Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing top strut mounts  (Read 3538 times)

05omegav6

Re: Changing top strut mounts
« Reply #15 on: 12 March 2015, 11:52:02 »

Releasing the tension in situ, with the full weight of the car on it from the other side of the wing is arguably safer than doing it on a bench...

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 March 2015, 11:54:12 »

Take your logic there.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 March 2015, 13:43:50 »

Top bearings now fitted. Ordered yesterday turned up this morning at 10 job finished by 1.30. Quite surprised how easy they are. Because I didn't want to disturb the camber I dropped out the bottom ball joint. Left the steering arm connected bs just dropped the strut out.

Used spring compressors and mounts swapped over.. Found it easier to do than wishbones..

Can't believe how much quieter it is, steering lighter too.. No crashing and banging over potholes..

Merlindriver

• Shropshire
  • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 March 2015, 14:33:41 »

Does the top mount come as a single unit or is it a box of bits that have to be assembled in order to replicate the original?

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 March 2015, 14:40:01 »

Merlindriver

• Shropshire
  • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 March 2015, 15:06:52 »

Thanks for that - I am just totting up how much £ and time is needed to keep mine on the road. It's rapidly becoming uneconomical on both I think.

05omegav6

« Reply #21 on: 17 March 2015, 15:58:25 »

Thanks for that - I am just totting up how much £ and time is needed to keep mine on the road. It's rapidly becoming uneconomical on both I think.
Believe me, the difference to the way the car drives and feels is worth every single penny three times over :y

If the car is truly that much of a shed, it is uneconomical to fuel it, yet you'll keep driving it until the MoT or tax run out ::)

Merlindriver

• Shropshire
  • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 March 2015, 16:09:27 »

Sad thing is it's not a shed - cosmetically. OK it has a few scuffs here and there but it's still shiny and bar the small burn mark on the seat the interior is great - the back seat has been sat on less than a dozen times I reckon. On the go it is sweet but things just seem to have happened all at once - over the last 8 months really. To fix the strut bushes, do the cambelt change, fix the cats and the oil leak, possibly the thermostat is going to set me back best part of a grand if I do it myself, and then it'll be worth less than that because people don't appreciate how good Omegas are. There is always the concern about what's round the corner as well.

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 March 2015, 16:13:23 »

Does the top mount come as a single unit or is it a box of bits that have to be assembled in order to replicate the original?

They came complete, rubber bush and bearing in the same box.

05omegav6

« Reply #24 on: 17 March 2015, 16:30:04 »

They came complete, rubber bush and bearing in the same box.
Depends what you buy and where from :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 March 2015, 16:58:55 »

Sad thing is it's not a shed - cosmetically. OK it has a few scuffs here and there but it's still shiny and bar the small burn mark on the seat the interior is great - the back seat has been sat on less than a dozen times I reckon. On the go it is sweet but things just seem to have happened all at once - over the last 8 months really. To fix the strut bushes, do the cambelt change, fix the cats and the oil leak, possibly the thermostat is going to set me back best part of a grand if I do it myself, and then it'll be worth less than that because people don't appreciate how good Omegas are. There is always the concern about what's round the corner as well.

I'm sure that there's plenty on here can save you more than a couple of quid off that bill in-particular, and I knwo what youmean, cambelt is the cambelt - but safe to say most cars on the roads will need them doing at some point.

Just remember the difference between a car you know, and costs you money, vs the cost of chucking it in the bin, replacing it with another car - and the associated gamble that the replacement car may/may not need work just round the corner. Also don't forget how easy (relatively) Omegas are to work on - and how much is still in the realms of the home mechanic. It almost terrifies me what'll be the state of play in 10-15 years, will bonnets be welded shut at the factory?  :o
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 17 queries.