Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: It's only a car....  (Read 7811 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: It's only a car....
« Reply #15 on: 17 August 2014, 10:17:48 »

I bought mine in July 2006 for £2250, and while I'll be the first to admit it's certainly not the best example on the forum, we're still together!!  :-*  :y

You try buying a 6 year old V6 executive motor these days for the same money!  ::)

Er....July 2006 is now 8 years ago, Sir Tig. Memory going downhill is it?...... ::) ::) ::) ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 August 2014, 11:21:25 »

I bought mine in July 2006 for £2250, and while I'll be the first to admit it's certainly not the best example on the forum, we're still together!!  :-*  :y

You try buying a 6 year old V6 executive motor these days for the same money!  ::)

Er....July 2006 is now 8 years ago, Sir Tig. Memory going downhill is it?...... ::) ::) ::) ;D

You're quite right M'lud it was 8 years ago, but the car was only 6 years old at the time.  ::)

Never mind though, we'll make allowances considering your advanced time of life!  :P  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 August 2014, 13:51:31 »

You're quite right M'lud it was 8 years ago, but the car was only 6 years old at the time.  ::)

Never mind though, we'll make allowances considering your advanced time of life!  :P  ;)

I stand corrected. Mr Dorset Squire. :y ;D ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 17 August 2014, 14:26:46 »

I can't explain it either, but am stupidly attached to mine too ::)

For all their faults, they're pretty damn good to drive, a mechanically sorted one is just as happy barrelling down country lanes as it is bimbling along a busy motorway. Sure a 5 series BMW will be more of a drivers car, and a Merc will be more of an executive effort, but for the money nothing comes remotely close. 8)

ted_one

« Reply #19 on: 17 August 2014, 14:47:46 »

Sorry chaps but....I'm getting a strong urge to give them the elbow and go for something with a V8 and maybe with the VXR badge.....getting fed up with throwing money at them and struggling to find some of the harder to find spares.Just thinking about putting all my eggs into one much newer basket than the three old ones that I have :-\

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 August 2014, 15:15:13 »

I still cant get used to coming home and mine isnt on the drive anymore, that space now occupied by the Monza
Keith B

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 August 2014, 15:24:26 »

Sorry chaps but....I'm getting a strong urge to give them the elbow and go for something with a V8 and maybe with the VXR badge.....getting fed up with throwing money at them and struggling to find some of the harder to find spares.Just thinking about putting all my eggs into one much newer basket than the three old ones that I have :-\
I can understand that. I would potentially do the same but I've got my 3.2 is just how I want it and the 2.6 is fine for an everyday car (but it has broke the bank and will need more spent on it (Radiator, Condensor, LPG kit) to get it where I want it).

Monaro's appeal to me but then the early ones are going to be in a similar condition to a late Omega, possibly worse due to their sportier usage so to me the whole 'get it how you want it process' is probably going to be similar to an Omega.

If my bank account was in better health, I'd be looking at an XF or a 530D - The older E60 model.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 August 2014, 17:00:40 »

As much as I'd like the Monaro/VXR8... I'm Getting tempted by the 535d E60 M Sport, Only thing stopping me is the price tag but saying that at lest they hold some kind of value after you've spent your dosh  ;D .. Think I'd still have to have at least one Omega though. Even if it wasn't used.  :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #23 on: 17 August 2014, 17:19:32 »

For me it is pure love.

The love for big Vauxhalls / GM cars in particular.

When I am cruising along in comfort with everything I need in a car, and then push my foot down and hear the wonderful roar.......................and know my car is becoming a rare classic in the making ................................pure bliss!! :-* :-* :-* :-*

I loved the Vx Cresta PA, and still have a love affair with the American 1959 Chevrolet Imparla with it's awesome gull wings and tear drop eyes - in black - aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!  Bliss!!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

There is a red Imparla for sale in Florida at the moment - I'd except a red one;  only $31,500.  Cheap!! :o :o 8) 8) 8) :-*
« Last Edit: 17 August 2014, 17:23:36 by Lizzie Zoom »

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 August 2014, 17:22:32 »

As much as I'd like the Monaro/VXR8... I'm Getting tempted by the 535d E60 M Sport, Only thing stopping me is the price tag but saying that at lest they hold some kind of value after you've spent your dosh  ;D .. Think I'd still have to have at least one Omega though. Even if it wasn't used.  :y

Exercise great caution when buying any modern BMW. "German reliability" is a myth. A colleague of mine has not long had his 36k mile X5 (same engine as 535d) returned from BMW having suffered main bearing failure  :o. (after a 5month battle of BMW trying to tell him he'd hyrdo-locked it despite the fact piston 4 had bloody valve marks in the top!)  ::).  See the thousands of timing chain failures on the 2.0 diesel units too.  >:(

Another colleague had an F10 525d for 3 years, sold it and bought a E39 530d.  The E39 is a better car in pretty much every way... apart from the cupholders.

Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 August 2014, 17:42:56 »

I've had a nosey around, with the idea of potentially chopping in one/both Omegas, but there is nothing out there that floats my boat.

For RWD, Beemer 5 series is out (M5 excepted), big Mercs are out until they understand chassis design, posh Toyotas, nah. Pretty much leaves SFA.

Maybe a Monaro, but 2 doors may be restrictive. VXR8 too pricey. Besides, I really, really, REALLY do not want another bloody Vauxhall.

Having the shitbox Zafira has been an eye opener - according to friends who have had them, I'm getting approx. the right sort of MPG from the 2.0DTI, yet £70+ is only getting me approx. 425 miles.  So the MV6 and the Elite are cheaper on fuel, faster, better handling, more comfortable, better equipped, cheaper to insure and a nicer place to be.

A day will come however, then I'll be 'dangle berries'ed.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 August 2014, 17:45:59 »

Can't be the chassis either as that's all over the place more often than not ;D
Even when it is, it offers such predictability, so lacking in many other mainstream marques like Fords, you can still be right on the limit.

To prove that, as you drive like a man possessed, now many times have you spun an Omega, or failed to stop in time (ice aside, as you use those silly tyres)? I'd wager never?
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 August 2014, 17:48:19 »

Exercise great caution when buying any modern BMW. "German reliability" is a myth. A colleague of mine has not long had his 36k mile X5 (same engine as 535d) returned from BMW having suffered main bearing failure  :o. (after a 5month battle of BMW trying to tell him he'd hyrdo-locked it despite the fact piston 4 had bloody valve marks in the top!)  ::).  See the thousands of timing chain failures on the 2.0 diesel units too.  >:(

Another colleague had an F10 525d for 3 years, sold it and bought a E39 530d.  The E39 is a better car in pretty much every way... apart from the cupholders.

There is a lot of truth in this statement. :y

Just because the Germans (and everyone else) kick the shit out of us at football doesn't necessarily mean that they can 'walk on water' when it comes to reliability.

Taxi_Driver

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 August 2014, 18:04:48 »

I've had a nosey around, with the idea of potentially chopping in one/both Omegas, but there is nothing out there that floats my boat.

How about this.....it RWD, should go pretty quick and im sure you could lpg it  :y

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BENTLEY-TURBO-R-6-8-AUTO-1986-SUPERB-EXAMPLE-DRIVES-SUPERBLY-BARGAIN/261279569254?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140221143405%26meid%3D564e424b3ebe41d2ae19bbf5a171679f%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D20140221143405%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D24%26sd%3D251596381224
I've driven the coupe with the later version of that engine - too small, too cramped, and I was disappointed in the entire package. Running costs look horrific.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 17 queries.