Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Kwik Fit fitter  (Read 3236 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Kwik Fit fitter
« Reply #15 on: 22 January 2015, 13:34:29 »

Really against the things, myself. Just think it's a case of going backwards. Mind, I suppose from the accountants viewpoint, why fit a spare tyre which no-one will know how to use, or what to do with? People don't think to do anything themselves, and don't want to, don't care, let someone else get mucky. That said, I'm one of them people that thinks that breakdown companies shouldn't attend a flat tyre - when there's a perfectly good spare in the boot - you know how to fit it, do it yourself! And let the breakdown companies get on with rescuing the people who have serious car/engine maladies, not 'run our of fuel/flat tyre/lost my car keys, oh, sorry, they're in the ignition, sorry Mr AA man' etc... I don't ring my house insurance if I run out of food in my own home!  :D
Two things.
According to the  manufacturers, there is no spare tyre to save weight, thus decreasing the exhaust emissions. Once one did it, the rest followed suit.
My wife wouldn't know how to change a spare wheel and I wouldn't want her to try. That's why we pay our subscription, you see. Plus, we are unlikely to break down because we have modern, reliable cars. I personally think anyone who drives an omega should pay a premium, because the patrolman is likely to be giving the kiss of life to some clapped out old barge when he could be changing her wheel. :)

Also, thinking about it, if I got a puncture in one of the offside wheels whilst driving on a motorway, I would call them out. I don't really want to be disembowelled on the hard shoulder by some pissed-up foreign truck driver who's having a wank while looking at his laptop.

Agreed.....a pissed-up and wanking British truck driver would be far more considerate...... ;D ;D ;D

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 January 2015, 14:52:28 »

Im not one for Q'Fit but ringing around yesterday for new tyres , they beat the quotes i got elsewhere by £40 per tyre  :o So went along an must admit this time they were very good , gave me more discount at the end plus £5 off the next shop . Going to get 2 more fitted there again  :y Oh and waiter service cups of coffee while waiting  :) :) :) :)
Omegatitis

AndyRoid

• Hants
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 January 2015, 17:47:31 »

But you should reasonably expect a tyre fitter to have a rough idea ::)
A few years ago I took our Isuzu Bighorn (Jap version of the Trooper) to our local Kwik Shit in Aldershot to have the one of the rear wheel valves replaced as it was leaking moderately badly after a kerb had been clipped by the old lady.
The so called tyre fitter removed 5 wheelnuts and then spent the best part of 10 minutes beating the crap out of the rear wheel before announcing that it was stuck to the hub and there was nothing he could do.

He looked truly amazed when I pointed out there was actually 6 wheelnuts that needed to be removed in order to get the wheel off, and still to this day I can't work out how he missed that fact......still, you get what you pay for I guess.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 January 2015, 18:30:08 »

But you should reasonably expect a tyre fitter to have a rough idea ::)
A few years ago I took our Isuzu Bighorn (Jap version of the Trooper) to our local Kwik Shit in Aldershot to have the one of the rear wheel valves replaced as it was leaking moderately badly after a kerb had been clipped by the old lady.
The so called tyre fitter removed 5 wheelnuts and then spent the best part of 10 minutes beating the crap out of the rear wheel before announcing that it was stuck to the hub and there was nothing he could do.

He looked truly amazed when I pointed out there was actually 6 wheelnuts that needed to be removed in order to get the wheel off, and still to this day I can't work out how he missed that fact......still, you get what you pay for I guess.
So how many wheelnuts did he put back on then.  ::)

firemoth

• Preston, Lancashire
    • Vauxhall omega 2.2dti est
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 January 2015, 19:15:23 »

Really against the things, myself. Just think it's a case of going backwards. Mind, I suppose from the accountants viewpoint, why fit a spare tyre which no-one will know how to use, or what to do with? People don't think to do anything themselves, and don't want to, don't care, let someone else get mucky. That said, I'm one of them people that thinks that breakdown companies shouldn't attend a flat tyre - when there's a perfectly good spare in the boot - you know how to fit it, do it yourself! And let the breakdown companies get on with rescuing the people who have serious car/engine maladies, not 'run our of fuel/flat tyre/lost my car keys, oh, sorry, they're in the ignition, sorry Mr AA man' etc... I don't ring my house insurance if I run out of food in my own home!  :D
Two things.
According to the  manufacturers, there is no spare tyre to save weight, thus decreasing the exhaust emissions. Once one did it, the rest followed suit.
My wife wouldn't know how to change a spare wheel and I wouldn't want her to try. That's why we pay our subscription, you see. Plus, we are unlikely to break down because we have modern, reliable cars. I personally think anyone who drives an omega should pay a premium, because the patrolman is likely to be giving the kiss of life to some clapped out old barge when he could be changing her wheel. :)

Also, thinking about it, if I got a puncture in one of the offside wheels whilst driving on a motorway, I would call them out. I don't really want to be disembowelled on the hard shoulder by some pissed-up foreign truck driver who's having a wank while looking at his laptop.

Agreed.....a pissed-up and wanking British truck driver would be far more considerate...... ;D ;D ;D

I was going to say I'm glad he said foreign.......

I might be a truck driver. And no I don't

AndyRoid

• Hants
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 January 2015, 21:04:38 »

So how many wheelnuts did he put back on then.  ::)
[/quote]
I was watching him like a hawk all the way through the job, and also made sure the nuts (or rather bolts) were put back on with a torque wrench as opposed to the gun.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 January 2015, 22:00:55 »

It's not just Quick Fit. I took SWMBOs Hyundai to Charlie Browns (are they still trading?  :-\) for a puncture repair. The 'tyre fitter' then proceeded to pull & tug at the trim trying to get it off. He too looked amazed when I pointed out that the trim was held on by plastic 'circlips' on the nuts. It must've been the first Lantra he'd seen  ::)

firemoth

• Preston, Lancashire
    • Vauxhall omega 2.2dti est
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 January 2015, 22:50:14 »

It's not just Quick Fit. I took SWMBOs Hyundai to Charlie Browns (are they still trading?  :-\) for a puncture repair. The 'tyre fitter' then proceeded to pull & tug at the trim trying to get it off. He too looked amazed when I pointed out that the trim was held on by plastic 'circlips' on the nuts. It must've been the first Lantra he'd seen  ::)

Haha I did the exact same thing on a kia sedona I had. I actually tapped them to make sure they weren't alloys even though I new they were wheel caps. Stumped me to I noticed the wheel bolts seemed suspiciously real.....
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.