Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega remapping  (Read 25654 times)

cem_devecioglu

Re: Omega remapping
« Reply #135 on: 11 November 2014, 14:10:01 »

Exactly. The physical differences between engines is what makes the biggest difference, namely cams and displacement.

3.0 ECU is a shot in the dark. it might make an improvement, it might make things worse. I wasn't designed for the 2.5 engine in the first place.

Oh, and the fuel pressure on both the 2.5 and 3.0 is 3.0 BAR, by the way. The regulator is the same, as are the injectors.

3.0 ecu works great on my 2.5..  I think both ecus are adaptive but 2.5 map more on the economy side instead of power..

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 11 November 2014, 14:15:27 »

Leaving my 2.5 ECU on then!!!  :D
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 11 November 2014, 14:51:12 »

Ok then guys.

Let's say for arguments' sake you'd convinced me to go the 3L cams route as opposed to the chip.......

This extra flat spot thats created and fixed with the long plenum..... how bad is it?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

05omegav6

« Reply #138 on: 11 November 2014, 16:15:19 »

Thanks boys.

DBG your explanation makes total sense.

Kev, would you reckon the 3.0 chip would do the same as a superchips chip? or not as the SC chip is designed specifically for the 2.5?

No, the Superchips chip will (hopefully) contain ignition and fuel maps that have been developed for performance rather than the usual mix of emissions, compatibility with all climates and market positioning that the OEM chip was, so that should given you some gains, and those who have tried it confirm this (and that it doesn't seem to impact reliability).

The 3.0 chip is a crapshoot. It's actually likely to have pretty much the same maps as the 2.5 IMHO. Timing might have been tweaked a little, the map might extend to higher MAF output (but this is of no consequence to the 2.5 as it hasn't got big enough lungs to reach it). There is heresay that it improves things, in combination with a load of other mods, but no evidence that the same returns wouldn't have been achieved with the 2.5 chip.

Don't expect stellar results from just a chip in any case.

By far the best modification is a complete 3.0 lump, as has been said.
Fixed :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 11 November 2014, 16:34:44 »

As mentioned before, amazing results not expected, and if TB is correct then it wont iron out the flat spots anyway.... although others have said different - ill just have to try one i think/

however, before i do..... 3L cams. they cause a flat spot(s) themselves. whats the experience of this?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 11 November 2014, 16:58:13 »

Thanks boys.

DBG your explanation makes total sense.

Kev, would you reckon the 3.0 chip would do the same as a superchips chip? or not as the SC chip is designed specifically for the 2.5?

No, the Superchips chip will (hopefully) contain ignition and fuel maps that have been developed for performance rather than the usual mix of emissions, compatibility with all climates and market positioning that the OEM chip was, so that should given you some gains, and those who have tried it confirm this (and that it doesn't seem to impact reliability).

The 3.0 chip is a crapshoot. It's actually likely to have pretty much the same maps as the 2.5 IMHO. Timing might have been tweaked a little, the map might extend to higher MAF output (but this is of no consequence to the 2.5 as it hasn't got big enough lungs to reach it). There is heresay that it improves things, in combination with a load of other mods, but no evidence that the same returns wouldn't have been achieved with the 2.5 chip.

Don't expect stellar results from just a chip in any case.

By far the best modification is a complete 3.0 lump and AR35 gearbox, as has been said.

In fact, sod it.

By far the best modification is a complete 3.0 lump and AR35 gearbox Omega, as has been said.

Fixed :y
Fixed again.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #141 on: 11 November 2014, 17:27:21 »

Indeed ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 11 November 2014, 19:19:33 »

Webby, as has been previously said, you'd be a bit radio rental to buy a Superchips chips for £200-300, when half that will buy you a bigger engine complete with autobox and anything else you want, and this will perform far better, smoother than Superchips attempt (that IMHO wasn't that good).

I wouldn't even bother pissing around with £100 set of G cams. The 3.0l is just the only cost effective option if you want better performance and smoother power.
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 11 November 2014, 19:58:46 »

Fair enough jaime.

You mentioned I'd need everything from a 3l.

So block, heads, cams, ECU. Can I not use my old 2.5 plenum, inlets and sandwich plate?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

05omegav6

« Reply #144 on: 11 November 2014, 23:28:25 »

Fair enough jaime.

You mentioned I'd need everything from a 3l.

So block, heads, cams, ECU. Can I not use my old 2.5 plenum, inlets and sandwich plate?

Webby, sincere apologies if this undoubtedly comes out the wrong way, but...

Obtain a COMPLETE 3.0 lump with ancilliaries/wiring/ecu/ar35 from a breaker, (hell you could even buy  cheapy from gumtree or wherever) and fit said COMPLETE lump to Eeyore. If you wish to rebuild it first, then great :y

Stop making everything so complicated for yourself :-*

chrisgixer

« Reply #145 on: 11 November 2014, 23:36:03 »

Could probably get the complete car with 3.0 attached for not much more money.

chrisgixer

« Reply #147 on: 12 November 2014, 00:01:40 »

Perfect. Sort the suspension, bin those God awfull wheels, and away you go. :y

05omegav6

« Reply #148 on: 12 November 2014, 00:03:28 »

That actually looks quite tidy for the old fashioned version :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #149 on: 12 November 2014, 00:05:30 »

That actually looks quite tidy for the old fashioned version :-\
Oh it's not as superior as the face lift Elite obviously, but needs must and all that.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 17 queries.