Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Planning an engine rebuild.  (Read 4133 times)

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
Re: Planning an engine rebuild.
« Reply #15 on: 15 March 2015, 15:49:19 »

When I last enquired, it was £1,609 for an Omega Y32SE engine, with I think a three year warranty.

The part number was; R1000151A

ted_one

« Reply #16 on: 15 March 2015, 15:53:08 »

Thanks Josh,now that does seem reasonable,did you go through your local VX dealer? and did you do the deal or was that just an enquiry?

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 March 2015, 15:55:51 »

Yep, went through my local dealer, very helpful!

I did go through with it, it was for a client in France, he wanted a new engine for his '03' Elite. It had covered 12,300 miles, but then he damaged the sump and knackered it  :o

ted_one

« Reply #18 on: 15 March 2015, 16:26:37 »

Probably nearer the £2k mark now, but with various new ancillaries that will have to be replaced in the build up and obviously they would have to be genuine VX due to the warranty restrictions,I would hazard a guess that the bottom line with labour added would be pushing £4-4.5k. So not impossible budget wise,but a lot of money/time investment which is going to come out of my Monaro stash.Think Nick W and Kevin Wood have stated their case wisely and so if it's not to broke then less is more I guess.Top end will get the attention needed and the Monaro will be that much closer :y

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 March 2015, 18:26:13 »

just before Christmas I rebuild my 3.2 and that was lots of time and money spend on that engine.
must say for price what you can buy brand new engine wont do rebuild again on omega for sure.

ted_one

« Reply #20 on: 15 March 2015, 19:05:00 »

PM Incoming :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 March 2015, 19:09:06 »

If it is of interest you can find out the cost of new vx engines fro the TC site. In the region of £1500 when I last looked out of interest. I know not whats included in that though I.e. Just block n heads?

Anyways, why not buy a block n heads from a breaker off 'ere then put it on a stand and work on it as and when you can) and then you can go as crazy as you like with stripping it down.

I got a 3 litre block with heads and when I stop spending money on tools get paid I'm getting a stand and doing that. Not cos I think I have a problem but cos I'm sad  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

ted_one

« Reply #22 on: 15 March 2015, 19:21:44 »

Absolutely no where to work on the car and absolutely no will to do so,I'm limited to cleaning,driving and breaking them....so me no fixee ;D Decision made as to what's to be done on the car and hopefully plans will be firmed up shortly....with luck  :-X ;)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 March 2015, 19:43:38 »

Absolutely no where to work on the car and absolutely no will to do so,I'm limited to cleaning,driving and breaking them....so me no fixee ;D Decision made as to what's to be done on the car and hopefully plans will be firmed up shortly....with luck  :-X ;)

Got ya. Then fair enough mate  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
  • VX Trade Card, Halfords Trade Card. Neat.
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #24 on: 15 March 2015, 19:56:57 »

Decision made as to what's to be done on the car and hopefully plans will be firmed up shortly....with luck  :-X ;)

Care to elaborate? Tbh, if the only complaint is that your car is pumping out a small amount of blue smoke, you could just ignore it strip the engine, replace piston rings and renew gaskets before throwing it back together again. iirc, exchange engines from Vauxhall are re-manufactured anyway (as opposed to brand new engines). You could give your bare block and heads to a firm like Ivor Searle and get them to acid dip and hone etc. before getting someone to reassemble the lot for you.
« Last Edit: 15 March 2015, 20:01:23 by humbucker »
http://www.irmscherMV6.com | #irmscherMV6
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

ted_one

« Reply #25 on: 15 March 2015, 20:02:48 »

Looks very likely.... going to Huntingdon,have contacted Serek, and will leave it in his capable hands,very impressed with him last time :y

ted_one

« Reply #26 on: 15 March 2015, 20:23:18 »

I would love to have Webby's and your own skills,commitment and patience, which I envy, but unfortunately I have severe anger management issues with spanners and cars and have relegated myself to the position of gopher.Therefore I prefer to out source the work on the cars, basically for my own sanity, and peace and quiet for the neighbours. Also I'm a bit OCD about the cars and a little puff of blue smoke is nothing much to worry about I agree...but nonetheless its going to get sorted anyway......hopefully :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 March 2015, 20:46:24 »

Having now worked in a garage for a couple of months I'm noticing that there's still a lot of skills to be learned

Weirdly though I can't play computer games cos they get me angry. To the point where I've broken the occasional control pad  :o :'(
RIP Paul Lovejoy

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
  • VX Trade Card, Halfords Trade Card. Neat.
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #28 on: 15 March 2015, 20:57:57 »

Also I'm a bit OCD about the cars and a little puff of blue smoke is nothing much to worry about I agree...but nonetheless its going to get sorted anyway......hopefully :y

A man after my own heart
http://www.irmscherMV6.com | #irmscherMV6
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

ted_one

« Reply #29 on: 15 March 2015, 21:08:22 »

I used to love working on my cars up to the Ford Sierra and then technology started getting a bit tricky and  when my Senator came along I decided to delegate the care of my cars to someone who could do it without moaning and whingeing like me!! and since then I just don't want to get involved anymore...sad but true :'( ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.012 seconds with 18 queries.