Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Diesel Auto ?  (Read 12055 times)

chrisgixer

Re: Diesel Auto ?
« Reply #75 on: 04 December 2014, 22:26:45 »

Are you stalking me again?

Yes. :y
I'm agreeing with you. Don't knock it, it doesn't happen that often.
Now stop worrying about cars and start thinking about how you're going to get anyone to come to your Christmas party. ;D
In dont like agreeing with you, it leeds to bad places.

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 04 December 2014, 22:29:52 »

Cem has spoken.  Everyone else is wrong FAKT!

ok.. I said 2 things..

1 -  I dont like diesels and autos or combination
2 -  manuals consume less and accelerate faster.. statistically true and widely accepted fact..

any exception of automated manuals or rocket science trannies with XXXX gears wont change the fact

and this truth dont belong to me.. its universal..

Ok, God has spoken, no use arguing. You will only get a headache. Which is often what I get when I read God's posts.  ::)
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #77 on: 04 December 2014, 22:34:21 »

A diesel auto is, in my opinion, highly desirable. ....in theory.

However, ignoring the horrendous physics of running a fuel system at 450bar(7000odd psi :o )for a minute, my concern with a front wheel drive auto especially is, limited space between the front wheels means a transvers engine of a gay wheel drive means there simply isn't room to fit an auto box on the end of the engine WITHOUT OFFSETTING THE DRIVE LINE.

As you all know the omega is rear wheel drive and the engine is mounted pointing forwards. Not side ways. This means there is acres of room to fit an auto box on the end of the engine before the rear wheels and axle get in the way.

On a front wheel drive, you have to take the drive from the crank and make the drive go round corners to fit all the gears in between the road wheel and the end of the crank. This means extra weaknesses in the drive line of the auto gear box on front wheel drives that simply don't exist on rear wheel drives.

Then, add in the low down torque of a diesel,( which is bad for autos as we know from the omega tractors killing ar25's if chipped, and sometimes even if not chipped,) then we have even more potential for the torque of a diesel destroying the auto box.

Add in possibly towing, poor servicing, and an aggressive driving style on top of that,  and the odds of an auto seeing more than 60k on a front wheel drive diesel is, I would say, possibly reduced.

Some manufacturers are better than others of course, (Aisin Warner are exceptionally poor with plastic parts in the valve body) but imo, avoid a front wheel drive diesel auto, unless your prepared to do a great deal more research than asking on here in order to avoid a large bill for auto box repair.

Tread veeeeeery carefully, imo.

Heavy car, torquey engine, front wheel drive, auto box...... Bad idea, sadly. Although hopefully more modern autos have had the weaknesses engineered out by now. But how to know before buying?

good one Chris.. :y

but dont be hopeful, those diesels have a turbo heating upto 900-1000 degrees frequently, pressured air lines, intercooler, wastegate, related sensors and controllers.. which is not existent on a na car..   and personally I wouldnt bet when they will fail ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #78 on: 04 December 2014, 22:37:42 »

ok.. I said 2 things..

2 -  manuals consume less and accelerate faster.. statistically true and widely accepted fact..

any exception of automated manuals or rocket science trannies with XXXX gears wont change the fact

Ok, God has spoken, no use arguing. You will only get a headache. Which is often what I get when I read God's posts.  ::)

ok.. go buy one auto diesel and share your experience later :)

chrisgixer

« Reply #79 on: 04 December 2014, 22:38:46 »

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 04 December 2014, 22:41:55 »

ok.. I said 2 things..

I've had two diesel autos,both turbo,both have high milage and both drive beautifully,probably two of the best cars I've owned and there have been many.
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

chrisgixer

« Reply #82 on: 04 December 2014, 22:58:04 »

I knew it. Daily fail reader! ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #83 on: 04 December 2014, 22:59:54 »

I knew it. Daily fail reader! ;D

believe me I'm fed up cleaning diesel particles from my hood and roof periodically.. dirty tractors..

chrisgixer

« Reply #84 on: 04 December 2014, 23:29:48 »

My beliefs have nothing at all to do with anything the Daily Fail, or Cem, says :y

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 05 December 2014, 00:22:02 »

ok.. I said 2 things..

Well what can I say? A pleasure to drive, no problems in the daily commute, having to keep your foot on the third pedal, quick kickdown or manual using the flappy controls giving all the advantage of a manual with the convenience of an auto.

You even drive with spirit if you want, unless you race or rally then why would you drive a manual? the world is progressing........... :y :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 05 December 2014, 09:58:01 »

but dont be hopeful, those diesels have a turbo heating upto 900-1000 degrees frequently, pressured air lines, intercooler, wastegate, related sensors and controllers.. which is not existent on a na car..   and personally I wouldnt bet when they will fail ;D

Well they don't on a diesel though CEM, the exhaust temperatures are much lower than petrol engines (you have to work hard to get them up to 500-600 degrees to regen DPF's.

Of course no waste gates either and the only other sensor is a manifold pressure sensor which is pretty bomb proof (might want cleaning every 50K miles).

I should add we have an Insignia diesel Auto and a few others including an A4 2.0 diesel auto here at work. I am no fan of the Insignia as it has a few to many fundamental design issues (particularly the hatch back) but the Insignia knocks spots off the A4 and is pretty smooth to drive (but annoying when you use it in semi auto and it comes up with 'shift denied' because the resulting engine revs will be below 1500rpm)

05omegav6

« Reply #87 on: 05 December 2014, 10:10:19 »

The Eclass box is a bit like that... you have to physically force it to change up into top below 45 mph, and it doesn't always stick...

Kills the economy, but guess it's related to the Torque Convertor limitations :-\

aaronjb

« Reply #88 on: 05 December 2014, 10:20:46 »

Must admit I sometimes find myself thinking I should have got the auto Ranger rather than the manual; on paper it's only ~1mpg difference and I spend most of my life in traffic.

Then again, it's not a bad gearbox and it's much easier to drive like a lunatic with the manual box  :-[

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #89 on: 05 December 2014, 10:24:41 »

Well they don't on a diesel though CEM, the exhaust temperatures are much lower than petrol engines (you have to work hard to get them up to 500-600 degrees to regen DPF's.

Of course no waste gates either and the only other sensor is a manifold pressure sensor which is pretty bomb proof (might want cleaning every 50K miles).

I should add we have an Insignia diesel Auto and a few others including an A4 2.0 diesel auto here at work. I am no fan of the Insignia as it has a few to many fundamental design issues (particularly the hatch back) but the Insignia knocks spots off the A4 and is pretty smooth to drive (but annoying when you use it in semi auto and it comes up with 'shift denied' because the resulting engine revs will be below 1500rpm)

you forgot the turbo and intercooler  ::)

by the way my egt quickly reaches 500 celcius in fifth gear without turbo kicking if I touch the accelerator a "bit" ..  and thats with an equal length ex.manifold.. most diesels have log type which rockets the egt..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 17 queries.