skill than the MX5 as they are easier to make swap ends due to the short wheelbase and engine in the arse end

Boxster (early, small engine) - not that quick and expensive to repair, but there are plenty around

350Z - coupe is just in the <£5k range, convertible a little more.  Great car, little heavy for track work but comfy, quick and decent handling (not as nimble as something lighter, obviously)

So far that's my list and it's making me wonder if I can find a way to keep the M3 instead as the M3 (reliability aside) does everything I could want of it; it handles track time well (as long as you remember to take a spare set of pads, ahem!) and eats miles with ease, comfortable, very quick, decent handling (hush, Kevin!).. the SMG gearbox is a pain in the arris around town as BMW couldn't program a smooth 3rd-2nd downshift if they tried, but on the open road it's a joy..

I sat in one at the Mazda showroom while the RX8 was being butchered by the service team.

The interior is cramped to say the least. :-\

Fine for women up to nine stones in weight and 5' 6" in height.........90% of owners. The other 10% being gay men. ::) ::) :)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 22 July 2014, 13:39:04 »

I came down to:

S2000 - see above!

I sat in one at the Mazda showroom while the RX8 was being butchered by the service team.

The interior is cramped to say the least. :-\

Fine for women up to nine stones in weight and 5' 6" in height.........90% of owners. The other 10% being gay men. ::) ::) :)

Did'nt Elite Pete own of these and doesn't Kevin Wood have one in his household Opti,so what are you saying ?,come on man,spit it out :D :D ;D ;D
other rides 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 17 queries.