Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Diesel Auto ?  (Read 12053 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Diesel Auto ?
« Reply #30 on: 04 December 2014, 10:46:37 »

So is my Touareg,I wouldn't want that with the fourth pedal ::) ;)

Hang on..

Accelerator, brake, clutch … fourth pedal?

;D

My auto Merc has three pedals ....... throttle, brake & emergency/parking brake  ;) ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #31 on: 04 December 2014, 10:49:22 »

That's all I could think of Andy, but I thought that was unique to Mercedes (thankfully) and not VAG cars like the Tuareg..

As for automated manuals - ditto for the SMG and, really, SMG-II in the BMW, Andy.. Although the DSG (or whatever it is BMW call it, I forget) in the E9x and onward is infinitely better.

I went down to Porsche a month or so ago (I know, I know, rich, etc etc) and asked if they could find a 997.2 911 C2 or C2S Cabriolet (so 2009-2012 model) with a manual gearbox for me to try.. they're still trying to find one. Apparently almost everyone went for the PDK gearbox once Porsche did away with the tiptronic (which was really just a slush box)..

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #32 on: 04 December 2014, 10:49:57 »

Personally I'm amazed the manual gearbox still exists in this century in all but the most driver-focused cars like Caterhams etc.. I'd imagine it's purely down to extra costs of manufacture and fractional lower mpg.......

On the later bmw diesels the mpg of the auto is better around town than the manual and marginally quicker 0-60mph:y
Not much in it combined.  :)

::)

so goes faster with less fuel... yep..when the fish climbs the tree ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #33 on: 04 December 2014, 10:51:45 »

Hang on..

;D

My auto Merc has three pedals ....... throttle, brake & emergency/parking brake  ;) ;)

parking brake is in the most left (left hand drive) near the pillar and not near the usual pedal set.. so not counted ;D ;)
« Last Edit: 04 December 2014, 10:54:26 by cem »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #34 on: 04 December 2014, 10:53:07 »

That's all I could think of Andy, but I thought that was unique to Mercedes (thankfully) and not VAG cars like the Tuareg..

As for automated manuals - ditto for the SMG and, really, SMG-II in the BMW, Andy.. Although the DSG (or whatever it is BMW call it, I forget) in the E9x and onward is infinitely better.

I went down to Porsche a month or so ago (I know, I know, rich, etc etc) and asked if they could find a 997.2 911 C2 or C2S Cabriolet (so 2009-2012 model) with a manual gearbox for me to try.. they're still trying to find one. Apparently almost everyone went for the PDK gearbox once Porsche did away with the tiptronic (which was really just a slush box)..

both smg and dsg's are automated manuals and not relevant with the usual slush boxes that the omega have..

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04 December 2014, 10:58:48 »

Hang on..

;D

Ah yes, Mr Beanz.

I wondered what the f**k it was when I first saw this 'strange device'

In practice......and after some practice, it works pretty well after a fashion. :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #36 on: 04 December 2014, 11:00:52 »

Hang on..

;D

Ah yes, Mr Beanz.

In practice......and after some practice, it works pretty well after a fashion. :y

it may work but all proper cars have a hand brake ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 04 December 2014, 11:02:31 »

Ah yes, Mr Beanz.

I rarely use it.

I'd come across them years ago when one of the funeral places my Dad worked at had a US 'station wagon' as a hearse and then used one in the early 80s when I hired a car in Florida. The other lads that hired a car stumbled at the first hurdle trying to get their car to move because they'd never come across one.  :y :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 04 December 2014, 11:02:53 »

Just a few short years ago this 'device of the devil' would have been considered heresy.

How times change.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 04 December 2014, 11:03:11 »

they do ............ P for park  ::)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 04 December 2014, 11:10:13 »

Personally I'm amazed the manual gearbox still exists in this century in all but the most driver-focused cars like Caterhams etc.. I'd imagine it's purely down to extra costs of manufacture and fractional lower mpg.......

On the later bmw diesels the mpg of the auto is better around town than the manual and marginally quicker 0-60mph:y

The fish must be climbing the trees then Cem.  ;) ;D :y
I speak from my daily personal experience, so I'd like to think that I'm in a position to comment on this.  ;)
Times have changed, technology has moved on, and you have flappy paddles to play with if you get bored.  ::) ;) :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 04 December 2014, 11:12:27 »

Hang on..

;D

Ah yes, Mr Beanz.

I have to agree, Cem.

After trying both I much prefer a conventional handbrake.

It's like the difference between a gas cooker and an electric cooker. One allows far more control than the other. :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 04 December 2014, 11:27:54 »

On the later bmw diesels the mpg of the auto is better around town than the manual and marginally quicker 0-60mph.  :y

As engine efficiency increases there is no reason for this not to occur ... at one extreme compare the power/efficiency of a cast iron engine lump of 40 years ago to a present day engine, at the other compare the power efficiency of last years F1 cars to this years beasts.

Technology moves on, but some luddites don't ......   :)  :)  :)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 04 December 2014, 11:35:43 »

Oooh, well I wrote a reply, but 14(!) replies had been written in the time it took me to write mine. It appears much of what I was going to say has already been said... it went like

All fair enough - what I'm really saying is there are plenty of elements of car design which generations saw disappear, which each previous generation saw/lamented its passing, just thinking off the top of my head...

Hand-cranking (stupid electric motor adding weight, etc.. just maintain your car properly and it's go after the first crank or two)
Manual choke (the lost 'art' of where to have it and when, why do we need these swanky 'automatic' chokes)
Chassis, over monocoque construction (end of bespoke coachbuilding)
Proper Chrome bumpers (designed to protect the car, not deform at the slightest knock, and cost hundreds to replace/repair, as opposed to 15 mins with Autosol)
Power steering (more weight - exactly why do you need PAS on a Corsa? Skinny tyres + large steering wheel = worked for donkeys years)

and most recently...

Petrol (in 2010 Diesel overtook Petrol sales for the first time. Oh woe! Diesel isn't a 'proper' fuel etc.. Diseasel etc..  )

I'm not saying this is a list that can't be counter-argued, I'm sure it will, just that

Personally I'm amazed the manual gearbox still exists in this century in all but the most driver-focused cars like Caterhams etc.. I'd imagine it's purely down to extra costs of manufacture and fractional lower mpg..  :)

why ?   drivers who are capable of shifting still prefer manual..  2-3 litre 95 ron fuel difference per 100 km makes a lot of cost for the life time of car..

Yes, totally, however, as I said, cars weighing many hundreds of kilos more now that they did 20 yrs ago also ads to fuel consumption, but this hasn't deterred manufacturers/buyers. Just imagine what the mpg - and speed - would be on a Mk 1 Astra, with a modern 1.4 engine, with all the emissions PC junk taken off. Just imagine what carrying 400 kgs of weight around with you all the time would do to your mpg.

On the later bmw diesels the mpg of the auto is better around town than the manual and marginally quicker 0-60mph.  :y

Again - there we go, autos are not 'automatically' (no pun intended) less fuel efficient. Not having a pop at all you manual drivers, of course, it's just for me, a car that does the gearchanging for you is as convenient as a car that tells me when the brake pads are worn badly, or adjusts the rear drums itself, and has electrically powered windows, heated seats etc...  :)

I'd add that, as mentioned by previous poster, the eleccy handbrake is another feature that some say is better, others lament the passing of a 'proper' handbrake. Eee technology, in't it marvellous!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

aaronjb

« Reply #44 on: 04 December 2014, 11:55:48 »

I'd hazard a guess that part of the reason the BMW auto is more efficient (and quicker) is that it's (if memory serves) an 8 speed automatic vs a 6 speed manual..

That lets you tune the engine with a fairly narrow power band (it's easy to make an engine very efficient but only in a narrow range of operating parameters, otherwise you have to compromise and make it reasonable efficient over a wider range of parameters) and use the gearbox to make sure you're always within that power band.  Not to mention that with 8 speeds you can lock the torque convertor up a lot more of the time, making it behave much more like a regular manual gearbox.

.. and anyone would get bored shuffling 8 cogs manually so that rules out 8 speed manuals ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.