Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Suitable replacement for a 1.2 litre Corsa>  (Read 4941 times)

Merlindriver

• Shropshire
  • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Suitable replacement for a 1.2 litre Corsa>
« Reply #30 on: 17 March 2015, 15:18:49 »

Reality is, Renaults have always had issues, I recall when the old man worked for them and the list of electrical issues was horrific....then of course, they used to rot (less so these days actually).....so the trick was always buy the base models and learn to weld.

Daughter had a nice little Corsa until the cambelt broke. Picked up a "good" clit 1.2 from a friend and to be honest it has been ok. However, the electrics are crap - it keeps throwing up what I'd call a full set of dash warnings which is something to do with the wiring under the seat. I have tried to fix it loads of times but it comes back, sometimes when driving other times on start. A fumble under the seat sorts it for a while. It also sprang a leak from the sunroof - a common problem it turns out caused by them assembling it with a bit of that white foam door seal from B&Q or the like which was overlapped at the end. OK when new and springy but afer 6 years flat as a pankake and about as water resistant!

It does have some nice touches though. Doors re-lock automatically if you unlock them but don't enter the car and if the wipers are on the rear one comes on automatically when you select reverse. Wouldn't have one again though.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17 March 2015, 15:37:29 »

Reality is, Renaults have always had issues, I recall when the old man worked for them and the list of electrical issues was horrific....then of course, they used to rot (less so these days actually).....so the trick was always buy the base models and learn to weld.

Daughter had a nice little Corsa until the cambelt broke. Picked up a "good" clit 1.2 from a friend and to be honest it has been ok. However, the electrics are crap - it keeps throwing up what I'd call a full set of dash warnings which is something to do with the wiring under the seat. I have tried to fix it loads of times but it comes back, sometimes when driving other times on start. A fumble under the seat sorts it for a while. It also sprang a leak from the sunroof - a common problem it turns out caused by them assembling it with a bit of that white foam door seal from B&Q or the like which was overlapped at the end. OK when new and springy but afer 6 years flat as a pankake and about as water resistant!

It does have some nice touches though. Doors re-lock automatically if you unlock them but don't enter the car and if the wipers are on the rear one comes on automatically when you select reverse. Wouldn't have one again though.

That must have been a Corsa B then as the 1.2 has been a chain setup since the late 90's  :y

As said before, I would take a belt over a chain every time but then I am able to do the required changes myself  :y

Merlindriver

• Shropshire
  • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 17 March 2015, 16:13:05 »

Sadly the Corsa was my fault. I suspected the history I got when we bought it might be dodgy so I was planning to do the cambelt later that month - oops.  :-[

Once bitten and despite knowing its history the first thing I did was change the clit belt - nice and easy and no need to tension it by rotating the water pump like on a Corsa!   >:(

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17 March 2015, 16:15:18 »

I am fairly certain the 1.4 Corsa C's had belts. The autos used 1.4 engines.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 17 March 2015, 19:12:33 »

That rings a bell with a certain 106 i had  ::) Those little clit's seem a bit better than a pug on build quality but still crap .. not bad as a cheap runabout
Omegatitis

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 18 March 2015, 08:39:42 »

I am fairly certain the 1.4 Corsa C's had belts. The autos used 1.4 engines.

They did, cracking engine in a Corsa the X14XE (16V with pretty much the same belt and tensioner setup as the 2.0 Omega)....this later changed to a timing chain (bored/stroked version of the 1.2)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 17 queries.