Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Planning an engine rebuild.  (Read 4185 times)

The Sheriff

Re: Planning an engine rebuild.
« Reply #30 on: 15 March 2015, 21:17:40 »

I used to love working on my cars up to the Ford Sierra and then technology started getting a bit tricky and  when my Senator came along I decided to delegate the care of my cars to someone who could do it without moaning and whingeing like me!! and since then I just don't want to get involved anymore...sad but true :'( ;D
I gave up after my triumph herald, now that was an engine you could get at. ;D

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
  • VX Trade Card, Halfords Trade Card. Neat.
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #31 on: 15 March 2015, 21:24:50 »

I recently bought a Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow II. Loads of room in the engine bay, but reaching any of the car's vital organs is a bit tricky due to the width and height of the ol' bus!  ;D
http://www.irmscherMV6.com | #irmscherMV6
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

The Sheriff

« Reply #32 on: 15 March 2015, 21:28:43 »

I recently bought a Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow II. Loads of room in the engine bay, but reaching any of the car's vital organs is a bit tricky due to the width and height of the ol' bus!  ;D
Bet Mark would love a play with that baby.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16 March 2015, 13:41:48 »

Well, I don't agree with the complete list, you re-build/refurb what needs doing, this isn't a crappy old cross flow or Mini lump where its pretty much a given that it will all need sorting  ;D :y

So that's a strip down, measure and check job.

I suspect, knowing the V6, you will find the bores fine and the crank fine as will be the valves and guides. As a result, honing the bores (easy enough to do), new rings (check pistons but probably ok), new mains and big ends would see it as good as new.

As an example, We currently have a 680 in bits which will have seen a lot of use and it will most likely have been re-built before. The crank is still standard size........and once cleaned and measured, it most likely will remain that way (first impressions). This needs two liners and a piston due to how it failed but little else.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 16 March 2015, 15:48:33 »

Another idea...

If you're looking at throwing this much money at it, why don't you direct it at preventing it rusting, as that is probably what will kill most Omegas long before the engine fails?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

davieboy0312

• wishaw
    • 3l V6 saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 16 March 2015, 20:04:31 »

I can vouch for that. Plenty of rust here

ted_one

« Reply #36 on: 16 March 2015, 20:11:28 »

All three are going up to Rustbuster in Lincolnshire during the summer, so yes I have that in hand also,and the Elite is going up to Serek's on Thursday for him to decide as to what's to be done. Would'nt be doing any of this if I wasn't going to keep the cars for the foreseeable future. ::)

davieboy0312

• wishaw
    • 3l V6 saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 16 March 2015, 20:34:40 »

Last count I had rust both boot corners, both lower quarters, both arches, both sills, passenger front chassis leg and front crossmember :-[ :-[. All done now but a pain

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 16 March 2015, 20:41:18 »

All three are going up to Rustbuster in Lincolnshire during the summer, so yes I have that in hand also,and the Elite is going up to Serek's on Thursday for him to decide as to what's to be done. Would'nt be doing any of this if I wasn't going to keep the cars for the foreseeable future. ::)

Fair play to you.

I need to get the rustproofing work done on my two as well, just always another job creeps in beforehand!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.