Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG Guru Needed  (Read 13271 times)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
Re: LPG Guru Needed
« Reply #60 on: 17 November 2014, 21:01:35 »

Many thanks Gentlemen.

It's been in the car for 8 years, and has covered 60k Miles.  It's obviously been used as the service history shows replacement filters etc.

I can only assume that it has been running well up until the owner had problems (2014), spent a shit load of money on replacing the TB, DIC, etc to find nothing fixed it and traded it in for something newer.

I'm in the fortunate position where all things which go wrong with this model of car have erroneously been replaced due to either bad information from the owner, or lack of research from the Indy.

From the above, I can deduce that the LPG components fitted are more than capable of handling the fuel delivery the engine needs.  Interestingly, I've taken it for a 80mile blast tonight on Petrol.  When I say blast, it was obviously on a private test track and in no way shape or form was a Civic Type R involved.  Anyway, I digress.....

On Petrol, it runs bloody well, perfect in fact.  On Gas it runs perfect, until you give it maximum beans..... Seems to fuel it ok until lock-up in 3rd, and then it all throws a wobbly, and back onto Petrol.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 17 November 2014, 21:03:51 »

As TB says, until I get my Diag lead, I don't know quite whats going wrong.  The fault codes themselves will shed a lot of light on a completely unknown problem.  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 17 November 2014, 21:21:26 »

Many thanks Gentlemen.

It's been in the car for 8 years, and has covered 60k Miles.  It's obviously been used as the service history shows replacement filters etc.

I can only assume that it has been running well up until the owner had problems (2014), spent a shit load of money on replacing the TB, DIC, etc to find nothing fixed it and traded it in for something newer.

I'm in the fortunate position where all things which go wrong with this model of car have erroneously been replaced due to either bad information from the owner, or lack of research from the Indy.

From the above, I can deduce that the LPG components fitted are more than capable of handling the fuel delivery the engine needs.  Interestingly, I've taken it for a 80mile blast tonight on Petrol.  When I say blast, it was obviously on a private test track and in no way shape or form was a Civic Type R involved.  Anyway, I digress.....

On Petrol, it runs bloody well, perfect in fact.  On Gas it runs perfect, until you give it maximum beans..... Seems to fuel it ok until lock-up in 3rd, and then it all throws a wobbly, and back onto Petrol.
You may well find that the kit IS underspecced, and the owner was happy to use petrol when playing.
Grumpy old man

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 17 November 2014, 23:20:57 »

Many thanks Gentlemen.

From the above, I can deduce that the LPG components fitted are more than capable of handling the fuel delivery the engine needs. Interestingly, I've taken it for a 80mile blast tonight on Petrol.  When I say blast, it was obviously on a private test track and in no way shape or form was a Civic Type R involved.  Anyway, I digress.....

I have to disagree. I have seem some expensive installs with poor quality vaps/injectors/undersized tubing. Money doesnt always buy you a good LPG install.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

4x4

« Reply #64 on: 18 November 2014, 06:40:42 »

When you first connect diagnostics,save the current map on to your laptop,you might find the firmware hasnt been updated either.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 22 November 2014, 21:18:04 »

I have found the leak.  It's quite audible (for anyone but me).

Here is a snap;  The leak is from the Jubilee clip at the same place the Cable Tie is.  I spent this afternoon looking for the leak, and when I found it, I just cable tied the pipes as a temporary measure until I get it sorted.

Now, how do I fix it?  I take it the system is under pressure.  I can't just undo the hose and replace it, can I?  I have a full tank of gas.

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 22 November 2014, 21:22:25 »

cant see why not as gas should just stay put as solenoid wont open unless up to temp and engine running-will pop like a cork though--mine did when removed injectors to get to f""""""" coil pack
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 22 November 2014, 21:47:11 »

Shouldn't be any problems just replacing the pipe, as Symes says.

There is a solaenoid at the tank that shuts off the gas from the tank when gas isn't running, so you should just get a minor escape when you pull the pipe off :y
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 22 November 2014, 21:48:40 »

Mine has an automatic cut off valve that shuts when it loses power.  So disconnect the battery or pull the fuse.  :y  or it might have a valve on the tank so that you can manually cut off the gas.  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 22 November 2014, 21:50:43 »

Thanks chaps.

I'm thinking that if I lift the bonnet in the morning and the 'hissing' has gone, then the pressure in the pipe has diminished.  I just didn't know if there was a valve in the outlet of the tank or not.

Any special pipe for Gas, or is it normal hose?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 22 November 2014, 21:52:09 »

Thanks chaps.

I'm thinking that if I lift the bonnet in the morning and the 'hissing' has gone, then the pressure in the pipe has diminished.  I just didn't know if there was a valve in the outlet of the tank or not.

I think the pipe has to meet a certain spec, can't remember what though! Have a browse round tinleytech to see if its mentioned there ;)
Grumpy old man

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 22 November 2014, 21:54:48 »

Thanks chaps.

I think the pipe has to meet a certain spec, can't remember what though! Have a browse round tinleytech to see if its mentioned there ;)

Thank you TB.  I'll replace it with some standard hose tomorrow and get some proper hose in the week.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 22 November 2014, 22:01:05 »

Hopefully solve your problem.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 22 November 2014, 22:12:55 »

Hopefully solve your problem.  :y

Thanks, I hope so too.  Looking at everything which has been installed, we are looking at 12mm pipe, not 8 or 10, massive injectors and a decent Reducer.  I strongly believe this system was installed to cope with the engine.  The leak is quite evident (if you can hear, which I struggle with).

It was only because I couldn't re-fit the new LED sidelight bulbs that I asked the Missus to come out and help (smaller hands).  She said, "What's that sizzling noise?"..... Of course, I couldn't hear it.

When I placed my nose near where she said the 'sizzling' was, I could smell the gas.  That smell is evident in the cabin under WOT, so I'm thinking (hoping) when the leak is sorted, the WOT problems will be sorted too.

05omegav6

« Reply #74 on: 22 November 2014, 22:17:29 »

If it's leaking at the clip, simply cut the pipe end off, about 3/4" should do it, then wrap the pipe with a turn of insulation tape and refit the clip :y

ISO7480 is marine fuel hose standard, expect it's not too far removed from that, but Tinley Tech will put you straight in no time at all :y

They're a little pricey, but they know their onions and the service is, in my experience, beyond reproach :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.