Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fault Code roulette  (Read 5877 times)

05omegav6

Re: Fault Code roulette
« Reply #15 on: 18 March 2015, 02:24:14 »

Never apart from yours then. ::)
Ahem... if you don't pack it in, I'll stop the car...
Crank sensor is practically a service item, and doesn't always throw a code... Route the new one as per the guide.

V6 Cam sensor is generally reliable, but I have changed a couple... known good second hand will suffice for testing purposes, and takes all of two minutes to change :y
To be fair I have done a couple, but that doesn't make it common... by comparison, the crank sensor is basically a 100k mile service item ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 March 2015, 12:10:39 »

Ok a quick think here.

First thing to do is check the connections on the cam sensor and ensure the wires associated with it are not trapped under the cam cover.

Double check the cam sprockets are fitted correctly (e.g. the cam locating pins are in the right slots on the sprockets)

I personally have never seen a cam sensor failure.

Make sure the Coil packs are connected (these engines will start easily and run on a single coil pack with three cylinders only firing).

So basics as a starting point, can you clear the codes at all (as unplugging various sensors etc can add more confusion)

daveo_007

• Hertfordshire
    • Campervan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 March 2015, 17:58:08 »

Ok a quick think here.

First thing to do is check the connections on the cam sensor and ensure the wires associated with it are not trapped under the cam cover.

Double check the cam sprockets are fitted correctly (e.g. the cam locating pins are in the right slots on the sprockets)

I personally have never seen a cam sensor failure.

Make sure the Coil packs are connected (these engines will start easily and run on a single coil pack with three cylinders only firing).

So basics as a starting point, can you clear the codes at all (as unplugging various sensors etc can add more confusion)

Ok from the top,
Checked cam sensor wiring all good and connected up, I even removed the sensor and left it hooked up to see if it reacted the same (it seemed to)

The cam sprockets were meticulously placed on the right number on the cam shaft and timing it took long enough with multiple revolutions to make sure it was set properly.

I've renewed the coil packs and they are well connected and correct for the banks they are on.

If it helps it runs like a pig with MAF connected disconnect it and it just idles badly but does run.

My mate tells me the cam sensor was changed in 2011 not sure whether it was VXL genuine..

Please carry on I'm thinking of ordering a MAF a cam and crank sensor then test them all to find the culprit or culprits...

Thanks all

Dave
« Last Edit: 18 March 2015, 18:00:38 by daveo_007 »

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 18 March 2015, 18:26:32 »

New Bosch Maf, known good cam sensor, and genuine crank sensor from local Vx dealer :y

Start with Maf and Cam sensor :y

daveo_007

• Hertfordshire
    • Campervan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 March 2015, 18:23:42 »

Ok,

I've ordered a MAF sensor, the cam sensor was changed in 2011 at VXL by VXL.

Once the MAF is done I'll re check the faults and then decide on cam or crank sender...

Not my money so don't want to go spending a mates money willy nilly!!

Will update at the weekend when done.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 March 2015, 07:24:07 »

Report back, obviously, but do you have an ODBII code reader you can reset all the fault codes (and trims) with? That would help give us a good starting point :y
Grumpy old man

daveo_007

• Hertfordshire
    • Campervan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 March 2015, 10:01:04 »

I do have a friend with a reader so will borrow his to check and clear...

I have noticed though, each time I did something different like disconnect the MAF and then recheck the codes they had either cleared and then produced new codes or just dropped the old codes that were no longer relevant.

As in when I statred I had about 10 codes then I tinkered with it and it went down to 4 then I ended eventually with the 2 codes for the cam sensor and MAF issue...

Due to work I've not collected and fitted the MAF yet but will report after...

daveo_007

• Hertfordshire
    • Campervan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 March 2015, 18:48:38 »

Ok,
Changed MAF still getting cam sensor fault code...

I disconnected the crank sensor and it wouldn't start and then it gave a crank sensor fault code. I reconnected the crank sensor and it started as it had been.

I disconnected the battery for ten minutes re connected then ran and rechecked the fault codes. This time I got cam sensor and random misfire code...

This car is being a pain it seems obvious but I take it I need to change the cam sensor now??

I thought I was already running out of hair  >:(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 March 2015, 19:10:30 »

Have you had the codes cleared?

Currently, the diagnosis method being employed seems to be random guessing.
Grumpy old man

daveo_007

• Hertfordshire
    • Campervan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 March 2015, 20:10:23 »

No not by the traditional method as I was unable to get my hands on any form of technical wizardry as yet.

I have found that disconnecting the battery clears the codes, as when reconnected without starting I get the continual flashing to denote  no codes showing I then start the vehicle and I do the  2 pedal test I then get the relevant codes.

After fitting the MAF that code has now stopped I'm just getting
P0340 and P0300 all others have stopped flashing up

I'm going to the Classic car restoration show on Saturday with my mate who has a reader I will get it then..

daveo_007

• Hertfordshire
    • Campervan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24 March 2015, 20:12:27 »

But otherwise yes a lot of random guessing. Do don't ask me file the winning lottery numbers this week!!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 March 2015, 22:10:32 »

No not by the traditional method as I was unable to get my hands on any form of technical wizardry as yet.

I have found that disconnecting the battery clears the codes, as when reconnected without starting I get the continual flashing to denote  no codes showing I then start the vehicle and I do the  2 pedal test I then get the relevant codes.

After fitting the MAF that code has now stopped I'm just getting
P0340 and P0300 all others have stopped flashing up

I'm going to the Classic car restoration show on Saturday with my mate who has a reader I will get it then..
The thing is, it doesn't!
Grumpy old man

daveo_007

• Hertfordshire
    • Campervan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 March 2015, 20:20:28 »

Right,

I now have an OBD II reader, I have erased the codes and tried again and it still has p0340 P0300 and P0100...

I have tried a genuine I hasten to add MAF, Cam Sensor and Crank Sensor... And near as makes no difference!!

But all is not lost because whilst under the engine I noticed the 135 exhaust was getting very hot as an exhaust with CAT would but the 246 exhaust is almost stone cold, I have checked the connection to the Coil pack and I have taken the plugs out soon after running and they are hot and showing signs of firing...

I can only think that I'm either looking at a blocked CAT or I've used the wrong timing marks on the 246 cam shaft... But I was quite religious with following the numbers from 1-4 and putting the cam sprockets onto the right pin, but the timing marks had been tipexed and  there are obviously two grooves per cam sprocket.... I'm starting to doubt myself now!!!

Does anyone know if the wrong groove on the sprocket was used whether the valves would have touched the piston crown and locked the engine on turning it.... Any way I can check without stripping the front down again???

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 March 2015, 21:09:01 »

Right,

I now have an OBD II reader, I have erased the codes and tried again and it still has p0340 P0300 and P0100...

I have tried a genuine I hasten to add MAF, Cam Sensor and Crank Sensor... And near as makes no difference!!

But all is not lost because whilst under the engine I noticed the 135 exhaust was getting very hot as an exhaust with CAT would but the 246 exhaust is almost stone cold, I have checked the connection to the Coil pack and I have taken the plugs out soon after running and they are hot and showing signs of firing...

I can only think that I'm either looking at a blocked CAT or I've used the wrong timing marks on the 246 cam shaft... But I was quite religious with following the numbers from 1-4 and putting the cam sprockets onto the right pin, but the timing marks had been tipexed and  there are obviously two grooves per cam sprocket.... I'm starting to doubt myself now!!!

Does anyone know if the wrong groove on the sprocket was used whether the valves would have touched the piston crown and locked the engine on turning it.... Any way I can check without stripping the front down again???
The answer to that is here.. post #353

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=128923.345

daveo_007

• Hertfordshire
    • Campervan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 March 2015, 21:23:07 »

Thanks I hadn't seen that one!!

Looks like the front of the engine is coming off again... When I did the belt I used an 8" long ratchet and socket to turn the engine so would be highly surprised if that would have bent a valve rather than just lock up...

Front of engine off on Sunday I think as I'm  off to the Classic car and restoration show tomorrow...

Thanks will update the post later with any and all results!!!
« Last Edit: 27 March 2015, 21:25:10 by daveo_007 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 17 queries.